Ski lenght differences with weight change

Old December 24th 03, 10:43 AM
Shriram

Default Ski lenght differences with weight change

Hi

I used to ski 177 parabolics (all rental) till last year and weigher
about 175, 5'9" tall.

This year am a bit more fit and weigh 158 lbs, would this mean I
should ski shorter ski's and if yes, how much shorter.

My profile, ski greens and some blues, pretty cautious skier and try
and cruise more than anything.

Shriram

Old December 24th 03, 03:08 PM
lal_truckee

Shriram wrote:

Hi

I used to ski 177 parabolics (all rental) till last year and weigher
about 175, 5'9" tall.

This year am a bit more fit and weigh 158 lbs, would this mean I
should ski shorter ski's and if yes, how much shorter.

My profile, ski greens and some blues, pretty cautious skier and try
and cruise more than anything.

The mantra is: "The ski only knows how heavy you are." However there are
modifiers - the ski also knows how strong you are - how much force you
exert during turns. So if you really are "more fit" and it translates to
stronger, you may want to stay with the longer ski.

You said you are on "all rentals." I'd say, try different lengths, stay
with the length that feels best. After all, they are rentals. In fact if
you rent at the mountain, you can probably try two or three different
lengths in one day, and be done with it.

Old December 24th 03, 03:25 PM
John H

Shorter? Probably, but I found it depends a lot on the type of ski, snow
conditions, speeds, etc. John Mukavitz has a book on the web at
http://www.skinow.net/ and he discusses ski length a bit.
John
om...

Old December 28th 03, 12:01 AM
Walt

Shriram wrote:

Hi

I used to ski 177 parabolics (all rental) till last year and weigher
about 175, 5'9" tall.

This year am a bit more fit and weigh 158 lbs, would this mean I
should ski shorter ski's and if yes, how much shorter.

My profile, ski greens and some blues, pretty cautious skier and try
and cruise more than anything.

There is no magic number. It depends on you, the ski, and the
conditions. Anything in the 160 to 180 range is reasonable for a guy
your size.

That said, many people are going shorter (technological changes, the
discussion of which is beyond the scope of this short missive), so you
might want to too. If you don't like the shorter ski, trade it in for
a longr one. That's the beauty of rentals.

--
// Walt
//