Mollie Tibbetts murder sparks lawmakers' demands for 'justice,' comparison to Kate Steinle case

Old April 13th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine, mn.general, uk.rec.gambling.misc,alt.fan.john-denver, alt.crossover

Default Mollie Tibbetts murder sparks lawmakers' demands for 'justice,' comparison to Kate Steinle case

The arrest of a 24-year-old illegal immigrant in the murder of
University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts sparked both mournful
— and fiery — responses from politicians on Tuesday, as they
pleaded with Congress to do more to protect U.S. citizens.

Investigators identified Tibbetts' suspected killer as Cristhian
Bahena Rivera, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who is believed
to have been living in the area around Brooklyn, Iowa, for four
to seven years.

Speaking at a rally in West Virginia, the president says the
death of the Iowa student by an illegal immigrant suspect should
never have happened.
President Trump, while in West Virginia speaking at a rally,
said Tibbetts' murder "should have never happened."

"You heard about today with the illegal alien coming in, very
sadly, from Mexico and you saw what happened to that incredible,
beautiful young woman?" Trump asked. "Should have never
happened. Illegally in our country."

Vice President Mike Pence said he was "heartbroken" by the news
of Tibbetts' brutal slaying and offered prayers for the young
woman's family and close friends "in this time of unimaginable
grief." Pence called for "justice" after police announced
Rivera's arrest.

Vice President Mike Pence
?
@VP
· Aug 21, 2018
Heartbroken by the news about Mollie Tibbetts. Mollie was an
amazing young woman and we are praying for her parents, brothers
& friends in this time of unimaginable grief….
http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/21/il...igrant-mollie-
tibbetts/?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign
=engagement …

Illegal Immigrant Charged With Murder Of Iowa College Student
Mollie Tibbetts
She vanished on July 18

dailycaller.com

Vice President Mike Pence
?
@VP
We commend the swift action by local, state, & federal
investigators working in Iowa in apprehending an illegal
immigrant, who’s now charged with first-degree murder. Now,
justice will be served. We will never forget Mollie Tibbetts.

3:12 PM - Aug 21, 2018
10.8K
4,501 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"We commend the swift action by local, state, & federal
investigators working in Iowa in apprehending an illegal
immigrant, who’s now charged with first-degree murder. Now,
justice will be served. We will never forget Mollie Tibbetts,"
Pence continued in a tweet.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said she expressed condolences to
Tibbetts' family earlier Tuesday, declaring "justice had just
begun" after the arrest of Rivera.

Gov. Kim Reynolds
?
@IAGovernor
· Aug 21, 2018
Replying to @IAGovernor
Over the past month, thousands of Iowans searched and prayed for
Mollie’s safe return. Now, we are called to come together once
again to lift up a grieving family. The search for Mollie is
over, but the demand for justice has just begun.

Gov. Kim Reynolds
?
@IAGovernor
As Iowans, we are heartbroken, and we are angry. We are angry
that a broken immigration system allowed a predator like this to
live in our community, and we will do all we can bring justice
to Mollie’s killer.

2:21 PM - Aug 21, 2018
1,706
1,116 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"As Iowans, we are heartbroken, and we are angry. We are angry
that a broken immigration system allowed a predator like this to
live in our community, and we will do all we can bring justice
to Mollie’s killer," Reynolds, a Republican, added in a tweet.

"My heart hurts for Mollie’s family. Prayers. ??," U.S.
Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley tweeted after
Tibbetts' dad, Rob, confirmed the student's body had been found.

Nikki Haley
?
@nikkihaley
My heart hurts for Mollie’s family. Prayers. ??

Washington Post
?
@washingtonpost
Mollie Tibbetts has been found dead a month after she vanished,
authorities say https://wapo.st/2N5VoWw

7:35 AM - Aug 21, 2018
7,927
1,615 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
MOLLIE TIBBETTS, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA STUDENT FOUND DEAD: A
TIMELINE OF EVENTS

Fred Hubbell, a Democratic nominee for Iowa governor, tweeted
that the news was "truly heartbreaking," adding that "words
today will be of little comfort" to Tibbetts' loved ones.

Fred Hubbell
?
@FredHubbell

Governor candidate, IA
This is truly heartbreaking. For Mollie’s parents, her family
and friends, any words today will be of little comfort. As a
parent and grandparent, your worst nightmare is losing your
child.

3:14 PM - Aug 21, 2018
173
39 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"This is truly heartbreaking. For Mollie’s parents, her family
and friends, any words today will be of little comfort," he
tweeted. "As a parent and grandparent, your worst nightmare is
losing your child."

He went on to praise authorities for their "around the clock"
dedication to the investigation.

Fred Hubbell
?
@FredHubbell

Governor candidate, IA
· Aug 21, 2018
Replying to @FredHubbell
I know this must be an unimaginable loss. Please know our family
and Iowans everywhere share your grief and are united in pursuit
of justice.

Fred Hubbell
?
@FredHubbell

Governor candidate, IA
I want to commend our law enforcement officials who worked
around the clock to investigate this crime. In this state, if
you break the law, you will face the consequences.

3:14 PM - Aug 21, 2018
90
23 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
John Cox, a GOP candidate in California's race for governor,
released a statement comparing Tibbetts' murder to the
"heartbreaking death" of Kate Steinle, who was shot and killed
on a San Francisco pier in 2015. Investigators said the suspect,
Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, was in the U.S. illegally. A jury
acquitted him of murder, manslaughter and assault last year but
convicted him of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Illegal immigrant acquitted in the Kate Steinle death has
accused the government of 'vindictive' prosecution. Jose Garcia
Zarate's attorney Maria Belyi joins 'The Story' for an exclusive
interview.
"As a father of four daughters, it crushes my heart to see yet
another family go through this nightmare," Cox said. "Those who
want to abolish ICE need to consider the consequences of their
rash proposal."

He continued, "The Mollie Tibbetts case is one more tragic
example of a senseless loss that never should have happened,
similar to Kate Steinle’s heartbreaking death in San Francisco."

Texas Governor Greg Abbott pivoted to turn Tibbetts' death into
a poltical discussion, partially placing blame on sanctuary
cities, though Iowa — where the 20-year-old's body was found in
a field covered with corn stalks — doesn't have any designated
sanctuary cities.

Greg Abbott
?
@GregAbbott_TX
An undocumented immigrant is charged for murder of Mollie
Tibbetts, the Iowa college student who went missing on July 18.
This is why so many Americans are angry about sanctuary cities.
It’s why Texas banned sanctuary cities. It’s about safety. #tcot
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/us/mo...-missing-iowa-
student/index.html …

3:15 PM - Aug 21, 2018

Police to release details on missing Iowa student Mollie
Tibbetts tonight
Authorities in Iowa will hold a news conference Monday evening
to provide "quite a bit of news" on the case of Mollie Tibbetts,
the 20-year-old University of Iowa student who went missing a
month ago.

cnn.com
15.4K
9,218 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"An undocumented immigrant is charged for murder of Mollie
Tibbetts, the Iowa college student who went missing on July 18,"
Abbott, a Republican, tweeted. "This is why so many Americans
are angry about sanctuary cities. It’s why Texas banned
sanctuary cities."

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., also called on members
of Congress, specifically Democrats, to help push forward
stricter immigration legistlation.

Rep. Steve Scalise
?
@SteveScalise
What will it take for Democrats to renounce their dangerous
open borders policies and start to put American citizens first?
It’s time they stop blocking common sense bills to restore the
rule of law in this country before we see another senseless
tragedy like this.

Fox News
?
@FoxNews
Mollie Tibbetts' suspected murderer ID'd as Cristhian Rivera,
24, living in US illegally
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/21...tts-suspected-
murderer-idd-as-cristhian-rivera-24-living-in-us-illegally.html …

3:23 PM - Aug 21, 2018
19.4K
12K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

"What will it take for Democrats to renounce their dangerous
open borders policies and start to put American citizens first?"
Scalise asked. "It’s time they stop blocking common sense bills
to restore the rule of law in this country before we see another
senseless tragedy like this."

Kate Steinle and now Mollie Tibbetts appear to have both been
killed by illegal immigrants and are the victims of failure to
enforce illegal immigration laws. #Tucker
In a nod to recent comments from fellow Republicans, Arizona
Rep. Paul Gosar called on Congress to help secure the border.

"Securing our border is about protecting our communities,
families and children from dangerous criminal activity and
violence that threatens their safety. #SecureOurBorder," Gosar
wrote, in part.

Iowa Rep. Steve King also asked for justice to be served.

Steve King
?
@SteveKingIA

US House candidate, IA-4
Mollie Tibbetts, our hearts are broken. We all prayed for your
safe return. May you now be with the Lord and your family one
day find a peace. Justice must now be served. RIP Mollie.

2:51 PM - Aug 21, 2018
4,402
1,650 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"Mollie Tibbetts, our hearts are broken. We all prayed for your
safe return. May you now be with the Lord and your family one
day find a peace," he added.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...llie-tibbetts-
murder-sparks-lawmakers-demands-for-justice-comparison-to-kate-
steinle-case.html