artificial classic tracks for summer training.

Old June 30th 05, 05:33 AM

Default artificial classic tracks for summer training.

http://www.skisport.ru/news/index.php?news=1978

Even though it's assumed that this groups speaks all Nordic languages,
here's what the text says, in brief:

"300 meters of artificial classic tracks have been put in Ostrov, near
Pskov, to allow Russian skiers and biathelets train on real skis during
the summer. The metal-silicon base for the tracks has been designed by
Russian scientists."

The picture is clickable.

The stuff is probably very expensive: 300 meters is lame.

Old June 30th 05, 11:57 AM
Jim Howe

I didn't know Russian was a Nordic language......

Old June 30th 05, 12:30 PM
Terje Henriksen

Jim Howe wrote:
I didn't know Russian was a Nordic language......

Her where I live we have about 5% russians among the population and most of
them speak excellent norwegian, sometimes better than the old population.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old June 30th 05, 02:18 PM
David Dermott

On 30 Jun 2005, Jim Howe wrote:

I didn't know Russian was a Nordic language......

On the one hand, there are people that claim that the original "Rus"
(founders of the Russian principalities, ca 10th century) were
Scandinavians (ie Vikings from Sweden) :-)

On the other hand, "Norden" now has an official geo-political
definition, as defined by the Nordic Council of Ministers:
http://www.norden.org

Russia is not on the list. :-)

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old June 30th 05, 02:41 PM
Jim Howe

Ok, more off topic - Russian is a Slavic language. Nordic does not
refer to a language, rather a group of nothern european countries -
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland (as well as a discipline
of skiing). Norwegian, Swedish, Danish (Icelandic) like English are
Germanic languages. Finnish is something completely different.

I think Rus is thought to be what the Slavic inhabitants of the regions
now known as Russia and the Ukraine called the Swedish Vikings that
conquered them a 1000 years ago. Also, some argue that Rus comes from
Ros which is a region in Sweden.

Jim

Old June 30th 05, 06:16 PM
Tim Kelley

In the 70's one summer I skied on a demo track an inventor (forgot his
name) set up on the Hanover, NH golf course. The track was made from
two foot wide white packing foam. A long roll (200' ?) of it was
stretched out and staked on the ground. And then heavily sprayed with
silicone. Skiers would use waxless skis (Trak's) and stride and glide
on this summer skiing miracle. Looks like it took the Russians 30
years to catch up with the New Englanders in this case.

Old July 1st 05, 05:07 AM
Steve

I won't get political or talk about linguistics, but I swear my 4
motion passat made those tracks in the mud last spring.

Old July 1st 05, 10:44 AM
Terje Henriksen

Jim Howe wrote:
Ok, more off topic - Russian is a Slavic language. Nordic does not
refer to a language, rather a group of nothern european countries -
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland (as well as a discipline
of skiing). Norwegian, Swedish, Danish (Icelandic) like English are
Germanic languages. Finnish is something completely different.

Icelandic comes from the old norwegian language, "Gammelnorsk". They didn't
change their language when the norwegian ppoulation changed to a more
danish-like during the union with Denmark.

I think Rus is thought to be what the Slavic inhabitants of the
regions now known as Russia and the Ukraine called the Swedish
Vikings that conquered them a 1000 years ago. Also, some argue that
Rus comes from Ros which is a region in Sweden.

Were not the swedish vikings asked to rule a part of Russia? I do not think
they conquerred the russians?

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old July 1st 05, 01:45 PM

Terje Henriksen wrote:

Jim Howe wrote:

[...]

ja. vikingarna från roslagen (norrtälje)

titta på http://www.angelfire.com/empire/egfroth/rus.html

THE VIKINGS IN RUSSIA

Steven Lowe

The Vikings came to Russia through the trade routes from Sweden down
the Russian rivers, particularly the Don and the Dnieper, which led
south to the markets of Bulgar, Khazaria, Byzantium and the Caliphate.
Some reached as far East as the Caspian Sea and as far south as
Baghdad. They traded amber, furs, honey, slaves, wax and weapons, for
the luxuries of civilization, silk and silver (large hoards of Arab
dirhems have been found throughout Scandinavia.) They founded the
great cities of Starja Ladoga, Kiev and Novgorod.

They were known as Rus, a name whose origins are the subject of some
controversy. ... According to the Russian Primary Chronicle, compiled
in Kiev in the early 12th century, the Slavs invited the Swedish
chieftain Rurik and his two brothers to rule them in 862 AD. ...