Bear Mt 1-21-11

Old January 23rd 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Bear Mt 1-21-11

I tried to post this on RSAM yesterday but it seems to have gotten
lost in the system.

Weather - just about perfect - no clouds, little wind, cold enough to
avoid afternoon slush.

Snow - icy in spots, but all the good runs were skiable. Geronimo was
a little tricky since they apparently had left the snow guns running
all night in one position so there were big piles of gluey man-made
wirh patches of ice between. That should get better as it gets skied
out this weekend. The best was probably on Silver Mountain, the one
in the middle with the old slow double chair. All the best runs were
as good as they get at Big Bear unless there is recent snow.

Crowds - No real lift lines anywhere except on the big quad, and that
was just a couple of minutes. The upper parking lot was full by the
end of the day, but not the gold course lot, so no shuttles needed.

Equipment - I wore the chocolate shell pants over my jeans for the
first time. One of the waist band clips fell off, but I was wearing
the new suspenders I bought at Mammoth. I had to reset the packing
inside the left boot after the first run because I had a seam folded
over my shin. Otherwise - no problem.

Roads - SInce the front way up 330 is still washed out, I went up 38
through Yucaipa. I little study on google maps and my GPS led me to
try the zigzag east on 10 to Beaumont and back west on 60 to 215 at
Moreno Valley. That is about the same distance and avoids tha San
Bernardino/RIverside trafic mess. NOT recommended for Sunday
afternoons, though, because the weekend return traffic on 60 gets down
to stop and go.

Old January 23rd 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:
[...]

Layers yesterday::
Bottom: Socks and tightie whities, thermal long johns, jeans, shell
pants.
Top: t-shirt, turtleneck, flannel shirt, parka.

In the middle of the day, I decided I could have done without the
jeans. I was sweating pretty good.
Old January 23rd 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

My experience with jeans is that they absorb moisture and cause
chills/chaffing etc
Old January 23rd 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It was just an easy choice.
Old January 23rd 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

wrote:
[...]

jeans. *I was sweating pretty good.- Hide quoted text -

Stupid enough to stalk. Stupid enough to lie about lying to the
cops. And stupid enough to wear cotton. Man, that is some serious
stupid, Dickless Henry.
Old January 23rd 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote:
[...]

Kewl Dick Gozinya and Dickless Henry having a gear discussion. Irony
meter wears jeans skiing.
Old January 23rd 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/23/11 11:30 AM, Dick G wrote:

My experience with jeans is that they absorb moisture and cause
chills/chaffing etc

and death, if you're caught out ...
Old January 23rd 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 23, 12:54*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/23/11 11:30 AM, Dick G wrote:

My experience with jeans is that they absorb moisture and cause
chills/chaffing etc

and death, if you're caught out ...

I find cotton on the inner layer to be comfortable. Synthetics on the
inner layer, even socks, give me a rash and chafing without the sweat.
Old January 23rd 11, 09:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On 1/23/11 11:30 AM, Dick G wrote:

My experience with jeans is that they absorb moisture and cause
chills/chaffing etc

and death, if you're caught out ...

I find cotton on the inner layer to be comfortable. *Synthetics on the
inner layer, even socks, give me a rash and chafing without the sweat.

That makes all kinds of sense, consider that your inner later is a
cotton diaper.

Big Bear lal_truckee Alpine Skiing 13 December 29th 10 02:58 PM
Just another day at Big Bear Richard Henry Alpine Skiing 8 January 15th 10 12:22 AM
big bear Adam North American Ski Resorts 0 January 10th 07 12:34 AM
Anyone been to Big Bear, CA yet? Jason G Snowboarding 1 November 8th 04 09:19 PM
Anyone been to Bear Mtn yet? stephen enriquez Snowboarding 0 December 2nd 03 08:24 AM