Closest airport to Val D'Isere from Leeds?

Old January 26th 05, 09:24 PM
Glenn

BA: Manchester to Lyon?

Cheers,

Glenn

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get to from
Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool/Midlands/Newscastle to Chambery (or closer than
Geneva) airport in order to drive to Val D'Isere?

cheers,

Greg

Old January 26th 05, 09:44 PM
Le Dieu

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Is there anyway to get to from
Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool/Midlands/Newscastle to Chambery (or closer than
Geneva) airport in order to drive to Val D'Isere?

cheers,

Greg

Yes. Charters fly from Manchester to Chambery. I've only ever done it with
Crystal but there must be flight only options.

A. D.

Old January 26th 05, 09:59 PM
Paul Kelly

In message , Greg Hilton
writes
Is there anyway to get to from
Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool/Midlands/Newscastle to Chambery (or closer than
Geneva) airport in order to drive to Val D'Isere?

Pretty certain I saw a fly.be advert recently which featured Chambery
http://www.flybedestinations.com/cha...ery_intro.html
If you put Chambery into their flight booking page and then it shows the
places you can go from - Southampton, Birmingham, Glasgow and other but
not Leeds.

London City is sometimes worth a look to see where you can go ( e.g.
Innsbruck and Basle) and one of the tour operators used to do Chambery
early Saturday morning from Belfast.

--
Paul
Old January 27th 05, 09:04 AM
Steve Haigh

Greg Hilton wrote:

Is there anyway to get to from
Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool/Midlands/Newscastle to Chambery (or closer than
Geneva) airport in order to drive to Val D'Isere?

The only non-charter flights to Chambery are from Southampton, which is
a fair way from Leeds... Your best bet would be to try the big charter
companies suchas Thompson (aka Britania) and see what they offer.
Old January 27th 05, 06:02 PM
Ian

Greg Hilton wrote:
Is there anyway to get to from
Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool/Midlands/Newscastle to Chambery (or closer than
Geneva) airport in order to drive to Val D'Isere?

cheers,

Greg

I flew to Chambery from Manchester last year with Le Ski. They charter a
plane all to themselves so it might be worth giving them a call to see
if they have any spare seats.

Ian
Old January 31st 05, 08:17 PM

I have recently travelled to Courchevel via Chambery on a
package tour from the UK. It seemed a good idea at the time
but I would probably not do it again.

The trip out was delayed since Chambery was fogged in which
the pilot said was common in the morning due to the local
geography. This was exacerbated by the way that the airport
has to be operated. Only one flight can be in the valley at
a time since the pilot has to do a U turn in the event of
an aborted landing. This reduces the number of flights that
can be handled.

On the way back there was a technical problem with the aeroplane
and an engineer had to be brought from the UK. Of course the
engineer could not get to Chambery directly due to a lack of
flights and had to go via Geneva and get a taxi from there.
This added a few hours to our delay.

Finally the airport at Chambery has few facilities in the event
that there is a delay.

I believe that it is only about an hour extra on the bus comparing
Chambery with Geneva and I do not now consider the gamble to be
worthwhile.

OH! I forgot the landing [if only I could]. Well it was not so
bad and I have done a wee bit of flying in light aircraft years
ago but it felt like something out of Top Gun. We seemed to come
down the glide path and whack into the runway without any flare
[This is I believe, exactly what need to be done for an aircraft
carrier landing]. This was followed by heavy initial braking, a
bit of a let off and then more heavy braking just before we
turned off. I looked out of the window to see how much the
pilot was saving by making the early turn off only to discover
that he hadn't. We were at the end of the runway. I do not
really know but maybe such procedures are essential at
small airport. A brief suggestion that we should get our
tongues tucked away safely would have been appreciated.

Let's see:-

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/f...port-1354.html
Runway Length : 5807 ft.
Runway Elevation : 778 ft.

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/f...lyon-4302.html
Runway Length : 13123 ft.
Runway Elevation : 814 ft.

Geneva
Runway Length : 12796 ft.
Runway Elevation : 1411 ft.

Luton
Runway Length : 7087 ft.
Runway Elevation : 525 ft.
Oh well maybe it was just a slightly ham fisted landing.

There is always of course:-
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/f...port-1704.html
Runway Length : 1263 ft.
Runway Elevation : 6588 ft.
**Maybe not with a 737**

Old January 31st 05, 08:54 PM
Sammy

Yes, Courchevel is a high-commitment uphill landing, it is not
advisable to go round.

Sammy