Crossover and Crossunder

Old May 2nd 05, 01:16 PM
yunlong

Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
"yunlong" wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Norm wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Here's another challenge to you powder 8 hounds, can you
two members team come down the field on a single track?

Oh, is that what you meant? I do the first all the time,
its not difficult, as long as the first track wasn't put
there by someone a lot better than myself. Why would I
want to do the second? Maybe if I was trying to preserve
the line? I might do that if I was guiding, but other
than that, I can't imagine why.

Take a look at this...
http://www.gravityfed.com/articles/2...e-profile.html

A little insight into how to get a clean run many times in
the same fresh powder.

Yes, great skiing is not just happened, it takes years
practice and discipline. To ski parallel to an existing
track, or to track one's own track trains the skier not just
technical know-how, but the inner discipline/courage to flow
with the unknown [tracks] and to reach a heightened state of
calm mind and sharp perception.

"Ultimately, tracking enables the skier to ski a selected
line instead of a random path on the slope. While to ski a
random path has the advantage to turn at anytime the skier
wants, tracking trades such freedom for a discipline that is
staying on the line. More concentration is needed to stay on
a line than to ski a random path;such concentration
intensifies the skier's inner awareness, which is vital for
an all-out performance.

As the performance approaches to all-out, the concentration
intensifies as well. As the total concentration [to bring
the external world in]and the maximum awareness [to feel the
world outside] merge into one harmonized reality, the skier
is no longer skiing but being skied as the skier is only a
media which reflects the spirit and beauty of gravity; the
skiing has lost its form and becomes formless."

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_prin_tech.html

IS

Wow.

From that description, one would assume that skiing in someone
else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't.

No, didn't say it is difficult; the question is can YOU do it?

At least not for most people.

No, I don't think so.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old May 2nd 05, 01:18 PM
yunlong

Norm wrote:
"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article .com,
"yunlong" wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Norm wrote:
yunlong wrote:
[...]

From that description, one would assume that skiing in
someone else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't. At least not for most people.

Yabbut, give Itchie some credit.
Most people don't attempt it while flapping their arms.

Such a comment only reflects your own lacked of credibility.

IS

Old May 2nd 05, 01:20 PM
yunlong

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Norm wrote:
yunlong wrote:

[...]

What, like this?:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC_5730.html

Or this:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC01823.html

That some fun skiing. It's kind of funny how you take pretty
basic stuff and make it sound like the Second Coming.

Are you, too, claiming the credit on other people's works/knowledge? Or
just you masturbate for "Second Coming" in public?

IS

Bob

Old May 2nd 05, 02:29 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Also from the above web page which I recently reread
because you posted the URL again...

"Based on telemark-turn, telemark-skiing is an exhilarating way to ski.
With the lightweight cross-country skis and loose-heel bindings,
telemark-skiing gives the skier a tremendous sensation of speed and
angular acceleration. Nevertheless, while stable longitudinally, the
telemark stance offers little lateral stability. Telemark-turn is less
stable when speed is slow. With little ability to skid and to make short
radius turn, telemark-skiing is weak on icy and narrow slopes. Because
the loose-heel bindings, the feet-together parallel stance will not help
neither. To improve the lateral stability, the skier needs a device to
lock the heels. So, locked-heel bindings are utilized."

Telemark stance has little lateral stability.? Then why do nordic
jumpers prefer that stance on landing? It seems to me that when using
crappy equipment (sorry klaus) telemark is the most stable stance
in any direction.

Telemark-turn is less stable when speed is slow.? Tell that to my
sled dragging, telemark skiing, ski patrol buddies.

Most of my friends who have switched to tele-skiing have
found that they are skiing much slower and enjoying it more
than they were on fixed-heel equipment.

With little ability to skid...? A telemark turn has a certain
quality of skidding. Again, my tele-skiing buddies can certainly
make short turns. One woman I ski with on occasion is a world-
class bump skier turned tele-skier. She gets in bumps, locks
her feet together and skis just like she had fixed heel bindings,
but she doesn't. Yes, you're right, it's not tele-turns, but
certainly with tele equipement.

Pray tell me, how does a "locked-heel binding" improve lateral
stability. Whenever I've tried the equipment, and my cross-country
equipment, I have as good lateral stability as the stiffness of
the boots. What I lack is fore-aft stability. Fore-aft stability
is the price of easy walking/running on skis for cross-country.
Most competitive cross country skiing these days is so called
"skate-skiing" and the boots are much more laterally stable/stiff.

Alan Baker's comments on the first two quotes from your webpage.
Wow.

From that description, one would assume that skiing in someone
else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't.

No, didn't say it is difficult; the question is can YOU do it?

If it isn't difficult, can you do it?

At least not for most people.

No, I don't think so.

Lemee tell ya, if you find various people's replies a bit sharp
from time to time, it's time to remind you that "you reap what
you sow". Certainly your answers/replies to other's posts can
be a bit sharp, confrontational, insulting and not really
thought about enough on your part.

You tend to refrain from gutter language and that keeps you
from being generally kill-filed, but sometimes there is enough
baloney in what you dash off in an email and what you have written
in the past, that you can make yourself look like a fool.

Perhaps I can do that too, from time to time, but that paragraph
on Tele-skiing and some other of the descriptions you have posted
about it show either a huge lack of knowledge about the technique
or information so old that you've lost out on what modern
equipement can do for tele-skiing and it's time for revisions.

Give you an example of rude responses... When we were talking
about flat spins, 360 degree turns with skis more or less flat
on the snow. You challenged me with a rude question like the
one to Alan above.

I ignored the question and the rudeness. LAL wrote back that
he knew I could do the maneuver because he had seen me do it.
Following that, it wasn't enough to simply be able to do it,
you insisted that we "explain" how to do it and tell you
exactly when the edge change occurred. Quite a useless discourse
in my opinion.

As we (there is a frog there) have told you before, many of
us are highly skilled, experience skiers. Most of the things
you are peddling, we can do.

Now, as for skiing in someone elses tracks, or even more to
the point, making run after run of parallel tracks like
Farmer Dave, I'll be the first to admit, because I haven't
tried it much, that I might be able to ski in someone's tracks
but laying down multiple parallel curving "furrows" is so far
beyond what I can imagine doing, It might be a while for me
to master it. It might even be a while for me to maybe do
it a little. It's seldom that we get snow around here that
would ALLOW me to see if I am making parallel lines that it
could be several years of trying for me to have even a
rudimentary skill in that particular effect.

Now, we've established that I can't do it (multiple parallel
tracks) the question is, can you do it (multiple parallel tracks)?

VtSkier
Old May 2nd 05, 03:54 PM
Alan Baker

In article .com,
"yunlong" wrote:

Wow.

From that description, one would assume that skiing in someone
else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't.

No, didn't say it is difficult; the question is can YOU do it?

Of course.

At least not for most people.

No, I don't think so.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:14 PM
lal_truckee

yunlong wrote disparaging of:
claiming the credit on other people's works/knowledge?

Heh heh.
That's a good one.
Old May 2nd 05, 06:06 PM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Alan Baker wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Not really, telemark stance landing remains the highest praised style
in nordic jumping.

It seems to me that when using crappy equipment (sorry klaus)
telemark is the most stable stance in any direction.

What do you think this "most stable stance in any direction," klaus?

Telemark-turn is less stable when speed is slow.?

Yes, like you riding a bicycle.

Tell that to my sled dragging, telemark skiing, ski patrol buddies.

Yes, you can tell them that.

Most of my friends who have switched to tele-skiing have
found that they are skiing much slower and enjoying it more
than they were on fixed-heel equipment.

Yes, tele-skiing does tend to be softer and more enjoyable than
fixed-heel skiing on "not icy" snow.

With little ability to skid...? A telemark turn has a certain
quality of skidding. Again, my tele-skiing buddies can
certainly make short turns.

Short radius turn doesn't mean "skidding turn."

One woman I ski with on occasion
is a world-class bump skier turned tele-skier. She gets in
bumps, locks her feet together and skis just like she had
fixed heel bindings, but she doesn't. Yes, you're right, it's
not tele-turns, but certainly with tele equipement.

"(Although less efficient, however, parallel-turn on loose-heel binding
is the same as that of locked-heel binding.)" Without the heel
bindings, you would just have to hold down the heels yourself for
parallel turn.

Pray tell me, how does a "locked-heel binding" improve lateral
stability.

You can move to ski laterally to make a wider stance and hold there.

Whenever I've tried the equipment, and my cross-
country equipment, I have as good lateral stability as the
stiffness of the boots.

Not in comparison with locked-heel binding.

What I lack is fore-aft stability.
Fore-aft stability is the price of easy walking/running on
skis for cross-country.

You may get a better idea if you relate the XC skiing as you riding a
bicycle.

Most competitive cross country skiing
these days is so called and the boots are much
more laterally stable/stiff.

"Skate-skiing" is mostly for level ground.

Alan Baker's comments on the first two quotes from your webpage.

Wow.

From that description, one would assume that skiing in
someone else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't.

No, didn't say it is difficult; the question is can YOU do it?

If it isn't difficult, can you do it?

It is not "if," but it is [difficult], yes, I call it "tracking."

At least not for most people.

No, I don't think so.

Lemee tell ya, if you find various people's replies a bit
sharp from time to time, it's time to remind you that "you
reap what you sow".

To be perfectly honest with you, you guys such lacked of credibility, I
don't really give much a thought on what you guys were saying;

Certainly your answers/replies to other's
posts can be a bit sharp, confrontational, insulting and not
really thought about enough on your part.

only to poke holes in you guys' little knowledge to make fun of it.

You tend to refrain from gutter language

"Gutter language" only reflects a guttered mind.

and that keeps you from being generally kill-filed,

Not sure I care about those pathetic kill-files, bury your head in the
sand is your own business, but I don't think that you have the
discipline not to read/respond my posts.

but sometimes there is enough
baloney in what you dash off in an email and what you have
written in the past, that you can make yourself look like a
fool.

Fools always think others are fools, when the subject goes beyond their
comprehension.

Perhaps I can do that too, from time to time, but that
paragraph on Tele-skiing and some other of the descriptions
you have posted about it show either a huge lack of knowledge
about the technique or information so old that you've lost out
on what modern equipement can do for tele-skiing and it's time
for revisions.

The techniques maybe change due to the different equipments, but the
principle remains the same. When you have learned the principle you may
adapt/develop different equipments and techniques, not the other way
around.

Give you an example of rude responses... When we were talking
about flat spins, 360 degree turns with skis more or less flat
on the snow. You challenged me with a rude question like the
one to Alan above.

You may think that others post questions to challenge/examine your
credibility and integrity rude, but I don't think so. And you don't
think yourself dodge the questions and come back argue about it rude?

I ignored the question and the rudeness. LAL wrote back that
he knew I could do the maneuver because he had seen me do it.

You may be able to do it; nevertheless, how well you can do it is
another question.

Following that, it wasn't enough to simply be able to do it,
you insisted that we "explain" how to do it and tell you
exactly when the edge change occurred.

But you insisted that I showed you the video and explanation, while
yourself cannot do it? We call that "double standard hypocrite."

Quite a useless discourse in my opinion.

Yup, not for a conceited egotism.

As we (there is a frog there) have told you before, many of
us are highly skilled, experience skiers. Most of the things
you are peddling, we can do.

As I told you before, lots of people like to gold-plate their faces;
I'd like to see the face behind the mask.

Now, as for skiing in someone elses tracks, or even more to
the point, making run after run of parallel tracks like
Farmer Dave, I'll be the first to admit, because I haven't
tried it much, that I might be able to ski in someone's tracks
but laying down multiple parallel curving "furrows" is so far
beyond what I can imagine doing, It might be a while for me
to master it. It might even be a while for me to maybe do
it a little. It's seldom that we get snow around here that
would ALLOW me to see if I am making parallel lines that it
could be several years of trying for me to have even a
rudimentary skill in that particular effect.

Yup, I don't have an environment like Farmer Dave neither, so I trace
my own track. I used to indulge myself to leave two tracks on the snow
that look like someone "rail" it, and actually, each track has two ski
marks.

Now, we've established that I can't do it (multiple parallel
tracks) the question is, can you do it (multiple parallel tracks)?

I trace my own track,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/contour_skiing.wmv

IS

VtSkier

Old May 2nd 05, 06:15 PM
yunlong

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Norm wrote:
yunlong wrote:
[...]

I skied those lines if that's what you're asking, Itchie-poo.

Fancy, didn't know you have the discipline.

Do you have any pictures of your spooned/stacked lines,
wankster?

Not really, only video clip on tracing my own line,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/contour_skiing.wmv

I will give you credit for nice attribution, though. Kudos.

IS

Bob

Old May 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
Walt

yunlong wrote:

To be perfectly honest with you, you guys such lacked of credibility, I
don't really give much a thought on what you guys were saying;

Well, that's bleeding obvious.

Fools always think others are fools, when the subject goes beyond their
comprehension.

Agreed. Do you own a mirror?

I trace my own track
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/contour_skiing.wmv

That's awsome!!! Keep them funny movies coming. But wave your arms
more next time, that's a real crowd-pleaser.

--
// Walt
//
Old May 2nd 05, 07:09 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Yes, it is highly praised. It is also highly stable for a
free heel binding. Jumping boots might as well be sneaker
(unless they have changed in 25 years) compared to ski or
tele boots. More like reasonably rugged cross country boots.

Now, are talking about the same thing when each of us
talks about lateral stability?

Lateral stability is that given by the SIDES of a ski boot
(using skiing analogies because this is a skiing ng). Most
modern tele-boots have at least as much lateral stability
as a low end alpine boot. If you push your knees in a
direction, the soles of your boots will face in the opposite
direction. Okay so far?

A racing alpine boot has little flex fore and aft. It has
great stability fore and aft. Couple that with a downhill
binding with a fixed heel and you have good stability in
both the lateral and fore/aft directions and presumably
everything in between.

A tele-boot is usually more flexible fore/aft than an alpine
boot (but not always). A tele-binding allows the heel to lift
free of the ski.

Now, if I ski down a hill, lets say a gentle hill at this
point and I ski across something that slows my skis down
radically, chances are, if my boots and bindings are alpine
type, I will simply slow down. The inertia of my upper body
will be countered to a great degree by the stiffness of
my boots and the fact that my heels are anchored. Remember
this is slow, so there won't be any release or injury.

If I'm using tele skis and bindings for the above condition.
I am not in telemark stance, I'm skiing gently down with feet
together. The "something" which slows my skis down will still
be there, but because there is nothing countering the inertia
of my forward movement, I will probably topple forward and
catch myself on my hands and arms.

The above described situation is something that I've done
on cross country equipment, mine is very similar to very
light telemark equipment. My boots have hinged plastic
ankle supports and my skis are 180cm and have steel edges.

The alpine ski situation above is what I mean when I say
that alpine equipment give greater fore/aft stability than
telemark equipment. With modern boots, lateral stability
is pretty much the same for tele equipment as it is for
alpine equipment.

Now the telemark "stance" with one leg forward with heel
down and knee fairly well bent and the other leg back with
the heel up and knee again bent, would counter the inertia
of my skis slowing down rapidly (running straight) and
would probably prevent me from toppling forward as described
above because the TELEMARK STANCE IMPARTS FORE/AFT STABILITY
to skiing down the hill with free heel bindings. This is the
same stability being sought by the nordic jumper who uses
the tele-stance on landing.

The reason for this big long explanation/set of questions
is because I frequently feel that we aren't speaking the
same language.

[...]

Agreed. These are short radius, skidded turns on tele equipment.

Pray tell me, how does a "locked-heel binding" improve lateral
stability.

You can move to ski laterally to make a wider stance and hold there.

Again, watch the patrollers. Nice big wide STABLE snowplow,
falling leaf, back again, all in nice slow motion on
tele-skis.

Whenever I've tried the equipment, and my cross-
country equipment, I have as good lateral stability as the
stiffness of the boots.

Not in comparison with locked-heel binding.

Yes, in comparison with a locked heel binding.

What I lack is fore-aft stability.
Fore-aft stability is the price of easy walking/running on
skis for cross-country.

You may get a better idea if you relate the XC skiing as you riding a
bicycle.

I think bicycle is the wrong analogy here. A bicycle with wheels
front and back is very stable fore and aft. If it weren't for
the forward motion of the bicycle, you couldn't hold it up
laterally. The gyroscopic effect give the bicycle lateral
stability. The wheels give it fore/aft stability.

The analogy may be made between a bicycle and a unicycle. The
unicycle is probably as stable laterally as a bicycle because
of gyroscopic effect. The difference is that the fore/aft
stability is not there, just like tele-skis. You must compensate
for that fore/aft instability with balance and technique, just
as you must do the same for the same reason on tele skis.

You may have been misled by a tele-skier referring to "training
heels" on alpine skis and making the analogy back to a bicycle
with training wheels. It's not even close to the same thing.
Training wheels on a bike counter the lateral instability normally
achieved by gyroscopic effect when skill is achieved. A fixed
heel binding counters fore/aft instability when contrasted to
a telemark binding.

Most competitive cross country skiing
these days is so called and the boots are much
more laterally stable/stiff.

"Skate-skiing" is mostly for level ground.

Watch a competition some time. Skate skiing is
an alternate to kick and glide skiing and works in
all the same places. AND the boots are stiffer
laterally for skate-skiing.

Alan Baker's comments on the first two quotes from your webpage.

Wow.

From that description, one would assume that skiing in

someone else's tracks is difficult.

But it isn't.

No, didn't say it is difficult; the question is can YOU do it?

If it isn't difficult, can you do it?

It is not "if," but it is [difficult], yes, I call it "tracking."

At least not for most people.

No, I don't think so.

Lemee tell ya, if you find various people's replies a bit
sharp from time to time, it's time to remind you that "you
reap what you sow".

To be perfectly honest with you, you guys such lacked of credibility, I
don't really give much a thought on what you guys were saying;

So I lack credibility with you. I somehow find that to be a complement.

Certainly your answers/replies to other's
posts can be a bit sharp, confrontational, insulting and not
really thought about enough on your part.

only to poke holes in you guys' little knowledge to make fun of it.

You tend to refrain from gutter language

"Gutter language" only reflects a guttered mind.

Agreed and I'll try to keep myself in check too.

and that keeps you from being generally kill-filed,

Not sure I care about those pathetic kill-files, bury your head in the
sand is your own business, but I don't think that you have the
discipline not to read/respond my posts.

Nor do I think you have the discipline/will power not to respond
to my posts.

[...]

At least as well as you did it in the video you showed us.

Following that, it wasn't enough to simply be able to do it,
you insisted that we "explain" how to do it and tell you
exactly when the edge change occurred.

But you insisted that I showed you the video and explanation, while
yourself cannot do it? We call that "double standard hypocrite."

You certainly did show a video but I don't recall an
explanation. The video was good enough to show that you
could do it without catching an edge, but you didn't
specify exactly when the edge change took place but
you insisted that we explain the same.

[...]

Whether or not you can do the move is not shown in this video. The
quality is too poor to show ANY track in the snow, much less you
tracing a track or "railing" as you mention above. I even tried
reducing the size so that I'd have better resolution. Didn't work.