Best family friendly ski resorts in Colorado?

Old August 22nd 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
stenor1

Default Best family friendly ski resorts in Colorado?

We usually ski in Tahoe (we like Northstar), but are considering a
trip to Colorado this year. Does anyone have suggestions for a family-
friendly resort in Colorado that is open the week prior to
Thanksgiving?

We are less concerned with cheap prices or black diamond runs, and
more interested in the following:

- Quality full-day kids ski-school programs (that would include
rentals, lift ticket, lunch etc)
- Good variety of terrain catering to novice & intermediate skiers
(nice long tree-lined blue runs like Northstar has...)
- Village with quality amenities & a variety of nice restaurants
within the village or nearby town
- Reasonably easy to get to (we normally drive 5 hours from Bay Area
to get to Tahoe, but would probably not want to drive more than 2
hours to get to resort after flying in to Denver).
- Quality accommodations such as condos/townhomes at or near resort,
either in walking distance or with shuttle service.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!
Old August 22nd 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Aug 22, 1:28*pm, stenor1 wrote:
[...]

Vail. The obvious. The best. Perfect for you. Trust me.

Two Buddha

Vail: Been so long I forgot that tourists can still show up.
Old August 22nd 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 8/22/10 1:28 PM, stenor1 wrote:
We usually ski in Tahoe (we like Northstar), CLIP

Any suggestions ?

I'm an Alpine Meadows & Squaw regular. Brother rented a condo in
Breckenridge so I spent a week in the environs. Skied Breck a few - slow
paced, relaxed, mostly low angle stuff. Reminded me at the time of
Northstar, so there you are. Like Northstar, there are some steeper
pitches but you have to go look for them. I imagine it's got all the
usual kid amenities. I think it fits your objective.

Also skied Vail that visit - crowded, expensive, and more like a Boreal
Ridge writ large than a real ski mountain since also a ridge stretched
along a freeway (NOT recommended) and Arapaho Basin which I really liked
- old fashioned ski mountain just like ski mountains used to be when I
was young; I understand money has pored in since then so it's probably
trashed with new condos, new lodge, on slope fine dining, and new
prices. Shame.

Editorializing: FWIW, when I get the travel urge, Utah is drivable, (10
hours from Truckee) with better snow, better mountains, less crowd, and
cheaper; same exact for Jackson Hole. And Mammoth is just around the
corner from you. If I was looking for skiing variety, and wanted to fly
somewhere I'd go north rather than east.
Old August 23rd 10, 04:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Aug 22, 4:14*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Holy ****, there are times this pathological liar and all around
scumbag really amazes me with his arrogance.
Vail is not a "real" ski mountain? Is this elitist snob joking?
Comparing it to Boreal Ridge?
You gotta be kidding me.
What really amazes me is that he thinks it is a shame when a condo
gets built....but he never condemns his fellow pathological liars when
they threaten my life, or call me a child molester and felon, or stalk
me in real life, or lie to the police, etc.
In the truly amoral mind of Lloyd whoever the **** he is (not even man
enough to use a verifiable identity), there is no shame in trying to
intimidate and terrorize.
Nor does he have any shame about his self-perceived "real" skier
identity. Just another deluded gasbag.
Fun, fun.
You play nice, and I remind you of your vile, sordid, disgusting
history. And drive the newcomer out of here.
Because no matter how you pose and preen and wear false masks, I know
the real you, asshole.
Old August 23rd 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
On 8/22/10 1:28 PM, stenor1 wrote:
We usually ski in Tahoe (we like Northstar), CLIP

Any suggestions ?

CLIP CLIP

Editorializing: FWIW, when I get the travel urge, Utah is drivable, (10
hours from Truckee) with better snow, better mountains, less crowd, and
cheaper; same exact for Jackson Hole. And Mammoth is just around the
corner from you. If I was looking for skiing variety, and wanted to fly
somewhere I'd go north rather than east.

Much good info from lal. My 5 Billion Zim Dollars worth:

The biggest issue with your criteria is finding a resort that is going
to be reliably open the week before Thanksgiving. I was going to
suggest Park City or Whistler since they hit all of your checkboxen
except that their opening dates may not be early enough. It's hard to
predict these really early season trips - I even got skunked at Tahoe a
couple of years ago in December.

For Colorado, I'd suggest Beaver Creek. It's about a half hour farther
than your 2 hr driving limit, but it hits all the other criteria. You
can fly into Eagle airport if you're really that driving adverse. If you
like Northstar, you'll love the beave. Not cheap, but you don't seem to
care about that. Of course, they may not be open the week before
Thanksgiving either. That's really hard to predict.

Probably your best bet is to book plane tickets to Denver or Eagle, then
wait until a week or so before you go to book accommodations. See who
has the best conditions / most open and head to that resort.

//Walt
Old August 23rd 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Aug 23, 8:29*am, Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

How nice. Two pathological liars acting all sweet. The same freaks
who never have a word to say when one of their buddies accuses me of
molesting children, or being a convicted felon, or encouraging me to
commit suicide.
The REAL freaks of RSA.
This is fun.
Old August 23rd 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Aug 22, 5:14*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

No, none of that. New mid mountain lodge, new high speed quad on the
back side making it 40% bigger and a new high speed quad this year
this year to replace the Exo lift. Some improvements to parking so
it's easier to cross the road. That's about it.

Old August 23rd 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Aug 23, 9:29*am, Walt wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Beaver Creek is not likely to be open the week before Thanksgiving.
Its usual opening day is Thanksgiving weekend.

For Colorado the OP's options are going to be Loveland, A-Basin,
Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper, Vail and Wolf Creek. Possibly
Steamboat. There are a lot of resorts that don't try to open until
Thanksgiving. The best bet would be to get a place in Frisco and play
it by ear since things are pretty much hit or miss that time of year.
Since you can drive to all the Summit County resorts and Loveland and
Vail it's best to check the daily ski reports to see what's open and
who had the most snow the night before. Usually Loveland and A-Basin
have the best coverage that time of year since they are the highest.
Old August 23rd 10, 08:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Stuart[_2_]

"Walt" wrote in message

If you
like Northstar, you'll love the beave.(r)

Sounds great. IMO a good family resort needs stripper bars, cheap hookers.
No dope dealers..Strictly in bad taste IMO

Old August 24th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Stuart wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

If you like Northstar, you'll love the beave.(r)

Sounds great. IMO a good family resort needs stripper bars, cheap hookers.
No dope dealers..Strictly in bad taste IMO

I have no idea whether either Northstar or BC has strip joints, cheap
hookers, or even a Hooters for that matter. I go there to ski. YMMV.

//Walt