word of warning

Old February 27th 04, 04:14 PM
funkraum

Default word of warning

"Nigel (Remove NOSPAM)" wrote:

Im not familier with the route down to Frnace nowadays however,I live in
Holland & used to frequently cruise the autobahns to Austria & I would
say that 90%+ of the drivers pulled up by the Polizi in Germany are
Dutch.

It is also that the Dutch drivers have some nasty habits compared to
German drivers. The Dutch speciality is the merge where they merge
into a gap which is just large enough to park their car in, if they
were parking, but manage to do this at 150kph/94mph. Frightening to
watch and just as irritating as French/Italian tail-gating. It is not
welcome in the otherwise orderly and uniform high-speed draft of an
autobahn. If it was down to me there would be a ticket with the title
"Conduct prejudicial to good order". One of the penalties imposed
would be the drivers have to sit in one of those simulators and do
what they have just been doing then the sim controller programs a
pile-up in front of the car in front of him. The simulator should be
mounted on compressed-air jacks which give violent impulses to the
cockpit and the big 'bang' which the structure gives off when you
eventually make contact with something at speed. Let's see how they
like that.

The Dutch tend to forget there the many restricted speed zones ,
haha !! May also be of course the German Polizi getting there own back
for The Dutch cops waiting at the border booking the germans blasting
upto the Dutch beaches in the summer !!

[...]

Domestic cops targeting foreign drivers is the norm. Foreign drivers
are normally going fast as they have a long way to go thus making it
easy for the cops, plus side-stepping the scowls of their own
countrymen as they see their tax dollars being used up with this
rather than the more strenuous and unpleasant activity of catching
people who shoot back.

The flics noise of spittoon receiving a direct hit target the
English and the Dutch on the latter half of the A1 especially during
end-of-summer return from the Riviera. Germans on the A4. Swiss on the
A36 where that 360 driver was caught a couple of years back and
jailed.

Old February 27th 04, 04:15 PM
funkraum

Ian Spare wrote:
[...]
There's a couple of sections between Basel and Heidelberg I would say
it's easy to lose track of if you're in a restricted section or not
though but there's a sizeable percentage who are plainly ignoring the
limits.

Not least because it is arrow-straight and you still have hours to go
before Bonn... Hamburg ....Kobenhavn.

Old February 27th 04, 04:24 PM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
news | "PG" wrote:

| With the new automatic cameras in France, if anyone is thinking of
using
| a radar detector.... leave it at home. Anyone caught with one is
banned
| from driving on the spot, the detector confiscated.
|

| Perhaps I should have expanded on this subject:

Or perhaps you shouldn't have bothered. I've rarely read such a load of
smug garbage. It would have been slightly more palatable if it had been
remotely factual. No such luck.

Pete

Old February 27th 04, 04:34 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
, Ian Spare wrote:
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road rather
than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Arithmetic was never my strong point, but by my calculation, that
would be five hours I could be doing something else other than
watching the vanishing point coming toward me - like skiing.

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it to
Calais without passing a camera.

Heh.

Drove back from Soldeu yesterday, 1000km in all, keeping to about
150-160 where possible, which meant we arrived home at a reasonable
hour to have a relaxed evening. Had we stuck to the limits it would
have been at least two hours longer, probably more (bearing in mind
the reduced limits for roadworks and rain).

According to the map we passed at least four of the fixed cameras, but
I'm fairly sure we weren't flashed once. Certainly didn't see any of
the alleged cameras (and I'm normally quite good at spotting them in
the UK and Switzerland).

There just are not that many. Since I have never observed the speed
limits I know where there are working GATSOs because I can see the
flash behind me.

As far as I know, and I hope it's still true, the French still don't
normally try and trace Swiss-plated vehicles :-}

Never had any problems and vice-versa. And that is with speed cameras
and parking tickets.

I was trapped by radar early one morning on the Ringstrasse in Wien
once. And stopped. Then told I was to be awarded a special sticker
...... for driving under the speed limit like a responsible citizen.

I was heading for somewhere I was not familiar with and was searching
for a map and directions on the passenger seat. Hence the low rate of
knots and the queue of irate taxis behind me, etc. I explained, said I
was sorry, apologised, lapsed into fits of weeping, begged, sobbed,
blubbed, etc and eventually they relented and promised not to tell
anyone as long as I never did it again.

Again - this was in car with no radar detector. I would have heard his
radar bursts way back down the street and had time to rev up, change
down and reach a respectable speed before hitting the trap.

Old February 27th 04, 04:34 PM
funkraum

Ian Spare wrote:
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road rather
than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it to
Calais without passing a camera.

There are much fewer cameras than you think and more signs, as an
overall rule.

I have only been flashed a few tens of times in years of disregard for
speed limits throughout Europe. And this was sometimes with deliberate
attempts to record quite incredible speeds on some of the Austrian
tunnel cameras.

Old February 28th 04, 05:02 AM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
| Ian Spare wrote:
| Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
|
| What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather
| than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)
|
| Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
| between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
| guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it
| Calais without passing a camera.
|

| There are much fewer cameras than you think and more signs, as an
| overall rule.
|
| I have only been flashed a few tens of times in years of disregard for
| speed limits throughout Europe. And this was sometimes with deliberate
| attempts to record quite incredible speeds on some of the Austrian
| tunnel cameras.

Moron

Pete

Old February 28th 04, 06:05 AM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
news | "PG" wrote:

| With the new automatic cameras in France, if anyone is thinking of
using
| a radar detector.... leave it at home. Anyone caught with one is
banned
| from driving on the spot, the detector confiscated.
|

| Perhaps I should have expanded on this subject:
|
| Under French law operation of a radar detectors enables the flics to
| fine you the top limit on the spot, FFR5000. This is because
|
| a) They are French

Well spotted. How did you manage to work that one out.

| b) They use the old continuous output radar detectors which you can
| hear from the next county.

Well you should know. Apparently you're an expert on disobeying the
rules.

| If you taking a detector, which I recommend for driving in France,
| keep it out of sight. Better still, fit one of the internally wired
| detectors which cannot be seen.

Better still, take your Ferrari and go back to wherever you hail from,
we don't want you in France.

| The game has changed slightly with tunnel cameras and detectors,
| especially at high speeds, are not sufficient to give warning. You
| need one of the jammers. Again, preferably one of the internally wired
| versions. This will grant immunity from unattended radar traps but I
| recommend the detector for is used in addition since the flic manning
| the tripod-radar is going to get excited if he sees a car hurtle past
| at 320kph and nothing appear on the read-out.

You "recommend"? How sick can you get.

| The ban from driving
| in France can be as much as 3 years. If you're the only driver in the
| car and at the port of arrival, you'll be put straight back on the
boat.

| "you'll be put straight back on the boat"
|
| Except... there are no French customs at the ports in winter. Big
| deal. And a glance at your passport is not going to do much good.
| Maybe they memorise the list ?

I've had my passport checked and scanned by the Douane Volante on the
road, and that was 15 years back. It takes a few seconds to get any
relevant info on the holder from the central databank.

| If elsewhere in France you'll either have to get your motoring
| association to repatriate the car, or get someone from the UK to
collect
| the car on your behalf.
|

| Can be disregarded for most purposes. There are no customs at most
| borders and police presence outside automotive-recreation hotspots
| like the Jura passes is sparse by European standards, not least
| because of the number of flics on sick leave, generally avoiding
| duties, etc.

Can by disregarded by morons for most purposes. Police spot checks have
greatly increased since the new French Government has cracked down.

| The authorities in France are determined to crack down
|

| 'crack down'
|
| Yeah - Crack down on their lack of income from foreign drivers. Not
| 'crack down' on the second-favorite national sport: Driving like
| assholes.

This is why they're cracking down, moron. Accidents decreased by 30% in
the first month of operation. Coincidence, I suppose? And as for
fatalities, yes they've been too high in France. However in terms of the
total number of incidents per car on the road, the UK is well out in
front.

| and the
| ports/airports are being provided with a list of banned drivers.
Anyone
| previously banned re-entering France faces a heavy fine and a
possible
| custodial sentence.
|

| Airports provided with a list ? Gee... better not land my car an
| airport.

Never rented a car in France at an airport? Better get your brain into
gear before you start writing next time.

| As soon as time allows I shall post a guide for foreign drivers
| speeding through France taking into account the recent changes.

Which I await with great anticipation. Please entitle it 'The Moron's
Guide to Illegal Driving in France' so that I don't miss the post and
can report it to the authorities.

Pete

Old February 28th 04, 06:14 AM
PG

"funkraum" wrote in message
news | Ace wrote:
| , Ian Spare wrote:
| Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
|
| What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather
| than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)
|

| Arithmetic was never my strong point, but by my calculation, that
| would be five hours I could be doing something else other than
| watching the vanishing point coming toward me - like skiing.

You mean you actually have a strong point? You should go back to school
and work out the increased odds of your killing someone on the way and
never actually getting to go skiing in the first place. Of course if you
drive into a wall on your own on the way down and avoid every other road
user, I for one wouldn't shed a tear and would consider the world a
safer place.

| Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
| between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
| guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make
it to
| Calais without passing a camera.
|
| Heh.
|
| Drove back from Soldeu yesterday, 1000km in all, keeping to about
| 150-160 where possible, which meant we arrived home at a reasonable
| hour to have a relaxed evening. Had we stuck to the limits it would
| have been at least two hours longer, probably more (bearing in mind
| the reduced limits for roadworks and rain).
|
| According to the map we passed at least four of the fixed cameras,
but
| I'm fairly sure we weren't flashed once. Certainly didn't see any of
| the alleged cameras (and I'm normally quite good at spotting them in
| the UK and Switzerland).
|

| There just are not that many. Since I have never observed the speed
| limits I know where there are working GATSOs because I can see the
| flash behind me.

You and your ilk are as good as murderers.

| As far as I know, and I hope it's still true, the French still don't
| normally try and trace Swiss-plated vehicles :-}
|

| Never had any problems and vice-versa. And that is with speed cameras
| and parking tickets.

Care to mail me with your number plate? I'll pass it on.

| I was trapped by radar early one morning on the Ringstrasse in Wien
| once. And stopped. Then told I was to be awarded a special sticker
| ..... for driving under the speed limit like a responsible citizen.
|
| I was heading for somewhere I was not familiar with and was searching
| for a map and directions on the passenger seat. Hence the low rate of
| knots and the queue of irate taxis behind me, etc. I explained, said I
| was sorry, apologised, lapsed into fits of weeping, begged, sobbed,
| blubbed, etc and eventually they relented and promised not to tell
| anyone as long as I never did it again.
|
| Again - this was in car with no radar detector. I would have heard his
| radar bursts way back down the street and had time to rev up, change
| down and reach a respectable speed before hitting the trap.

Oh that's so funny. Wherever you're from - and I doubt it's the UK - do
us all a favour and go back there.

Pete

Old March 1st 04, 08:57 AM
Alex Heney

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:05:14 +0100, "PG" wrote:

snip

This is why they're cracking down, moron. Accidents decreased by 30% in
the first month of operation. Coincidence, I suppose? And as for
fatalities, yes they've been too high in France. However in terms of the
total number of incidents per car on the road, the UK is well out in
front.

Indeed. The UK *is* well out in front, but not, I suspect, in the ay
you meant..

In terms of deaths & serious injuries per million vehicle kilometres (
a much more useful measure than per car), the UK has had the fewest of
ALL countries where records are kept in each and every one of the last
20+ years.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
What goes around usually gets dizzy and falls over.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old March 1st 04, 09:04 AM
AC

"PG" wrote in -
berlin.de:
SNIP

Oh that's so funny. Wherever you're from - and I doubt it's the UK - do
us all a favour and go back there.

Pete

'fraid to say that a spot of googling suggests that he is sadly from the
UK. Appeared in about '96 as , sprouting forth in his
inimitable style on pigeon shooting, bombing people, military history and
the like. A little more digging suggests he's a programmer, speaks Japanese
and even gives a contact address....

AC.