beginner skiier technique question?? turning

Old February 25th 14, 01:38 AM
ajnadel ajnadel is offline
Junior Member

Default beginner skiier technique question?? turning

when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?
Old February 25th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 02:38:34 +0000, ajnadel
wrote this crap:

when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful
turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

Take up golf.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 25th 14, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:18:27 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

On Monday, February 24, 2014 6:38:34 PM UTC-8, ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing

directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.

people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful

turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.

any suggestions?

This has got to be a troll. Sounds like Horvath discussing ski technique.

Sounds like Trunky trolling for liddle boys.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old February 25th 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Monday, February 24, 2014 7:38:34 PM UTC-7, ajnadel wrote:

Think about it. When they are facing "straight down the hill" you haven't "finished" your turn. You are only 1/2 way there!

Some turns are meant to increase speed. So be careful to take advice geared towards the results you are looking for in YOUR turn. And that is to get across the hill and slow down.

Do your wedge turn. As you get better and more confident the skis will become more parallel. Don't let "parallel" become your goal. It will come.

OH, and just ignore the loon if/when it appears. Long history of disgusting behavior. Easily verifiable. But not worth anyone's time and it really only wants attention so don't give it to it.

Old February 25th 14, 04:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful
turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

Try on less steeper slope. just not flat.

Un pressure your edges when you are perpendicular to the downhill fall
line. Then roll on to the down hill side edge and start your next turn.
A common phrase used is "roll the edges" and by shifting your hands
and body position you go from one edge to the other. One other reference
is steer with you big toe. This can be practiced on nearly flat terrain.
One thought that follows me to initiate a turn is it is similar to a
hockey stop same start just not so much turn as to stop. But if you
practice hockey stops on skis it will be easier to turn.

Skis normally have a radius and will turn roughly in that arc when you
are on the edges.

Practice on hero snow easy to turn on groomed stuff. Watch other skiers
body position.. Master the simple stuff also some snow conditions on
certain terrain are unskiable by novices.

Trying to learn on ice is difficult requires stiff skis with very sharp
edges and try to avoid boiler plate ice.

Old February 25th 14, 04:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 25/02/2014 18:14, downhill wrote:
ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful
turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

Try...

putting your hand in your pocket and paying for a lesson or three.

Old February 25th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_6_]

On 2/24/2014 9:38 PM, ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful
turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

No. Really...
Don't listen to anything anybody says about skiing unless they are a ski
instructor and is in front of you and both you and (s)he have skis on.

All of the words in the world cannot tell you how to ski. You need to be
shown. Many ski area have "Learn to Ski" packages which include a lift
ticket, rental equipment and instruction for little more than the price
of the lift ticket alone.

Some people here will tell you to "use your edges", "roll your
knees/ankles toward the inside of the turn" and many other good
suggestions, all of which work but all of which are initially
uncomfortable, counter-intuitive and impossible to tell if you are doing
correctly unless someone who knows is observing you.

I see lots of people on the hill who, being very athletic, think they
can take a lift to the top and have a successful ride back down and just
simply do not/cannot.

Someone once commented (here I think) that making a turn on skis was
very counter-intuitive. I replied that sliding down a slippery mountain
with two planks strapped to your feet was counter-intuitive.

Let someone show you how. Please. If you've gotten this far, then you
know there is some pleasure to be had in skiing. Don't let lack of
knowledge make you give up completely.

Old February 25th 14, 05:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a successful
turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

Try...

putting your hand in your pocket and paying for a lesson or
three.

I do.

I might take one for SL on thurday night
then I have two days of downhill training before the DH and I might have
my regular coach at Okemo spend and hour or so with me during the
training time.
Old February 25th 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:

I see lots of people on the hill who, being very athletic, think they
can take a lift to the top and have a successful ride back down and just
simply do not/cannot.

Someone once commented (here I think) that making a turn on skis was
very counter-intuitive. I replied that sliding down a slippery mountain
with two planks strapped to your feet was counter-intuitive.

Let someone show you how. Please. If you've gotten this far, then you
know there is some pleasure to be had in skiing. Don't let lack of
knowledge make you give up completely.

Very true.

I was just practicing and repeating what the coaches tell me.
I am well past needing a lesson but I take lessons and coaching when
ever I can. As much as my son hates the go to lessons he has a great
time and comes back a better skier. daddy still has 6 or 7 seconds on
the nastar course on him and he is getting closer to the gates.

Nobody wants to be told to spend money on lesson it is degrading.

But the resorts target newbies with great priced programs to teach
beginning skiing. They make more money when you keep returning.

Old February 25th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

ajnadel wrote:
when I attempt a parallel turn, my skis tend to end the turn facing
directly downhill, which can turn into a mad tumble down the slope.
people say that I should dig in the edges, but to pull off a
successful turn, it seems like pure luck to come all the way around.
any suggestions?

Keep pressure on the tongues of the boots with the front of your ankles,
especially right as you start your turn. Beginners tend to sit back, which makes
the skis want to go straight down the hill. The more the ski points down the
hill, the farther they sit back. Pushing forward with your knees to apply that
pressure to the tongue engages the front of the ski, causing it to turn quicker.
The more pressure you apply to the front of the skis, the easier it will be to
turn quickly.

As others suggest, a real lesson can be worth the money. Or, find someone to ski
with who has had good lessons, that can cue you in to the right ways to ski.