Fun first race of year (Gran Traverse, MI) & meet Netizens

Old February 14th 05, 04:02 PM

Default Fun first race of year (Gran Traverse, MI) & meet Netizens

Well, I finally got up to a race this year. I missed the Vasa but got
up north in time for the Gran Traverse Classic 16km the next day. What
a nice day, blue skies (or maybe that was the day before...once race
was under way I didn't notice the weather).

I'd say the best things for me, other than the race, was visiting
friends up north. We went to a dandy post-race Vasa party after the
drive north, then stayed at a friend's house. Man, that Up North is a
nice place, with some nice folks in it.

The trail was dandy hard pack: would've been GREAT for skating with
ice-skis. Sadly, it was a DP-fest---they shortened the trail and took
out the 4km of striding hills. We got to keep several h-bone hills.

Man, those leaders are fast. I couldn't keep up with the DPers even in
the first flat km. I was in 11th at the halfway point then hopped up to
9th. I am totally happy with how I did. It was fun to go all-out. I
hadn't DPed on snow for more than a km this year. I didn't fall apart
on the h-bone---but boy would it be nice to learn how to do that move
properly!

I did get to step ahead of an arch-rival---Dick F.---but he was just
100 yds back the whole way and that had me going the whole race at 110%
despite being by myself. A nice motivator. Perhaps he also went harder
than usual due to having an arch nemesis just ahead! A downstater ahead
of an upnorther is not taken lightly!

FrontRunner got 3rd---at the front the way he likes it. Mike
"Telewhacker" went superfast for 6th. He's going GREAT this
year---moved up quite a bit over last year. Too bad Dell Todd and Mike
Muha didn't race: they coulda beat me, too! : ) ...Maybe! Ya won't
know til ya show!

I got to meet FrontRunner and Birkie after the race and put some faces
and jokes to the Internet names.

I've been hearing that maybe Team NSR is mopping up this year in the
Michigan Cup team race. That's cool. An internet team kickin' butt!

For this race I busted out my 70's Adidas outfit---Swedish knicker
outfit being way too hot---it was fun enough but knickers are where
it's at.

Fellow Team NSRer Tim Feldkamp and I devised the Duct Tape points
series a few years ago. This year we got the idea of a
beer-belly/results ratio score. Who places the highest with the biggest
gut? I think I was the first finisher yesterday who has trouble fitting
into his trousers. Boy, skinniness sure helps in XC (and cycling)!
However, there's another guy who would've finished near me if he'd
raced---who used to often win overall---but who has put on 40 pounds
lately. So he would've beat me both ways probably to take the title.
But I don't think this is a prize one can nominate others for. No, it
has to be WON!

I didn't wear a HRM (all year) and didn't miss it. But my goal will
still be to lose 10 lbs for next season. Weight loss is the best way
for typical midpackers to move up, I suspect.

--JP

Old February 14th 05, 07:51 PM
delltodd

Man Telewhacker got 6th !? That's great. He is having a very good
year. Best ever.

Also, yes the FrontRunner had a great weekend.

I love that sunday classic race, but I had to sit out to try to recover
from a recent bout w/the flu. I was able to race the vasa on saturday
(albeit not at full power) but I felt racing 2 days in a row would have
been a mistake. I had been looking forward to the opportunity to see
where all that Noquey classic prep might have put me yesterday.
Dagnabbit.

So Jeff Potter comes out of hibernation, and I miss it. That is the
kind of winter it has been for me !

Old February 14th 05, 11:28 PM

Whups, sorry: Tele got 7th, I just saw. Bad memory. Well, he did real
good anyway. And you had a fine Nokie, Dell---sounds like a good year
already to me. --JP

PS: I'm sore in a new way today. That's good stuff!