Colorado (Denver area) XC areas

Old January 31st 06, 04:23 AM

Default Colorado (Denver area) XC areas

Hope not to make anyone who has as little snow as we do here in upstate
New York too jealous, but we're heading off to Colorado to find snow
towards the end of next week.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with XC areas
within a couple of hours drive from Denver. Devil's Thumb, Beaver
Creek/McCoy Park, Keystone...they all tell great stories online, but
I'd sure like to hear from someone who's been there.

Thanks for any info!
David

Old January 31st 06, 05:25 AM

Devil's Thumb, Snow Mountain Ranch, Breckenridge, Eldora = all great in
their own way (lots of good snow too now too). Beaver Creek = don't
waste your time. Frisco kinda dull.

Regards
Chris

Old January 31st 06, 01:37 PM

Living in Vail Colorado, I have skied all of the areas you have
mentioned multiple times a season. My favorite nordic ski areas in the
state are Devil's Thumb, Snow Mountain Ranch and the Frisco Nordic
Center. All three offer excellent trails, views, nordic center and
superb grooming. I would not bother with Eldora or Keystone. One is
on a golf course and the skiing is mediocre at both. McCoy Park at the
top of the Strawberry Park Lift in Beaver Creek is geared more towards
show shoeing than nordic skiing, but the views are fantastic and it may
be the only time you will ever ski in set track above 11,000 feet and
probably closer to 12,000 feat.

Other areas worth mentioning are the Breckenridge Nordic Center. Not a
whole lot of kilometers, but they have a loop called Siberia Bowl that
makes a visit worth while. The areas around Steamboat, Latigo Ranch
and Vista Verde in particular offer an excellent nordic experience.

Stephen

Old January 31st 06, 02:02 PM

Hi xcwhite - I'd have to disagree with you on Eldora. The grooming is
not that great and the trails are narrow but... if you like to train
hard it is very hilly and the level of athlete and general vibe there
is outstanding with the local NCAA teams training there more often than
not. Last Sunday I skied for a while with some guys who I later found
out were on the olympic rowing team trying to keep in shape for the
winter.

Regards
Chris

Old January 31st 06, 05:19 PM

If you were flying all the way from New York, would you make a point of
going to Eldora?
I would just stay home and head up to Lake Placid.

Old January 31st 06, 05:35 PM

David -

I'm a Coloradan - Here's my list...

1. Devil's Thumb Ranch - Excellent grooming, Awesome trail system,
great views of moutain peaks. The place is like a XC skiing a
country club with new lodging, a spa, 5 star dining, etc.

2. Snow Mountain Ranch - A little more primitive than DTR but great
skiing. This is a huge complex with a lot do do besides skiing run by
the YMCA.

3. Frisco Nordic Center - Great place and easy access off I-70 from
Denver. Traffic on the weekends can ruin it though..

4. Breckeridge - A little small in acreage, but challeging trails that
are wll groomed.

Vail, Gold Run, Keystone are golf courses turned nordic in the winter.

Eldora - Bring your rock skis - regardless of the amount of snow. Be
prepared to suffer as most of the runs are on steep terrain.

Jim

Old January 31st 06, 05:45 PM

Someone was telling me yesterday about a high school team from
the Twin Cities that went to Snow Mtn Ranch this year for Thanksgiving
Week, I think. Something like $350 per person for everything,
including the chartered bus. Said that they were almost the only
nordic skiers there, that the vast majority were downhillers. Nice
accomodations, winter wonderland skiing. Had a great time.

Gene

Old January 31st 06, 07:56 PM

Hi David,

Chiming in on more Colorado skiing: Devil's Thumb and Snow Mountain are
superb skiing. Lots of trail choices with all sorts of terrain and
beautiful views. Frisco is nice, but only seems to have really steep
crazy trails or really gradual and almost boring trails.

Skip Eldora. For a lowlander, the combination of excruciating hills,
bad trails, mediocre grooming and high altitude are overwhelming. Much
better off spending your time at the other venues. It is OK if you're
a local and need to make a quick trip up to ski, but probably not worth
a special trip. We are having an amazing winter with the snowpack and
I put 3 big new scratches in my rock skis today.

-Nathan
www.teamfsx.com

Old February 1st 06, 03:55 AM

Wow, thanks to everyone for the helpful information. We've locked in
plans for Devil's Thumb and Snow Mountain Ranch. It will be great to
see snow, finally. If I'd known this winter was going to be such a
complete bust I would have kept rowing right past the end of rowing
season in November.

Thanks again,
David