Snow Summit yesterday

Old February 25th 11, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default Snow Summit yesterday

On Feb 24, 10:39*pm, The Real Bev wrote:

Is haggis seasonal?

I don't know. I've never tried it here. But I suppose if the
opportunity presents itself while I am there I will try it. Besides
golf we plan to do some biking. Lot's of little villages, sea coast,
history to see. There will be out of the way lunch stops and so. Who
knows what you'll end up with in those situations? That's part of the
fun.

St. Andrews itself, besides being the home of golf is a college town.
Oldest in the UK?

I heard a story about a man that died and his dog sat at his door for
12 years. The town adopted him so that he could get past the stray dog
rules. 18th or 19th century I think. There's also a place with
connection to the Robinson Crusoe story. And a round of golf takes
roughly 4 hours. Let's not forget that there will be some distilleries
to visit. There will be plenty to do. But I'll let you know how haggis
is if I try it.
Old February 25th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:30:03 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

On Feb 24, 10:39*pm, The Real Bev wrote:

Is haggis seasonal?

. But I'll let you know how haggis
is if I try it.

What the hell is haggis? Is it something disgusting like shepard's
pie, or blood pudding?

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 25th 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/25/2011 11:30 AM, pigo wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:39 pm, The Real wrote:

Is haggis seasonal?

I don't know. I've never tried it here. But I suppose if the
opportunity presents itself while I am there I will try it. Besides
golf we plan to do some biking. Lot's of little villages, sea coast,
history to see. There will be out of the way lunch stops and so. Who
knows what you'll end up with in those situations? That's part of the
fun.

The sheep gut is what discourages most people
about haggis. It's really meat loaf made with
whatever is available. Commonly ground mutton
with cooked barley or oats (wheat doesn't grow
very well that far north). Then the meatloaf
is stored in the sheep intestine just like
sausage is stored in pig intestine.

St. Andrews itself, besides being the home of golf is a college town.
Oldest in the UK?

I heard a story about a man that died and his dog sat at his door for
12 years. The town adopted him so that he could get past the stray dog
rules. 18th or 19th century I think. There's also a place with
connection to the Robinson Crusoe story. And a round of golf takes
roughly 4 hours. Let's not forget that there will be some distilleries
to visit. There will be plenty to do. But I'll let you know how haggis
is if I try it.

Distilleries are neat places. I would warn you
that NOTHING is open except pubs on Sundays.
Then, if you want to bring back some scotch,
buy it at duty-free in Reykjavik. Cheaper than
Scotland.

When we came back from Costa Rica last
week, there was a check point set up AS WE WERE
BOARDING our plane in CR, after we had been
through security and were inside the gate area.

Apparently you could bring back booze in your
checked luggage but not in your carry-on, no
matter what. To prevent good scotch from being
dumped down the drain, ask if you can carry
it on. Note that the check point was well after
where you check your luggage.

I heard that they were looking for booze and
were confiscating same. We didn't buy any even
though there was plenty of cheap/good rum at
the duty-free inside the gate area.

Go figure.

Old February 25th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 25/02/2011 17:27, VtSkier wrote:
On 02/25/2011 11:30 AM, pigo wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:39 pm, The Real wrote:

Is haggis seasonal?

I don't know. I've never tried it here. But I suppose if the
opportunity presents itself while I am there I will try it. Besides
golf we plan to do some biking. Lot's of little villages, sea coast,
history to see. There will be out of the way lunch stops and so. Who
knows what you'll end up with in those situations? That's part of the
fun.

The sheep gut is what discourages most people
about haggis. It's really meat loaf made with
whatever is available. Commonly ground mutton
with cooked barley or oats (wheat doesn't grow
very well that far north). Then the meatloaf
is stored in the sheep intestine just like
sausage is stored in pig intestine.

Close, but not entirely accurate, there's also the sheep's heart lungs
liver and kidneys in the mix, and it's put in a sheep#s stomach and then
boiled. Had it for the first time ever here in Italy of all places and
it was excellent, very tasty...

Old February 25th 11, 05:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 25, 9:55*am, wrote:

What the hell is haggis? *Is it something disgusting like shepard's
pie, or blood pudding?

Shepards Pie is just meat, potato, and veggies. Not disgusting. I
think haggis is something made with guts.
Old February 25th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 25, 10:32*am, BrritSki wrote:

Close, but not entirely accurate, there's also the sheep's heart lungs
liver and kidneys in the mix, and it's put in a sheep#s stomach and then
boiled. Had *it for the first time ever here in Italy of all places and
it was excellent, very tasty...

I've eaten tounge and stuff like that. And I'm sure I'll give it a
try. They used to serve it in a bar here in SLC but I determined that
SLC wasn't the place to try it. I will in Scotland.

Old February 25th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 25, 10:27*am, VtSkier wrote:

Distilleries are neat places. I would warn you
that NOTHING is open except pubs on Sundays.
Then, if you want to bring back some scotch,
buy it at duty-free in Reykjavik. Cheaper than
Scotland.

All the times I've been to Holland I've never been to the Heiniken
place. I tell myself I'll get there this time. We arrive on Sunday
night and leave on Fri night so closures shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not a Scotch drinker. But when in Rome....... It will be nice to
have a bottle in the bar for guests though. We're flying MSP/AMS/EDI.
Reykjavic won't be in the itenerary. I've bought plenty in AMS
though.

When we came back from Costa Rica last
week, there was a check point set up AS WE WERE
BOARDING our plane in CR, after we had been
through security and were inside the gate area.

Thing change so who knows what it is today. After 9-11 I was allowed
to buy things inside of security (duty free) in Europe and carry it
home with me. After the mixed explosives plot sometime later I bought
at duty free and carried it on however in the USA when I claimed my
bags for customs I had to put my liquid in checked baggage for
domestic flights. That's what I expect this time.

Apparently you could bring back booze in your
checked luggage but not in your carry-on, no
matter what. To prevent good scotch from being
dumped down the drain, ask if you can carry
it on. Note that the check point was well after
where you check your luggage.

There is a licorice flavored beverage that I like to bring back from
Holland. Not available here. So the last couple of times I've just bit
the bullet and paid the duty to bring back more than the one litre pp
max. Last time I brought back 6 bottles. So I go the long way through
customs when I get back here. Last time I had my dog with me too. Not
this time though.

The guy I went to with the dog was evidently new. He shuffled the
papers but had some trouble advancing through the process. I had
thouroughly researched the process and had everything done perfectly.
By the time the supervisor came over to speed us alone she was
apologetic as she sent us on our way. I told her I had duty to pay for
some booze too, she asked how much, 6 bottles, she said "no big deal,
go ahead". WhoooooooHooooo !!! I hear it's only about $3 per bottle
though.

As the time draws near I will probably call customs and catch up on
everything tho.
Old February 25th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Feb 25, 8:30*am, pigo wrote:
[...]

No doubt you will visit the distilleries. A lot.
Speaking of new experiences, why didn't you show up in SV, at DV, etc,
and call me a child molester to my face?
I guarantee you would have had an experience you would never forget.
DIAPER UP!!!!!
Old February 25th 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

On 2/25/2011 12:32 PM, BrritSki wrote:

Close, but not entirely accurate, there's also the sheep's heart lungs
liver and kidneys in the mix, and it's put in a sheep#s stomach and then
boiled. Had it for the first time ever here in Italy of all places and
it was excellent, very tasty...

Well, yes, one would expect that Italian chefs are able to make even
haggis tasty. The Scots on the other hand...

//Walt

Old February 25th 11, 08:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:09:01 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote this crap:

I've eaten tounge and stuff like that.

I think you mean tongue. I had some that was excellent. It was
boiled until soft, then roasted and seasoned. It tasted like steak.