A suitable end to Thanksgiving weekend

Old December 2nd 13, 12:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default A suitable end to Thanksgiving weekend

We went out and paid charity visits to elderly and disabled folks in Bastrop County today. They were delighted to see us.

Also, we stopped by the brother-in-law's private gun range. He let me shoot some new toys, and I let him shoot my Chinese Type 53, which (as I've mentioned before) is Chairman Mao's clone of the famous Soviet Mosin Nagant (MN) 1891/30 7.62x54R combat rifle.

Everything that I've heard about the MN / Type 53 is true -- it's a combination flamethrower, rocket launcher, and shoulder-held cannon. Surprisingly, though, it kicks less than I expected. Interestingly, the permanently attached folding bayonet made all respects of handling easier. And the iron ring sight was delightfully easy to use.

I'm going to order a few MNs next week and "sporterize" one of them a little. It'll get a longer bolt curved for mounting a sight, and I may get a scope kit. The bolt is really the shortcoming on these rifles for sport use, because it's just not long enough to make chambering rounds easy. I may also try "candling" in the bolts on all of them to smooth up the action a little.

From an ergonomic standpoint -- the shorter stocks, especially on the 53, are well-suited to smaller framed people like members of the billion-man Chinese army. The 53 felt a little small to me, but comfortable. On my brother-in-law, who's a foot taller than I am, his elbows stuck out about seven feet on each side.

The too-short bolt makes the shooter much more deliberate in cocking and firing, because it means that every shot has to count -- re-chambering and reloading is much, much more difficult than with "flamethrower" guns like an M16 or AK47. You have to WANT to shoot every round with one of these. (Remember that MNs, with and without scopes, were ferociously efficient in the hands of both Soviet and Finnish snipers, killing Nazis and Commies alike with little or no regard.)

Same with the unpadded stock. You have to want to pull the trigger. But -- the iron butt-pad makes the 53 a useful weapon from both ends, in many different ways. The brilliant muzzle flash is very intimidating, the bayonet no less so, and the "stupid" end is an excellent tool for clubbing running-dog capitalists (or any foe) into silent submission.

It's no wonder why the Soviets produced 27 million MNs, and the Red Chinese an unknown quantity to equip their billion-man army.

In other news ... I made bubba-in-law shoot the 53, and he made me shoot his .45-70 lever-action carbine. They both hurt. "Fair is fair."

I also tried my new Taurus .45ACP, and it compares favorably to my Taurus 9mm, except it's predictably louder and has more kick. I also tried BIL's new-to-him laser-sighted concealed-carry 9mm with the barrel about 1/4" long, and it was fairly brutal. My sister's new .380 concealed-carry auto was much more civilized, and I'll soon be looking for a .380 for real concealed carry. It can't throw as much loud heat down-range as my 9mm, but it's a lot easier to keep on-target. And even though a pocket .380 only holds 6 or 7 rounds, at the true range necessary in concealed-carry self-defense, that should be enough.

Roxy tried my 9mm and the .380, and decided that she needed to get comfortable with a much smaller weapon. Not so much because of the kick as much as because she has tiny hands, and can't control the muzzle climb really well.. So a Ruger Bearcat may be in order, or else a lady-sized .357 with a longer barrel and a custom trimmed-down grip.

When it starts snowing here, I'll stop posting OT range reports.

PS -- I have already cleaned all of my weapons that I took to shoot today.
Old December 2nd 13, 01:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 6:48:18 PM UTC-6, twobuddha wrote:

Translation: you bought a Munchkin gun.

Thus spake Scott Bare-nekkid Abraham, who brags on his thimble-sized, needle-caliber Ruger Mk 2 (or Mk 3, he's not sure which) that shoots "manly" .22 rimfires, and who poaches free ammo from his victi -- er, friends.

It's pathetic that you can't front $150 to buy a Mosin Nagant, nor $100 to buy a SPAMMO can of 440 rounds of Commie bullets for it.

I even doubt that you have $5 for a can of WD-40 and $2 for a bottle of Dawn dish soap and some hot water to clean one of those rifles after you shoot it.

But that's never been an issue for you, as you've already said here. You don't clean your Ruger after you use it.

Is that why Lurleen dumped you? You don't wash after shooting?
Old December 2nd 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:27:52 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I hope you're joking. You don't really clean your weapons with dish
soap and WD-40, do you? You don't put them in the dishwasher do you?

No. I can afford Hoppe's No.9.

However, the primary nasty waste products of Berdan primer ammunition are sodium and potassium chloride, which swiftly react with atmospheric moisture to cause corrosion in the barrel and receiver. Both chemicals are highly soluble in hot water, and can thusly be easily removed with hot soapy water..

Then you need to remove the water and soap.

Hoppe's No. 9 is a water-based cleanser, so it's suitable for use. WD-40 displaces water but isopropanol makes water evaporate almost instantly, so it's good for a rinse.

I used some Windex, some sudsing ammonia, and some isopropanol. Then I used Hoppe's on a wire brush, and then on a couple of cotton swabs until the barrel swabbed clean. Then more isopropanol on cotton swabs, and a flush with WD-40, then a drench with Kroil.

I must have used 50 cents' worth of stuff on the 53 ... not counting the heavy coat of Aerowax on the wood stock pieces. Tomorrow I'll polish out the wax and inspect the barrel.

All the crap I poured on it tonight took off more cosmoline. It'll probably a year before all the cosmoline is purged out. Meantime the Kroil can soak into the metal and the Aerowax can soak into the wood.

I'll inspect the 53 in a few days. The Kroil has it waterproofed like nobody's business.

Meantime I'll get a few MNs mail-order and take them to the range, and clean them out too. After a few trips, all the cosmoline will be worked out of the barrels and the receivers.

I was thinking about getting some of those fittings you put on the end of the barrel so you can screw on an oil filter to trap all of your gun-cleaning chemicals and protect the environment.
Old December 2nd 13, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:23:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Really? I shot the M-14 hundreds of times. It has a steel buttplate
and fires 7.62 NATO rounds. I've always found it smoother than the
M-16. Perhaps the recoil spring need some adjustment?

The MN is not a semi-auto and thus there is no recoil spring.

There are a few adjustments to be made to the bolt, but none of them affect recoil. The MN is basically a century-old big-a$$ rifle with a big-a$$ powder charge and a big-a$$ slug. The only fix for the kick is a butt-pad. Fortunately the kick is not THAT bad, and it's actually less than my short-barrel 20 ga shotgun, and comparable to my 12 ga pump.

Although I rarely put the pump on my shoulder to shoot it. I just point it in the general direction of interest, and put the butt against one of my stainless steel hip replacements. No nerve endings there....
Old December 2nd 13, 04:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 7:04:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Also, we stopped by the brother-in-law's private gun range. He let me shoot some new toys, and I let him shoot my Chinese Type 53, which (as I've mentioned before) is Chairman Mao's clone of the famous Soviet Mosin Nagant (MN) 1891/30 7.62x54R combat rifle.

Everything that I've heard about the MN / Type 53 is true -- it's a combination flamethrower, rocket launcher, and shoulder-held cannon. Surprisingly, though, it kicks less than I expected. Interestingly, the permanently attached folding bayonet made all respects of handling easier. And the iron ring sight was delightfully easy to use.

Sounds like fun. Just remember that Adam Lanza has the 2nd amendment right to own and shoot all this stuff too.

Dave
Old December 2nd 13, 12:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 10:39:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Stallard wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 7:04:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Also, we stopped by the brother-in-law's private gun range. He let me shoot some new toys, and I let him shoot my Chinese Type 53, which (as I've mentioned before) is Chairman Mao's clone of the famous Soviet Mosin Nagant (MN) 1891/30 7.62x54R combat rifle.

Everything that I've heard about the MN / Type 53 is true -- it's a combination flamethrower, rocket launcher, and shoulder-held cannon. Surprisingly, though, it kicks less than I expected. Interestingly, the permanently attached folding bayonet made all respects of handling easier. And the iron ring sight was delightfully easy to use.

Sounds like fun. Just remember that Adam Lanza has the 2nd amendment right to own and shoot all this stuff too.

HAD. HAD. Actually, the second-amendment right is contingent on individual citizens maintaining a modicum of law-abiding behavior. State law regarding age to purchase notwithstanding, Lanza had the right to keep and bear arms up until when he killed his mother and stole her guns.

Indictment or conviction for a felony revokes your right to keep and bear. By extension, so does the commission of a capital offense, but when the enemy takes away your guns it's only temporary until the proper legal machinations occur. Although ... "death by cop" isn't something we regard as "temporary" or "proper." Only one's status as an unindicted felon is temporary..