Need Recommendations for Mountains Near Geneva

Old February 11th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bob D

Default Need Recommendations for Mountains Near Geneva

I just found out I will have an open day in Geneva during my upcoming
business trip to Europe.

I know nothing about the Alps and would appreciate any information regarding
nearby mountains would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in
intermediate terrain, so lack of extreme slopes is not an issue. I found
some info on Verbier, including a 10KM toboggan run for those in my group
that don't ski - but wanted to get more objective info.

Also - how is the snow this year in the Alps? I have not been able to glean
much information regarding overall conditions.

Thanks,

Bob D.

Old February 11th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Bob D wrote:
I just found out I will have an open day in Geneva during my upcoming
business trip to Europe.

I know nothing about the Alps and would appreciate any information regarding
nearby mountains would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in
intermediate terrain, so lack of extreme slopes is not an issue. I found
some info on Verbier, including a 10KM toboggan run for those in my group
that don't ski - but wanted to get more objective info.

Also - how is the snow this year in the Alps? I have not been able to glean
much information regarding overall conditions.

Thanks,

Bob D.

Bob,

There are lots of websites listing all the resorts and their snow
conditions; try the ski club of GB (www.skiclub.co.uk) or
http://www.welove2ski.com or www.wtss.co.uk or some of the others.
Geneva is the gateway to many of the ski resorts in Europe and if you
look at a map you will see some top notch resorts, such as Flaine,
Chamonix, and Avoriaz only a short drive away. If the snow is good you
could also try one of the smaller resorts such as Le Grand Bornand or La
Clusaz. Verbier is a much longer drive and I would not reccomend it for
a day trip.

John
Old February 11th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Bob D" wrote in message
. ..
I just found out I will have an open day in Geneva during my upcoming
business trip to Europe.

I know nothing about the Alps and would appreciate any information
regarding nearby mountains would be greatly appreciated. I am interested
in intermediate terrain, so lack of extreme slopes is not an issue. I
found some info on Verbier, including a 10KM toboggan run for those in my
group that don't ski - but wanted to get more objective info.

Also - how is the snow this year in the Alps? I have not been able to
glean much information regarding overall conditions.

Thanks,

Hi Bob, I guess you're not from Europe, so you may need to be careful about
visa restrictions. The bigger nearby resorts are in France, but in the
Portes de Soleil there are a couple of the stations that are Swiss
territory. However I think access from Geneva, without entering France,
might be an issue.

So to ski for the day I suggest you ensure that you meet the French visa
requirements and catch a bus, taxi, hire a car and drive to either the
Portes de Soleil or the Grand Massif ski areas. Both of these are grouped
resorts with several access points, the lower ones are easier to get to, but
are less snow sure. Check the ski-club website for Avoriaz and Flaine
respectively and then follow links to their main sites. I can't speak for
Flaine, but in Avoriaz make sure you only buy a local pass as you won't be
able to access all the full area skiing in a day.

Have fun

--
Paul S

Old February 11th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

" " wrote in
message ...
Bob D wrote:
[...]

Sound advice - and also consider Les Houches, in Chamonix Valley.
Snow so far this year in the Alps is really good....
You can see for yourself in (mostly) real time using the webcams linked from
he
http://www.snoweye.com/ - worldwide
http://www.viewsurf.com/liste-tag-snow.html - what's happening in the French
mountains

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - and Online Magazine with Altitude

Old February 11th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Paul S wrote:

"Bob D" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I forgot about possible visa restrictions to France, I have a friend,
who, though she can get a visa for France, finds the queuing at the
French embassey in London a nightmare. For that reason she only skis in
Switzerland.

John
Old February 12th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Feb 11, 12:25*pm, "Bob D" wrote:
I just found out I will have an open day in Geneva during my upcoming
business trip to Europe.

I know nothing about the Alps and would appreciate any information regarding
nearby mountains would be greatly appreciated. *I am interested in
intermediate terrain, so lack of extreme slopes is not an issue. *I found
some info on Verbier, including a 10KM toboggan run for those in my group
that don't ski - but wanted to get more objective info.

Also - how is the snow this year in the Alps? *I have not been able to glean
much information regarding overall conditions.

Thanks,

Bob D.

Flaine is very good as a ski area within 1 hour of Geneva airport. You
can also access it via Samoens, Morillon, Les Carroz or Sixt which are
more typical French Alpine villages part of the same ski area. These
may appeal more to non-skiers. More info on http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/grand-massif.htm
.Snow is very good at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk
Old February 12th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bob D

Thanks for the feedback.

I have not heard of anything about visa restrictions in France. I am a US
citizen - I drove through France last year on my way from Paal, Belgium to
Barcelona, Spain and never even had to show my passport. If this is an
issue, I would need to stay in the Swiss Alps since I depart this Saturday
for a week long business trip. Please advise.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Bob D.

"Paul S" morespam@nothanks wrote in message

. ..

Old February 12th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Bob D" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not heard of anything about visa restrictions in France. I am a US
citizen - I drove through France last year on my way from Paal, Belgium to
Barcelona, Spain and never even had to show my passport. If this is an
issue, I would need to stay in the Swiss Alps since I depart this Saturday
for a week long business trip. Please advise.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Bob D.

Those countries you mention are part of the Schengen (spelling?) group and
have open borders, I'm pretty sure Switzerland isn't included.

There may well be no visa restrictions for you - it's just been mentioned as
you will have to cross an international border and we were unaware of your
status.

If your away next week then the snow should be great. I'd say try Les Gets
which is easy access as it's on the main road, only 40 miles or so from
Geneva, and has a variety of skiing for all levels in a fairly compact
space.

Have fun

--
Paul S

Old February 12th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

"Bob D" wrote in message
[...]

Paul S- Hide quoted text -

As I understand it as a US citizen you'll not need a visa for a short-
stay visit to France, just take your passport. I assume any Swiss
movements will be covered by your business visa.

Anyway, you'll be within 2 hours of probably hundreds of KMs of lovely
pistes and conditions are great. Enjoy!

Matt
Old February 13th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Bob D

One more question - are "intermediate" slopes in Europe similar to US? I
tore a meniscus two years ago and this will be my first time back on ski's,
so I want to avoid steep terrain.

Thanks,

Bob D.