What is Soll Like when there is only artificial snow?

Old February 7th 06, 08:56 AM

Default What is Soll Like when there is only artificial snow?

We got back from Soll just over a week ago. It was our first ski holiday for
about 10 years and a return to Soll after 25 years. The snow is fantastic
this year, as good or even better than in 1980 and 1981.

We'd like to book to go back next year, but I realise how lucky we've been
this year. What has Soll and the Skiwelt been like in recent years when they
have had to rely on artificial snow? We'd plan on going either the first or
third week in January.

Cheers

Mike

Old February 7th 06, 11:46 AM

It has a very poor snow record, but, at the moment, it is doing very
well. They have put in a lot of snow cannons, but it is very low, and
if it is too warm, the canons dont work either.

Apart form that, arttifical snow is the same the world over, firm.

I would never pre book Soll. It is too risky. I would go last minute
instead.

Old February 7th 06, 12:14 PM

"fat_boy" wrote in message
ups.com...
It has a very poor snow record, but, at the moment, it is doing very
well. They have put in a lot of snow cannons, but it is very low, and
if it is too warm, the canons dont work either.

Apart form that, arttifical snow is the same the world over, firm.

I would never pre book Soll. It is too risky. I would go last minute
instead.

Hmm.. I really don't know Söll, except for this year which has been
excellent but I don't think your opinion is correct on this one...Söll is
not particularly low for this part of the Alps. In fact, Söll is right near
Kitzbühel which is one of the better resorts of the world. There are only a
few resorts in this area that are much higher than 2000m which would be the
glacier resorts of Stubai and Hintertux. There are loads around 2000m -
Seefeld, Zell am See, the whole Skiwelt region which includes Söll (largest
interconnected resort in Austria), St Johann, Kitzbühel, the many resorts in
the mountains around Innsbruck etc etc.. the list just goes on.. if you are
going to say that 1800m (the height of Söll at the top) is low, then you
would have to discount almost all of Austria.

Austrian resorts are a lot lower than resorts out to the west of the Alps
but this doesn't mean that they get less snowfall. It is normally colder in
the east and reliable snow can be found most times under 1000 metres (which
certainly wouldn't be the case in France for example). I prefer this
because at least you can get some decent snow amoungst the tree's.

I was at Zell am See a few years ago, its in the same area and it was early
season and although it was quite icey at the bottom there was still a lot of
snow (at 700m). This year there has been snow lying in Munich since the
first snow at the end of November (and its snowing now).

Old February 7th 06, 12:58 PM

Hi,

my experience is: Soll may be without snow in the valley but there will
be definitely snow up on the mountain in January. If there is no snow,
you won't have satisfying conditions anywhere in Tyrol.

And to comment AH: we have a nice continuous Winter this year (I am
located in Munich as AH), but it is not very unusual. I don't remember
more than one or two seasons in the last twenty years in which it was
impossible to ski down to the valley in january.

Florian

Old February 7th 06, 02:10 PM

If you are going the first or third week of January, I wouldn't worry too
much unless you want something quite specific.. it is one of the low season
periods so there will be plenty of choice and maybe even some very cheap
late deals closer to the time..

Old February 7th 06, 02:35 PM

Mike Dodds wrote:

We got back from Soll just over a week ago. It was our first ski holiday for
about 10 years and a return to Soll after 25 years. The snow is fantastic
this year, as good or even better than in 1980 and 1981.

We'd like to book to go back next year, but I realise how lucky we've been
this year. What has Soll and the Skiwelt been like in recent years when they
have had to rely on artificial snow? We'd plan on going either the first or
third week in January.

Cheers

Mike

There might be snow up top, but with a max vertical of 800 m, and loss
of snow in the valley cuts of runs below the gondola. And that means a
vertical of a few hundred meters.

This is true of most of Aaustria. If you dont mind yo-yo runs than OK,
but if you like more than a k vertical, then you are better off in a
cheap French resort like Risoul, which has good snow, height, and size.

Old February 7th 06, 03:10 PM

"fat_boy" wrote in message
oups.com...

This is true of most of Aaustria. If you dont mind yo-yo runs than OK,
but if you like more than a k vertical, then you are better off in a
cheap French resort like Risoul, which has good snow, height, and size.

When you get to my age you realise that length is not the only imporant
thing.
Austria as a skiing destination offers much more than France. If only they
had
German beer on tap Austria would be heaven on earth. Fortunately there are
bottles.

The French Alps would be wonderful if the current custodians could only
learn
about hospitality and manners from the Austrians. Then you'd only need to
avoid
French holidays and weekends.

Besides I speak much better German than French.

;-)

Mike

Old February 7th 06, 03:47 PM

"fat_boy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Dodds wrote:

[...]

Funny you bring up Risoul - my friends were there January last year and the
snow was terrible! I can't imagine it would be much better this year
considering the way things are at the big French resorts.

Florian sounds like he has experience in the matter (which I admit I don't)
and he says that no snow in the valley has only happened a couple of times
in around 20 years, so that is pretty snow sure to me..

Old February 7th 06, 04:12 PM

Mike Dodds wrote:
"fat_boy" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

True, I much prefer Austria for ambiance, and I would go there, but
only on a last minute deal. To plan a year ahead, it just hasnt got
the snow reliability.

Regarding hospitability, I find the French OK. I do speak French so
that probably helps. Unlike most of the Germanic world that speaks
English too.

Soll Simon European Ski Resorts 0 January 2nd 06 07:09 PM
artificial classic tracks for summer training. [email protected] Nordic Skiing 30 July 18th 05 08:23 PM
Soll yup European Ski Resorts 4 February 7th 05 08:14 AM
artificial snow surface for the backyard Sharkie Snowboarding 3 April 23rd 04 06:38 PM
Soll, Austria john robertson European Ski Resorts 3 December 13th 03 02:03 PM