Beaver Creek Women's Clinic?

Old September 13th 03, 12:10 AM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On 12 Sep 2003 23:35:01 GMT, Chester Bullock penned:
snip

If I ever get some time to myself, that site will undergo a lot of
changes to comply with web standards. Yes, you guessed it, I am
becoming an evangelist on this issue. Subject near and dear to what I
do after all. And I am totally f&^&@$ tired of dealing with clueless ad
agencies that have no idea what standards and accessibility mean.

Sorry, it is 5:30pm and I am still at work. This does not please me...

And then there are diehards like me, who believe that anything that
can't be rendered in lynx has failed.

(But truly ... why should I need to see pictures to navigate an
informational site??? Let me *choose* which pictures are important.)

Oh, I agree. A standards compliant site is one which can be navigated
in the old browsers and the new, and the text based, and the talking
ones for blind people, and palm pilots, etc. The experience won't be
the same for all the platforms, but the content will still be there.

Yes, I am still here...

Chester Bullock,
Tenxible Solutions
Ethical, quality website design and programming
http://www.tenxible.com
AIM: tenxible
Yahoo: ccb247

Old September 13th 03, 01:25 AM
Varanasi Benares

Love the photo "summary." (I really wish the Eldora picture reflected
current conditions!)

Old September 13th 03, 01:25 AM
Varanasi Benares

Treasure Hunt: Try finding season ticket information on Copper's site.
You'd think that might be pretty important information.

BUT, it still beats the heck out of snow.com.

Old September 13th 03, 03:57 PM
John Webb

In article , Sam Seiber
wrote:

Is it just me, or are the site designers of today making their
sites just a bit too glitzy? ObSki: http://www.skiloveland.com
just try to catch the moving menus. Run the mouse over
their navagation bar, and watch all the moving menus.
(the one near the top, reads:
The Mountain Info Schools.......)
Yikes, I don't think their site designer really uses his own
site. Me thinks I will get the URL's bookmarked so I can
avoid this train wreck.

And like you say Chester, just try getting to the real information
on some of these sites can be tricky, if the real information is
even there to begin with. And I just love commercial sites that
need ME to have browser version 12.0 just so I can see their
useless content. I think this has gotten me on a rant. Over
the summer I built a nice simple site for a pinball place in
Lyons Colorado ( http://www.lyonspinball.com ). It will work very
nicely with old browsers. I did this by design. I want to reach
the maximum audience I can get. It would really suck for a potential
customer to go through all the trouble to look for the site, just to
find out their browser isn't modern enough to see the story.

Just last week I got the bad news that they "improved" (ie wrecked)
my fav airline site: travelocity.com. Much of the site still works
if you use the NS4.79 forward and back buttons but clicking their
navigation buttons at the bottom causes your browser to blow up.

I wrote them to ask "why" and they basically responded 'tough ****'
we aren't going to support series 4x NS and IE browsers. translation,
some lame programmer with too much time on his hands sez damn with our
customers we gotta add enough wiz-bang graphics that only those with
the latest sys and flash/java enabled software can play. At a much
slower speed for sure.

The worst was when they killed Easy Sabre, a simple text-based system
that, once you learned the archane commands ran 3 or 4 times faster
than Travelocity. No cute pictures of airplanes with the carriers
name in the carriers graphice, however- thus no good. :-(

Any snow yet.
John in MD

Old September 15th 03, 02:20 PM
Chester Bullock

Varanasi Benares wrote:

Treasure Hunt: Try finding season ticket information on Copper's site.
You'd think that might be pretty important information.

BUT, it still beats the heck out of snow.com.

Don;t even get me started on that. For some lame reason I could renew
my season pass online, but could not order new ones for my wife and
step-kids. I had to order those separately on the site (even though the
renewal area told me I had get their's in person), then call them on the
phone to get them all linked together so I can renew them together next
year. For some idiotic reason I don't understand they could do it over
the phone, but could not do it through email, even though I am the same
person either way. They didn't ask me to verify anything they couldn't
have asked through email. I just don't get it...

Old September 15th 03, 03:14 PM
Chester Bullock

Varanasi Benares wrote:

Love the photo "summary." (I really wish the Eldora picture reflected
current conditions!)

Eldora seems to have constant problems with their camera. A-Basin is
the other one that never seems to be wokring properly.

For those who aren't regular followers of that page, I decided to omit
the RSN cams because by and large they are not real time. It was a
pretty cool thing back in the day when I helped RSN set one up at
Copper. But for some reason they decided to go with one picture a day,
and it always seemed to be the one that made the resort look good. That
bothers me, because conditions aren't always primo, no matter how much
the marketing department wants you to think they are. If the marketeers
at Copper had been more Internet savvy (back in 1995-96, although they
still don't seem to be), I have no doubt I would have been in trouble
for some of the things I said about our conditions. The flip side was
that my report was never official. For some reason people seemed to eat
up the Steamboat 'Straight Talk' report that marketeer Betsy Brunton put
out. Never heard a bad word uttered about the skiing up there from that
report. I know she saw the success of my unofficial version and put a
marketing spin on it for Steamboat. Oh well, such is the way of things.
I still have my integrity intact (although I don't think most
marketeers have integrity to begin with)...

Old September 15th 03, 03:35 PM
The Real Bev

Sam Seiber wrote:

I want to reach
the maximum audience I can get. It would really suck for a potential
customer to go through all the trouble to look for the site, just to
find out their browser isn't modern enough to see the story.

I've often felt that the jerks are designing for other jerks who buy a new
computer whenever their old one fills up and which comes with windows
pre-installed. That, or just stupidity on the designer's part. Choose
one or more.

Chester Bullock wrote:

You really need to read "Designing With Web Standards" by Jeffrey
Zeldman (http://www.zeldman.com). Everyone browsing the web should have
a standards compliant browser, which NS4 isn't (sorry Bev).

Was it before M$ started mucking about with the standards? Lots of stuff
it doesn't see now, so I run Moz 1.4, soon to be 1.5.

I personally prefer Mozilla Firebird because of it's pop-up blocking and
very good standards support.

My Mozillas block popups, but that preference doesn't stick and you have
to remember to set it each time you start the program. That makes no
sense at all, but that's what happens.

OK, I feel better now. Also for the others reading over my shoulder,
Check out ObSki:Chesters site:
http://www.black-diamond.com
Click on the Cameras link, so you can follow in the fun of watching
our Colorado mountains return to white.

If I ever get some time to myself, that site will undergo a lot of
changes to comply with web standards. Yes, you guessed it, I am
becoming an evangelist on this issue. Subject near and dear to what I
do after all. And I am totally f&^&@$ tired of dealing with clueless ad
agencies that have no idea what standards and accessibility mean.

I HATE the way slashdot works. You'd think that those people could do
something decent, but NOOOOOO!

Went to the LA County Fair with 13 family members. This is NOT a good
thing to do, and requires extensive cellphonage. They have a Skyride for
something like $3 per person -- it's a really slow quad (ob)ski lift that
takes you perhaps half a mile in 7.5 minutes. No, I didn't ride it. I'm
not that desperate.

Returned home to find email from Bear Mountain, claiming that "On
September 9, 2003, Bear Mountain became the first mountain resort in the
country to make snow and open for the 2003/2004 season. It was only for a
one-day photo and film shoot but it still happened."

--
Cheers, Bev
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\

Old September 15th 03, 04:35 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 15 Sep 2003 15:35:01 GMT, The Real Bev penned:

My Mozillas block popups, but that preference doesn't stick and you have
to remember to set it each time you start the program. That makes no
sense at all, but that's what happens.

Odd. My Mozilla blocks popups and remembers to do so. What version are
you running, on what platform?

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

Old September 15th 03, 05:01 PM
Chester Bullock

The Real Bev wrote:

Returned home to find email from Bear Mountain, claiming that "On
September 9, 2003, Bear Mountain became the first mountain resort in the
country to make snow and open for the 2003/2004 season. It was only for a
one-day photo and film shoot but it still happened."

Never heard about it here, obviously the marketing ploy didn't work...

Old September 15th 03, 07:40 PM
The Real Bev

Chester Bullock wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Returned home to find email from Bear Mountain, claiming that "On
September 9, 2003, Bear Mountain became the first mountain resort in the
country to make snow and open for the 2003/2004 season. It was only for a
one-day photo and film shoot but it still happened."

Never heard about it here, obviously the marketing ploy didn't work...

Probably for their brochure. Last year they didn't have them ready until
well into the season. Not that it matters, of course.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special