Need to test Video Clips

Old January 31st 06, 10:52 PM

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:22:41 GMT, klh
wrote:

I have winXP and I thought quicktime.
I got a message saying quicktime did not have enough software and they
were not available on the quicktime server
[as best i can remember... as soon as i clicked that went away]

but it tried to play. i had something at the bottom of the window and
the little button moving across the screen showing progress in the file.

I had the same experience.

and it took a LONG time to load but i only have a 768 dsl connect. good
thing i didn't try from sweden with my 43k dialup and then have it not
work :-(

It's 10MB which is a lot.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 31st 06, 11:53 PM

Well, followed this thread with great great interest, and did watch the
HS clips with no problem. However, Gene's link to these World Cup clips
was MUCH appreciated.
Interesting how the EuroSports coverage differs from ours...I'd say, for
one thing, the camera crew or production people have more than a passing
knowledge of classical technique. Showing the course in topographical
map format just ROCKED, IMHO. Close up work of feet, poles, etc.
certainly differs from what I'm used to watching. These clips have been
downloaded and watched many happy times.
Thanks!!!!
Randy
Old February 1st 06, 12:34 PM

Are you coming down to the Eastern Canadians this weekend at Nakkertok?
If so, bring your video equipment and you are sure to capture some
pretty good climbing technique going up Montee Mcarthy or the Chute.
Unfortunately Babikov is not coming because he has other commitments...

Chris

Old February 1st 06, 01:33 PM

In article ,
Balls of Steel wrote:

Well, followed this thread with great great interest, and did watch the
HS clips with no problem. However, Gene's link to these World Cup clips
was MUCH appreciated.
Interesting how the EuroSports coverage differs from ours...I'd say, for
one thing, the camera crew or production people have more than a passing
knowledge of classical technique. Showing the course in topographical
map format just ROCKED, IMHO. Close up work of feet, poles, etc.
certainly differs from what I'm used to watching. These clips have been
downloaded and watched many happy times.
Thanks!!!!
Randy

Thanks to all who responded and looked at the clips... First, let me say
that I realize that the file size could be further compressed, with an
associated degradation in quality... I decided not to do this, because
the whole point of HD content on the web is that it look as close to the
original as possible... lowering the frame rate introduces unacceptable
artifacts in my opinion. I also realize that not everyone has a
broadband connection or Quicktime 7... however, QT7 is available for
windows2000 and windowsXP, for those that wish to use an up to date
Quicktime viewer... encoding clips for the web is definitely a sideline,
which I cannot spend too much time on, but there will be a series of
clips posted to the club's site over the winter, probably about two per
day, not all of which will be as long as the first one... the two that
were posted yesterday run about 1.5 to 2mb each, but are only about 15
seconds long...

Thanks again to all who responded, its much appreciated.

Glenn
Old February 1st 06, 08:10 PM

Hi Glenn,
I see you have some new ones:
http://www.porcupineskirunners.com/g...sterSkate1.mov

and

http://www.porcupineskirunners.com/g...sterSkate2.mov

First off: lay off the zoom. Set the focal length to frame the skier from
shoulders to skis at his/her closest approach - then leave it there. You
resisted the temptation to zoom on the first two thirds of HillClimb and it
made it a much better video.
Second: keep the camera glued on the skier. That means either a really good
tripod head (which you don't appear to have) or hand-held. I can see you
jerking the pivots on these clips and between that and the zooming it's
often hard to see the skiers' technique. The camera person should be
tracking the skier and not paying any attention to what the skier is doing.
Watch the frame composition - not the skier. Keep the skis stuck to the
bottom of (and in) the frame
Third: edit it down. In the HillClimb and Skate1 we spend around a third of
the time watching the skier doing nothing interesting - cut it out.
As far as the lighting: the cloudy day actually worked in your favor. You
will find that on a sunny day, the contrast is too high for the camera and
you lose all detail in the dark clothing of the skier. Have the skiers wear
light colored clothing if you can.

Good luck,
Bob

"Glenn Simmons" wrote in message
Hi All...

Our cross-country ski club just posted a video clip on its website and I
would like to solicit the groups opinion on whether or not the file size
needs to be modified. The clip is approx 2 minutes in length and 10mb
in size. It is in Quicktime7 format using the high-definition H.264
codec. It is a video of one of our nationally ranked junior skiiers
demonstrating a proper technique for climbing a hill in classic style.
Please post your thoughts on the video regarding size etc here on the
group... It should be noted that the video was shot on a very cloudy day
and the temperature was hovering at about -1 celsius. I am intending to
post many more clips of this nature on the website in future... this
weekend we had a series of races which were all filmed and those clips
should be available in the next few days (a very sunny day, great video
quality, lots of action).

Thanks,
Glenn

Old February 1st 06, 10:17 PM

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:33:26 -0500, Glenn Simmons
wrote:

, QT7 is available for
windows2000 and windowsXP, for those that wish to use an up to date
Quicktime viewer...

Who is your audience? Is it reasonable to ask them to upgrade their
software for this?

There's lots of stuff online that I can't view due to not havig the
latest software, and with almost no exceptions, I just pass on it
rather than make changes to my machine. Some of your potential
audience might feel the same way.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old February 1st 06, 10:35 PM

In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob...

Actually, when these clips were done, I didn't have a good tripod, it
arrived friday (Libec H55 Head), so hopefully the videos done from this
point onward will not have the jerkiness... I was amazed at the
difference in smoothness between the cheap tripod and this one, it is
true you get what you pay for... Also, the videos shot up until now
have been mostly test footage... there is a handheld (shouldermount)
clip posted today (DevelopmentTeam), done on a sunny day, which I think
looks pretty good... but, I don't mind the critique, so if you have any
suggestions, keep em coming...

Glenn