Newell's Sprint

Old January 28th 06, 08:08 PM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

Default Newell's Sprint

I just finished watching the Oberstdorf sprints and they were exciting as always. The mens sprint was especially interesting with the last 100m. This is an excellent example to show little kids why you should never quit until you cross the finish line. If you look closely at Newell he takes a little hesitation and takes a quick peak behind him to see where Rotchev is. This cost him the bronze medal. I still think he raced awesome, but it's an excellent example to show kids when they come into racing. NEVER GIVE UP!
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1...vnewell5gz.png
Roctchev is on left, Newell on right.
Cheers

Last edited by doogiski : January 28th 06 at 08:29 PM.
Old January 29th 06, 07:07 AM

Looks like I'm the only seeder left. This file is starting to hurt my
bandwidth as I have seeded this file up to a ratio of 4.5. I'll give it
one more day. We should all try to seed files up to a ratio of one (at
least) so we spread the load evenly.

Couple things I noticed in this race: What happend to Koos in the
quarters? He had a huge gap then looks like the wheels fall off on the
next hill. Vorde mentioned something about wax on teamtoday.org but it
looked like he just hit a wall. Also, was it just me or were Newell and
Koos just running up the hills, interesting technique (which was
obviously fast), especially compared to Odd-Bjorn and Svartedal.
Lastly, it seemed whoever had the starting gate the third from the
right got screwed up almost everytime, kinda ****ty luck there.

So far my personal fav has been the Otepaa sprint were Lind takes off
and crushes the field. That is how its done.

Old January 29th 06, 04:40 PM

These sprint files are very large. I buzz thru the prelims and spend
more time with the later stages, then after a day or two they come off.
Sorry, but we can't all be repositories for everything. I've had
Azureus open a lot the past week and rarely see any action.

Gene

Old January 31st 06, 05:09 AM

Your post piqued my curiosity. How you get Newell looking to the
side from this very fuzzy still shot (or the video) is beyond me.
Rather, I suggest looking at two other things. First, at video count
1:25:07-11, Newell comes around the next-to-last corner too closely,
drifts wide and almost loses it. It appears he was fighting to stay
upright just before the camera leaves him. This allowed Rotchev, who
was far behind coming down the hill, to substantially close the gap.
Later, in your still shot (and in the video), we can see Newell sliding
to the finish line with one knee down on his ski, presumably creating
drag. Rotchev, whose much greater height probably gave him an
advantage, has his back knee up so that he is glding freely on both
skis. It doesn't look to me like Newell hesitated, but made a couple
of costly choices in split-second circumstances. Things to be learned
from.

Gene

--
doogiski

Old February 1st 06, 12:24 AM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
[...]

Gene,
I think I didn't explain myself fully in the original post. You are right when you say that Newell didn't hesitate or look sideways are the finish when they are lunging. He hesitated and looked to the right about 40m from the end. If you watch the video it is inbetween the 1:25:30 and 1:25:33 mark he does look over his right shoulder. You can cleary see him break his double poling rythym for a split second and look to his right to see where Rotchev is, but Rotchev is in the same track as him and is right on his ski tips. Rotchev sees Newell look back and jumps at the opportunity and switches tracks. This is what I intended it to say in the original post. Sorry for any confusion.
Cheers,
Adam
P.S. I posted the photo to show that every inch counts and that you have to give it your all until you cross the finish line.

Last edited by doogiski : February 1st 06 at 12:26 AM.
Old February 1st 06, 06:18 AM

Maybe he looked over his shoulder, maybe he didn't; the high angle
distant shot (blimp?) makes it hard to say for sure. Newell didn't
need to turn to see where Rotchev was because he could see the latter's
skis thru his legs at the end of each poling. Rotchev was at that point
skiing much faster and had come up hard on Newell's skis. Whether
Newell turns or not, what's Rotchev going to do, stay there and come in
fourth?? He's the more experienced racer at this level and perhaps in
running up he meant to throw Newell off. But remember, what looks
astute is often actually coincidental, or even the result of error. To
wit, maybe Rotchev misjudged the situation and waited longer than
necessary to change lanes. I still think the Newell's stumble on the
downhill curve was far more important because without it Rotchev could
probably not have gotten back in the race.

Gene

-

Old February 2nd 06, 12:17 AM

For a revealing photo, see the second one down at
http://www.teamtoday.org/Stories/tab...3/Default.aspx

From the Team Today site:

"That's about a boot size... Way it went down was that Newell was third
at the bottom of the first climb, second and inches behind 1st at the
top. He was second at the start of the second hill with Odd Bjorn
coming strong. Newell was still in third at the top of the final hill
but was spent. Rotchev caught him just before the finish and what you
see above is the end of the story. Later that night Rotchev gave Andy
a bottle of special vodka as a gift for a great battle. It was an
excellent show of sportsmanship. Andy then gave the bottle to Trond,
Vidar and I as a gift to us. Thanks Andy!"

Old February 2nd 06, 12:27 PM

From Fasterskier
http://www.fasterskier.com/news3039.html

" I don't think it should have ever come down to a lunge with Rochev, but I
learned not to look next to me in the lanes in a final, just go."

Dave

et...

Old February 2nd 06, 01:47 PM

Thanks, Dave. Looking to the side in the final meters at the finish
line is what the TT photo shows. The OP said Newell hesitates and takes
a quick peak behind him a few seconds before this, which if he did
doesn't show up clearly in the video on my screen. My sense is Rotchev
made it closer than it needed to be.

Gene

From Fasterskier