how fast do you go?

Old March 5th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Default how fast do you go?

hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured? I recently had
a skier friend who races regularly say he thought I was going about 40
down one of our more open blue runs while making some fairly wide turns
on my Incline (by no means straightlining it downhill). He seemed to
think this fairly fast but I never considered myself to be going fast,
just kinda normal speed for me on that run.

So just wondering if anyone has every been clocked for real on a regular
non-race ride? And what about the guys on the race boards? I imagine
there will always be a drop off compared to skiers who have two edges to
work with, but how much?
Old March 6th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

Mike M. Miskulin wrote in :
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

Our last snowboarding holiday was in a ski area with a piste which had
speed measurement (Fiss, Austria, the 'Rennstrecke' on the Northern side of
the area). Blue piste, limited area to gain speed, you go between two
points with sensors and you see your speed on a big sign. I went down
in a straight line and made 63.2 km/h.

There are probably more measuring tracks like this one in other areas.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers

Visit the site about books with reviews
http://idefix.net/ http://www.virtualbookcase.com/
Old March 8th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C[_2_]

"Koos van den Hout" wrote in message
Mike M. Miskulin wrote in
:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

Our last snowboarding holiday was in a ski area with a piste which had
speed measurement (Fiss, Austria, the 'Rennstrecke' on the Northern side
of
the area). Blue piste, limited area to gain speed, you go between two
points with sensors and you see your speed on a big sign. I went down
in a straight line and made 63.2 km/h.

There are probably more measuring tracks like this one in other areas.

Koos

Interesting question. I'm slightly *neurotic* about gadgets and have a nice
handheld GPS that includes that data. Top speed, alt, trip odom, etc. It
will also download data points (a plotter-type graph) and overlay Google
maps. Our most recent family trip was to Steamboat and the results were
interesting.

Top speed, 42 mph. (This was done over in Wally World on Tomahawk, PP
conditions. I wanted to try this over on Buddy's Run, but it was a wee bit
icy for my taste so I dialed it back a bit.)
One day distance traveled, lift lines included - 35 miles.

It was cool to see the travel up and down mountain. I don't get on mountain
often, so when the opportunity arises my mind enters this data free zone and
I lose track of time and space. Didn't ever think about how many lift rides
I took in one day, but I think we were served 12 or 14 times. Wish there
were some larger hills and more snow here in Atlanta. LOL.

Anyhoo, I was a little suprised by both numbers.

I have a helmet cam that is decent, but watching bullet cam video does a
terrible job of conveying to the viewer speed and pitch. Not enough
definition due to white out condition and even with a filtered mic, just
about all you hear are voices and wind. Ergo, I don't show the vids to my
buddies because it looks nothing like that double black I bragged about
during apres. The footage resembles sledding down my driveway. LOL.

SC

Old March 8th 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

Sean C SeanC wrote in :

"Koos van den Hout" wrote in message
Mike M. Miskulin wrote in
:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

Our last snowboarding holiday was in a ski area with a piste which had
speed measurement (Fiss, Austria, the 'Rennstrecke' on the Northern side
of
the area).

Interesting question. I'm slightly *neurotic* about gadgets and have a nice
handheld GPS that includes that data. Top speed, alt, trip odom, etc.

We have such a device too, but my wife usually walks/cycles/snowboards with
the GPS.

I have a helmet cam that is decent, but watching bullet cam video does a
terrible job of conveying to the viewer speed and pitch.
The footage resembles sledding down my driveway. LOL.

Hmm.. I stumbled across http://www.goprocamera.com/ and they make it look
easy to get nice helmet cam video. So you still need a good director and
stunt coordinator

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/
PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263
Old March 9th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

"Sean C" SeanC wrote in :

I have a helmet cam that is decent, but watching bullet cam video does a
terrible job of conveying to the viewer speed and pitch. Not enough
definition due to white out condition and even with a filtered mic, just
about all you hear are voices and wind. Ergo, I don't show the vids to my
buddies because it looks nothing like that double black I bragged about
during apres. The footage resembles sledding down my driveway. LOL.

SC

There are indeed some nice cams for reasonable prices that go
directly to a flash card so no wires or external recorders. But
I think the problem can be that the focus is always too near
so you lose perspective on the pitch of the run. Kinda like
how runs always look steeper at the bottom then when you are
on them or how moguls look way smaller from the chair over head
than when you are buried in them

Old March 9th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean C[_2_]

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
. 3.44...
"Sean C" SeanC wrote in
:

[...]

LOL. True, true. About the moguls, anyway.

My helmet camera does require attaching to an older sony handycam. The
newer flash card or solid state-type recorders do a much better job with
resolution, but they still haven't quite made the components small enough to
include a more wide-angle lens or automatic white balance adjustment. Most
of my video is very washed out when aimed at the snow; however, my
motorcross footage is fantastic and the colors pop.

Here's to the near end of another season. Cheers to all...

Sean

Old March 9th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

No, but according to my wife, it's too fast.

Neil
Old March 30th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christian G. Becker[_2_]

Am 05.03.2010 23:49, schrieb Mike M. Miskulin:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

I have a GPS-logger with display and speed-measuring. Got 75 km/h at two
points in the recent winter:
* at Les Crosets in Portes Du Soleil (Swiss/France): under the Les
Mossettes - Lift at the Abricotine - slope. You have to speed up there
to make it to the next lift. Darn blue slopes with hills
* at Åre (Sweden): the Paradisbacken - slope in Duved. Hard and cold snow.

I only take the thing out at places where I can keep an eye on the
display, it is rather meant to log the places I've taken photos of on
the slopes. Maybe I'll look into the gathered data, if I can calculate
speeds from it.

Krischan
Old April 5th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

"Christian G. Becker" wrote
in :

Am 05.03.2010 23:49, schrieb Mike M. Miskulin:
hey now - any one ever had their speed reliably measured?

I have a GPS-logger with display and speed-measuring. Got 75 km/h at two

Hmm.. I can see it now.. board mounted lcd/led display
with speed, location, tilt, temperature... someone give
me their iPhone and I'll strap it to my board

Why Is A Ski Fast? jimbo Alpine Skiing 8 December 25th 06 02:52 AM
How fast have you gone on rollerskis? Chris Esposito Nordic Skiing 13 December 8th 04 11:41 PM
fast cash MATTHEWMIP Marketplace 0 October 3rd 04 06:39 PM
Fast freeride? Ian Snowboarding 19 May 7th 04 10:30 PM
How fast is Super G? John Smith Alpine Skiing 9 February 23rd 04 09:11 PM