Recommendations For Somewhere A Bit Special

Old August 16th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

Default Recommendations For Somewhere A Bit Special

We have skiied regularly for the last 10 years, usually 2 -3 times a year
and have normally done so on a budget of about £700 to include travel, 1/2
board or chalet board accommodation and the lift pass. 19th March next year
will be our 30th wedding anniversary & I thought I'd splash out on somewhere
more upmarket and (obviously!) more expensive. In terms of resorts we will
go somewhere with a reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent
skiers and so far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor
any of our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

Rob

Old August 16th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
James Hart

Rob White wrote:
We have skiied regularly for the last 10 years, usually 2 -3 times a
year and have normally done so on a budget of about £700 to include
travel, 1/2 board or chalet board accommodation and the lift pass. 19th
March next year will be our 30th wedding anniversary & I thought
I'd splash out on somewhere more upmarket and (obviously!) more
expensive. In terms of resorts we will go somewhere with a
reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent skiers and so
far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor any of
our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

How expensive do you want to go?
http://www.scottdunn.com is a pricey option.

Old August 16th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Kelly

In message , Rob White
writes
We have skiied regularly for the last 10 years, usually 2 -3 times a year
and have normally done so on a budget of about £700 to include travel, 1/2
board or chalet board accommodation and the lift pass. 19th March next year
will be our 30th wedding anniversary & I thought I'd splash out on somewhere
more upmarket and (obviously!) more expensive. In terms of resorts we will
go somewhere with a reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent
skiers and so far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor
any of our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

Push the boat out
Switzerland
Zermatt
Grand Hotel Zermatterhof

I took my daughter there (with Scott Dunn) for her 21st - well worth
it.
http://www.matterhorn-group.ch/en/ze...rhof/index.php

http://www.scottdunn.com/cgi-bin/pcr...scottdunn.com/
ski/holszermatt.html#hotels&B=ski
--
PK
Remove the xtra y from my name in the email address if replying
Old August 16th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Rob White wrote:
In terms of resorts we will
go somewhere with a reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent
skiers and so far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor
any of our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Love it or loathe it, Val D'Is has got some pretty upmarket chalets. Le
Chardon (www.lechardonvaldisere.com) is meant to be good, and has a
fair roster of A-listers amongst it's clientelle. The Scott Dunn places
in Val are alegedly up-to-scratch as well. Big skiing area too - come
and see how we slum it in Tignes :-)

I've heard Chamonix can be a bit of a pain when it comes to getting out
on the slopes since it's a 'thriving town' in its own right and not a
ski resort. No personal experience of this though.

Have to say - I liked the Matterhorn sugestion. Quite tempted myself if
I can bribe my bank manager.

Let us know how it goes!

Matt

Old August 17th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

"James Hart" wrote in message
Rob White wrote:
We have skiied regularly for the last 10 years, usually 2 -3 times a
year and have normally done so on a budget of about £700 to include
travel, 1/2 board or chalet board accommodation and the lift pass. 19th
March next year will be our 30th wedding anniversary & I thought
I'd splash out on somewhere more upmarket and (obviously!) more
expensive. In terms of resorts we will go somewhere with a
reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent skiers and so
far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor any of
our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

How expensive do you want to go?
http://www.scottdunn.com is a pricey option.

Actually much of their stuff is not too bad, lots at £1000-£1300 pppw and I
would not mind paying that for somewhere a cut above the norm. Mind you
they do have some chalets at £24,500pppw!!!
Rob

Old August 17th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

Rob,

1. Zermatt. Plenty of choice of suitable accomodation and great
views and mountain eating. Reservations needed at all the best
mountain restaurants. Long lunches in the sun.

Easy to get to as well. Fly to Geneva and then take the train. No
coach transfers.

2. 3V - Courchevel 1850. Again plenty of accomodation choice.

Best way there is the Eurostar Saturday train. Go Leisure Select and
you get breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Get off at Moutier 7
hours after leaving Waterloo. Private transfer to resort and no
hassles.

Stan

Old August 17th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
dh

Hi Rob,
3V, St Anton, Chamonix, all great ski areas but the first two have the
edge as "ski resorts". IMO for a 30th wedding anniversary The Arlberg
wins and offers many more romantic settings than Espace Killy, nothing
too slushy mind you. Specific suggestions? Hotel Alte Post would be the
most suitable of all St Anton hotels - central location, great ambience
in log fire bar, the old restaurant (not the new extension to rear) and
a great wellness centre. Packages booked directly include 6-day lift
pass. Drive a hard bargain if you are able. The owner has been cranking
up prices for a while now and needs pegging down a bit. You will enjoy
it, but there are alternatives elsewhere in the Arlberg. If you happy
to stay in an altogether much smaller village, St Christoph is worth
considering and can check out 4-star Hotel Maiensee (good value) or at
commensurately higher price the 5-star Hospiz Hotel with an excellent
new spa and you have super easy/fast access to main St Anton ski area.
And remember to book (days ahead) a table for lunch on the balcony at
Hospiz Alm. Or how about Lech? The Hotel Tannbergerhof in centre of
Lech is worth a look or what about ski-in ski-out hotels in Oberlech
such as Goldener Burg or the Burg Vital hotel. Take a look at the
following www.ultimate-ski.com links in case helpful:
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Ski_R...ton/index.html
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Ski_R...urs/index.html
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Off_Piste/index.html
The other resorts you are considering are also featured and the third
link above takes you to pages about the off-piste possibilities
Happy 30th anniversary pending
Have fun
dh

Old August 17th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Kelly

Default Recommendations For Somewhere A Bit Special (off topic)

In message , Paul Kelly
writes
In message , Rob White
writes
We have skiied regularly for the last 10 years, usually 2 -3 times a year
and have normally done so on a budget of about £700 to include travel, 1/2
board or chalet board accommodation and the lift pass. 19th March next year
will be our 30th wedding anniversary & I thought I'd splash out on somewhere
more upmarket and (obviously!) more expensive. In terms of resorts we will
go somewhere with a reasonable size ski area that is suitable for competent
skiers and so far I'm considering 3V, St Anton & Chamonix. Neither I nor
any of our ski friends know of any more expensive chalets, so any
suggestions would be welcome.

Somewhere different:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/paulkelly/dubai%20ski%20facilties.htm

But not in Europe.