Serre Chevalier

Old January 6th 04, 02:43 PM
Rob White

Default Serre Chevalier

If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I get to
anf from Serre Chevalier?

Rob

Old January 7th 04, 08:46 AM
WeatherCam

"Rob White" wrote in message
If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I get to
anf from Serre Chevalier?

Rob

Turin is 1hr 20 mins if conditions are ok - if you use Lyon or Grenoble you
risk the chance of the Col du Lautaret being shut if the weather
turns.....did Turin before Xmas and stayed in Montgenevre -15 mins from SC

Regards
WC

Old January 7th 04, 11:26 AM
Bob C

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I get

anf from Serre Chevalier?
Rob

Turin is 1hr 20 mins if conditions are ok - if you use Lyon or Grenoble

you
risk the chance of the Col du Lautaret being shut if the weather
turns.....did Turin before Xmas and stayed in Montgenevre -15 mins from SC

Regards
WC

Turin closest though 1hour 20 minutes is quick driving. Then Grenoble then
Lyon then Marseilles. There are weekend busses from Lyon (Satobus) and
Marseilles. I am not to sure about Turin and Grenoble, tourist office would
probably know.. The train takes for ever from Lyon as I once discovered.
Though you can get the TGV to Oulx from Paris with bus connections, or a
sleeper to Briancon.
If there are several of you car hire is the most practical option it also
means you can visit nearby esorts covered on the lift pass.
I wouldn't worry to much about the Col de Lautaret being closed it is a
major road. I don't think it is much more frequent than the Col de
Montgenevre closing. If they do close it is a much quicker drive round
through Gap than driving around from Italy.

Weathercam - I read your post previously about skiing in Montgenevre,
Claviere.
The last time I was there there were big signs up at the Montgenevre lifts
to say you could not ski off piste in Italy, are these still there, I am
interested because I am going to Briancon again this Easter.

Bob

Old January 7th 04, 12:55 PM
PG

"Bob C" wrote in message

| "WeatherCam" wrote in message
| If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I
get
| anf from Serre Chevalier?

| Turin is 1hr 20 mins if conditions are ok - if you use Lyon or
Grenoble
| you
| risk the chance of the Col du Lautaret being shut if the weather
| turns.....did Turin before Xmas and stayed in Montgenevre -15 mins
from SC

| Turin closest though 1hour 20 minutes is quick driving. Then Grenoble
then
| Lyon then Marseilles.

Chambéry (Flybe), 2 hrs drive away, is just as close as Grenoble. Then
St Etienne (3 hours), and Nice with cheap Easyjet flights, (but probably
3 1/2 hours' drive from Serre Che.)

One of the reasons you rarely meet any Brits in the southern French
resorts is the lack of nearby airports, and poor motorway access.

Pete
http://eausalee.alpesprovence.net/im...s/arcs2912.htm

Old January 7th 04, 03:56 PM
Rob White

Thanks guys - but 1hour 20 from Turin? I'd have though at least 2 hours!!

Rob

Old January 7th 04, 08:00 PM
Frank

"PG" wrote in message ...
"Bob C" wrote in message

| "WeatherCam" wrote in message
| If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I
get
| anf from Serre Chevalier?

| Turin is 1hr 20 mins if conditions are ok - if you use Lyon or
Grenoble
you
| risk the chance of the Col du Lautaret being shut if the weather
| turns.....did Turin before Xmas and stayed in Montgenevre -15 mins
from SC

| Turin closest though 1hour 20 minutes is quick driving. Then Grenoble
then
| Lyon then Marseilles.

Chambéry (Flybe), 2 hrs drive away, is just as close as Grenoble. Then
St Etienne (3 hours), and Nice with cheap Easyjet flights, (but probably
3 1/2 hours' drive from Serre Che.)

Easyjet is flying to Marseille as well now. Ryanair fly to Nimes-Arles
if you're desperate, probably a bad plan unless you're hiring a car

One of the reasons you rarely meet any Brits in the southern French
resorts is the lack of nearby airports, and poor motorway access.

Pete
http://eausalee.alpesprovence.net/im...s/arcs2912.htm

And that most S. resorts are small if you're spending a week (except
Serre Che & Vars/Risoul)?
Old January 7th 04, 09:29 PM
PG

"Frank" wrote in message
om...
| "PG" wrote in message
| "Bob C" wrote in message
| |
| | "WeatherCam" wrote in message

| One of the reasons you rarely meet any Brits in the southern French
| resorts is the lack of nearby airports, and poor motorway access.
|
| Pete
| http://eausalee.alpesprovence.net/im...s/arcs2912.htm
|
| And that most S. resorts are small if you're spending a week (except
| Serre Che & Vars/Risoul)?

And Pra-Loup/Val d'Allos....

Yes, the tour operators don't bother with the south too much - a shame,
they're got plenty to offer the average Brit skier. And this year
they've had the best conditions so far...

Pete

Old January 8th 04, 10:54 AM
Frank

"PG" wrote in message ...
"Frank" wrote in message
om...
| "PG" wrote in message
| "Bob C" wrote in message
| |
| | "WeatherCam" wrote in message

| One of the reasons you rarely meet any Brits in the southern French
| resorts is the lack of nearby airports, and poor motorway access.
|
| Pete
| http://eausalee.alpesprovence.net/im...s/arcs2912.htm
|
| And that most S. resorts are small if you're spending a week (except
| Serre Che & Vars/Risoul)?

And Pra-Loup/Val d'Allos....

Yes, the tour operators don't bother with the south too much - a shame,
they're got plenty to offer the average Brit skier.

People can always make the effort to sort it out themselves, you do
meet a *few* Brits even in the smaller stations, it's not that
difficult to find accomodation & sort out travel independantly using
the web... & TBH I've a feeling that the "average" Brit group that
takes a week package to one of the massive domaines wouldn't be too
happy with many of the S Alpes stations (less nightlife, not so easy
to get by in English etc...)
And this year
they've had the best conditions so far...

Yep

Pete

I'm guessing from your web url that you're an ex-pat in Provence? I'm
near Manosque
Old January 8th 04, 03:16 PM
PG

"Frank" wrote in message
om...
| "PG" wrote in message

| Yes, the tour operators don't bother with the south too much - a
shame,
| they're got plenty to offer the average Brit skier.
|
| People can always make the effort to sort it out themselves, you do
| meet a *few* Brits even in the smaller stations, it's not that
| difficult to find accomodation & sort out travel independantly using
| the web... & TBH I've a feeling that the "average" Brit group that
| takes a week package to one of the massive domaines wouldn't be too
| happy with many of the S Alpes stations (less nightlife, not so easy
| to get by in English etc...)

Few do though. Brits can be pretty lazy and unadventurous when it comes
to holiday arrangements...

(

| I'm guessing from your web url that you're an ex-pat in Provence? I'm
| near Manosque

10 years near the Ventoux, moved to the Savoie (Bourg St Maurice) couple
of months back...... hence the ( above.

Pete

Old January 24th 04, 12:25 AM
daniel sikar

Frank wrote:

"PG" wrote in message
"Bob C" wrote in message

| "WeatherCam" wrote in message
| If I go independently, which is the best airport to use & how do I
get
| anf from Serre Chevalier?

| Turin is 1hr 20 mins if conditions are ok - if you use Lyon or
Grenoble
you
| risk the chance of the Col du Lautaret being shut if the weather
| turns.....did Turin before Xmas and stayed in Montgenevre -15 mins
from SC

| Turin closest though 1hour 20 minutes is quick driving. Then Grenoble
then
| Lyon then Marseilles.

Chambéry (Flybe), 2 hrs drive away, is just as close as Grenoble. Then
St Etienne (3 hours), and Nice with cheap Easyjet flights, (but probably
3 1/2 hours' drive from Serre Che.)

Easyjet is flying to Marseille as well now. Ryanair fly to Nimes-Arles
if you're desperate, probably a bad plan unless you're hiring a car

There is a very reasonably priced transfer from Marseille airport to Serre
Chevalier. It only operates on Saturdays.
Details can be found on http://www.mrsairport.com/ - follow link to
"Navettes Blanches".