Lake Tahoe plans

Old February 22nd 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

Default Lake Tahoe plans

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:43:14 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

On 2/21/11 3:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/21/11 07:10, down_hill wrote:

The ones that work on the West Side and eat at dinners we do not call
models they are called street walkers or women of the night.

"Strolling hostesses."

Snow Bunnies. No, wait. That's a different classification. For Snow
Bunnies it's not cash, it's comestibles and libations.

Candy is dandy, liquor is quicker.

amen
Old February 24th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Lake Tahoe trip report

Pretrip: my son flew down Friday night for the big Poway-RB rivalry
soccer game (Poway won 2-0 in the rain to stay league co-champs and
kept #1 seed in the San Diego Section D1 playoffs this week) and his
summer league tryouts in Ventura over the weekend. We got back to
Davis about midnight, and then off to my hotel in Sacramento after
dropping him off.

Day 1: over the pass from Sacramento to Sugar Bowl, taking old US40
down from the summit. The day was cold, light wind and overcast,
breaking to partly cloudy after noon. I got a small unexpected
discount on the list ticket because of my age (60-69-$65). The
resort has two bases, one with parking right on US40 and a gondola
ride over to lifts and trails, and the other up a short access road to
another set of interconnected trails. The trails run over a
complicated set of ridges and knolls - I spent most of the day not
knowing where I was. The snow conditions were groomed remnants of the
weekend's storm (You shoulda been here yesterday). Because of the
flat light and variable footing, I skied with caution most of the
time. I would rate this area worth another visit.

Day 2: I drove up the lake from S. Lake Tahoe and over the ridge
toward Reno to Mt. Rose. I got there early enough to park on the
second row, so I ditched my backpack for the day. Because it was
Tuesday, I partnered up with some stranger and we got 2-for-1 tickets,
so I ended up paying $35. (I found out later that Wednesdays are over-
the-hill-day - $35 for those over 50). Mt. Rose is essentially 2 6-
pack lifts linking separate bases at a common peak, with
interconnected trail networks. The day was blue-sky clear and cold,
with intermittent blasts of icy wind. I heard riders on both lifts
say the wind was probably less on the other side. I would go bakc,
especially on a Wednesday.

Day 3: Since I was staying in South Lake Tahoe, I took the short
drive to the California side of Heavenly Valley. I snagged a parking
spot 30 seconds walk from the tram base, so I left my backpack in the
car again. I swallowed hard before paying the $92 lift ticket price.
I haven't skied there since '93, so I remembered very little of it. I
spent the first few hours just enjoying being lost, and I didn't look
at a trail map until I was looking for a place to eat. The weather
was bright, clear and cold again. The snow was groomed down to
perfection in most of the mountain. I liked all of it except the big
bump runs, where I made the expected fool of myself.

Homeward bound tomorrow, so of course the weather prediction is for
wind and snow. I plan an early departure to beat the most of it.
Old February 24th 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:25:11 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote:

[...]

How many ski days for you this season? I hit 47 last week which is
below average (counting my SA trip)
Old February 24th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote:
[...]

below average (counting my SA trip)- Hide quoted text -

12, I think, at 7 areas, counting Snow Summit as separate from Bear Mt
and Mammoth separate from June in spite of common ownerships. I need
3 or 4 more at SS/BM to justify my season ticket purchase.

Weather Channel is warning of possible record-breaking cold and snow
down through California, but the sky is mostly clear, no snow, no wind
at SLT as I pack up this morning.

Old February 24th 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are having a good season! Nice trip too. I worked at
Mt. Rose in 1975. I think a ticket was $4.50. The other side was
called Slide Mountain, a seperate area. And those chutes that face the
valley were off limits. At the time I didn't ski though. I rode the
skibike around from lift to lift. I got on skis about twice I think.
No instruction or tips. Just went out there and flailed. Ahhhhhhhh
those were the days.

Old February 24th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

A decent season, not enough skiing there Richard...
Old February 25th 11, 06:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 24, 8:10*am, Dick G wrote:
not enough skiing there Richard..

I agree.
Old February 25th 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Feb 24, 11:40*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Feb 24, 8:10*am, Dick G wrote:
*not enough skiing there Richard..

I agree.

Kewl. Dickless Gozinya and Dickless Henry agreeing. I bet SPD is
laughing their ass off.
Ooooops, forgot. Obviously, no LE is reading this crap.
Contact info?
EMERGENCY SOCCER GAME!!!!!!

Lake Tahoe Bunter[_2_] North American Ski Resorts 5 October 24th 09 05:54 AM
Lake Tahoe Mike Alpine Skiing 13 July 7th 06 09:32 PM
Lake Tahoe A A North American Ski Resorts 2 February 20th 04 02:34 AM
in lake tahoe 1/25 Traz99999 Alpine Skiing 0 January 16th 04 11:31 AM
Lake Tahoe end Mar..beg Apr spike North American Ski Resorts 6 December 22nd 03 01:44 AM