Advice wanted on spending a season in Canada...

Old February 3rd 04, 11:41 AM
Ray

Default Advice wanted on spending a season in Canada...

Hi, I'm from the UK and I'm currently toying with the idea of spending
3 or 4 months next year snowboarding in Canada (probably BC). I have
done some research on the web, but I would really appreciate some help
with the following questions:

1. I have seen accomodation for rent in Nelson for $800can per month
including heating. Does this sound reasonable / high / low?

2. Based on the above figure, would another $1000can per month be
enough for food, living etc?

3. If I lived in a resort town would I need a car?

4. Any suggestions on a good place to head for... somewhere cheap with
good snow and facilities?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ray.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:09 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Ray wrote:
1. I have seen accomodation for rent in Nelson for $800can per month
including heating. Does this sound reasonable / high / low?

Depends on what you're renting. Low for a big house, high for a
bachelor suite. I'm not real familiar with the real estate market in
Nelson...

2. Based on the above figure, would another $1000can per month be
enough for food, living etc?

Not sure what the above figure has to do with it, but $1000/month is
definitely enough to live on, so long as you're not in the bar all the
time. That would be your entire salary before taxes if you were a lifty.

3. If I lived in a resort town would I need a car?

Depends on which town but probably not. You might do a lot of
hitchhiking if you lived in Banff though.

4. Any suggestions on a good place to head for... somewhere cheap with
good snow and facilities?

Golden, BC is the Next Big Thing. Do a Google for Kicking Horse Resort.

Neil

Old February 4th 04, 10:30 AM
Ray

Thanks Neil, that's a great help mate.

Ray.
Old February 5th 04, 01:28 AM
Al_xtreme

You should also look at Banff for a good place to ride. You've got 3 three
mountains pretty close (Norquay, Sunshine Village know for its powder and
its true! and Lake louise). I've been there for a month last year and it was
****in A! Lots of guys from the UK outhere! ;-)

There is also Whistler where you really don't need a car and where I spend
two months and a half last season.

AleX from Quebec
m...

Old February 5th 04, 03:30 PM
Ray

Al...many thanks Mate, I will look into it. Any thoughts on how much
cash I would need (rent, pass, food etc)?
Old February 5th 04, 04:07 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Ray wrote:
Al...many thanks Mate, I will look into it. Any thoughts on how much
cash I would need (rent, pass, food etc)?

It would be helpful if you quoted a bit of the post you're responding
to. I assume you're asking about Banff?

I'm not sure if a combination Louise/Sunshine/Norquay seasons pass
exists. Personally, if I were to do it for a season I might buy a pass
at one hill (Louise for me!) and then a discount card for the other.
The discount cards offer good value for a relatively low number of days.
You can also get midweek passes for cheaper - ride your main hill
mid-week, hit the other one with the discount card on the weekend. See
www.skibanff.com for info on Sunshine, www.skilouise.com for the Lake.
I don't think they have their early-season prices posted anymore, just
be aware that both the discount cards and season passes are cheapest if
purchased early, like in October or November.

Banff is a full-service town with a supermarket and everything, so
you'll be able to buy food and cook for yourself, your $1000/month
budget should be fine.

Rent is medium-expensive there, you might consider a roommate. A quick
google for "banff rental apartments" yielded a 600 square foot 1 bedroom
for $700/month.

Sunshine is 20 minutes from Banff by car, Louise about 45 minutes. So
you would need a car or possibly there's some sort of season pass for
the shuttles that serve the hotels.

Neil

Old February 5th 04, 04:19 PM
Al_xtreme

With 1500 Cdn$ / month you'll be okay but with 2000$ you'll live like a
snowboard king ;-)

AleX

om...

Old February 5th 04, 06:59 PM
Spiff

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:07:57 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
wrote:

Ray wrote:
Al...many thanks Mate, I will look into it. Any thoughts on how much
cash I would need (rent, pass, food etc)?

It would be helpful if you quoted a bit of the post you're responding
to. I assume you're asking about Banff?

I'm not sure if a combination Louise/Sunshine/Norquay seasons pass
exists. Personally, if I were to do it for a season I might buy a pass
at one hill (Louise for me!) and then a discount card for the other.

If you are buying a discount pass for Lk Louise (Louise Plus card) it
gives you approx$12 off lift tickets...full price is $60 cdn...
You can also use an AMA card to get lift tickets at a discounted
rate.. which is a real good deal if you buy the tickets from the local
AMA office before Jan15th(Lk Louise)...You can get an unlimited number
of lift tickets for $45 cdn each...
With the Louise Plus card you have to buy it by Dec31(might be as late
as jan15)..This card also has 'double discount days' which tend to be
real earyl in the season and real late in the season....for obvious
reasons...

Spiff

Old February 5th 04, 07:15 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Spiff wrote:
If you are buying a discount pass for Lk Louise (Louise Plus card) it
gives you approx$12 off lift tickets...full price is $60 cdn...

Yeah, you also get 3 free days (days 1, 3 and 7). They're such a deal,
it makes no sense not to get one if you're not going to get a pass.

Neil

Old February 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Spiff

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:15:48 -0600, Neil Gendzwill
wrote:

Spiff wrote:
If you are buying a discount pass for Lk Louise (Louise Plus card) it
gives you approx$12 off lift tickets...full price is $60 cdn...

Yeah, you also get 3 free days (days 1, 3 and 7). They're such a deal,
it makes no sense not to get one if you're not going to get a pass.

Neil

hehe i forgot to add that part...
If you are a AMA memeber i would almost say dont get the Louise Plus
card...next season I think i might go that route...

Spiff