Tips for Mammoth in March?

Old February 11th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

Default Tips for Mammoth in March?

Does anybody have any tips for Mammoth in the March time-frame?
Specifically:

- general lay of the land in terms of where to stay
- good hotels, but not too expensive?
- specific dates to avoid (like spring break week?)
- best parts of the mountain to ski

What I'd like to to do is fly into Mammoth, and not have to rent a
vehicle to get there and around. Their website does claim that it's
not a problem to do that...

- Dave
Old February 11th 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Feb 10, 9:10*pm, Dave Stallard wrote:
Does anybody have any tips for Mammoth in the March time-frame?
Specifically:

- general lay of the land in terms of where to stay
- good hotels, but not too expensive?
- specific dates to avoid (like spring break week?)
- best parts of the mountain to ski

What I'd like to to do is fly into Mammoth, and not have to rent a
vehicle to get there and around. *Their website does claim that it's
not a problem to do that...

* - Dave

Motel 6 is about $70/night, Mammoth Mt. Inn up to $1000/night. I
would shoot for Quality Suites, $160/night (cheaper with Choice Hotels
affinity group membership).

Free shuttles run on all the village main streets and to all the lift
bases all day, and from MM In to the village in the evening.

I have never had aproblem with snow in March and this year already the
snowpack is enough to last into June. OTOTH, the weather can go bad
quickly and I have seen the entire mountain closed for a day or two at
a time for winds.

Alny time in March will be somebody's spring break, but the mountain
is big enough to absorb all midweek crowds. Avoid Saturdays, sleep
late Sundays.

Skiing ranges from beginner flats to some chutes I have never tried
(yet). Anything off the front side of the top ridge is black diamond,
but the popular Cornice run is frequently winch-cat-groomed and there
is a long blue run down the backside, What you will rarely find is
light deep powder. The snow tends to be heavy and wind-blown when it
comes, but I have also seen rare waist-deep days.
Old February 11th 11, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Feb 11, 6:14*am, Richard Henry wrote:

If you are feeling adventurous ask around for the route to "Hole in
the Wall". It's a hike and hitchhike back to the main resort but IMO
worth it. Maybe you can find a picture of it and 'cess it out first?
It's just a very unique experience.

The mountain has plenty of variety. I skied it with a long time
employee so I didn't pay much attention. But we had a blast!
Old February 11th 11, 10:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:18:13 -0800 (PST), pigo
wrote:

On Feb 11, 6:14*am, Richard Henry wrote:

If you are feeling adventurous ask around for the route to "Hole in
the Wall". It's a hike and hitchhike back to the main resort but IMO
worth it. Maybe you can find a picture of it and 'cess it out first?
It's just a very unique experience.

The mountain has plenty of variety. I skied it with a long time
employee so I didn't pay much attention. But we had a blast!

Earlier in March is better. I seem to remember it being very windy at
the top last time I was there