Death by Snowboarder

Old February 25th 05, 11:16 PM
rosco

Default Death by Snowboarder

It is rumored...

Today a 27 year old skier died of internal injuries from being hit by a
boarder at the bottom of Rendezvous Bowl at Jackson Hole. Supposedly
the skier was stopped at the bottom of the bowl and was taken out by a
16 year old boarder going at excessive speed. She was helivaced to
Idaho Falls and pronounced dead during emergency surgery. The boarder
walked away from the clinic.

Old February 26th 05, 12:43 AM
Wayne Decker

Tragic. I witnessed a similar event some years ago right here between towers
3 and 4 on chair 2.

Were was the code? The family should consider "wrongful death" proceedings.
This has to stop.

--
I ski, therefore I am

Old February 26th 05, 05:01 PM
Jim Strohm

Wayne Decker wrote:
Tragic. I witnessed a similar event some years ago right here between towers
3 and 4 on chair 2.

Were was the code? The family should consider "wrongful death" proceedings.

Actually, state of Wyoming should file manslaughter charges.
Old February 26th 05, 11:22 PM
rosco

Wayne Decker wrote:

Tragic. I witnessed a similar event some years ago right here between towers
3 and 4 on chair 2.

Were was the code? The family should consider "wrongful death" proceedings.
This has to stop.

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast
conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

RAC

Old February 27th 05, 03:49 AM
Jim Strohm

rosco wrote:

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast
conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

Hmm, prevention is probably preferable to body recovery.

Has any ski hill ever considered taking a proactive approach to safety
training, like exchanging attendance at a 20-minute safety lecture at 8
am for a $5 discount coupon on that day's lift ticket?

I mean, we can keep slamming 16-year-old natural born snowboard-riding
killers into jail until hell freezes over, but it won't bring back one
single ****ing dead victim.

This should not be an observation limited to the ken of the few
rocket-science practicioners on this NG.

And at last count there were about 20 of us.
Old February 27th 05, 05:55 PM
thinnmann

When I read this I thought of a friend who was at JH with his family
with 2 daughters. I emailed him. Here was his response:

"I saw the crowd around this girl... it wasn't on Rendezvous but below
it on a 'convergence area' where lots of people were funneling to get
to lift... it's not that narrow but definitely not a good place for
'anyone' to be steaming down too fast... the boarder obviously
clobbered this girl... you've seen it... they are rediculous... I don't
know if she died for real but I could believe it since there were about
6 ski patrolers around her and a big crowd... it looked bad..."

Old February 27th 05, 11:52 PM

On 2/27/2005 12:55 PM, thinnmann wrote:
When I read this I thought of a friend who was at JH with his family
with 2 daughters. I emailed him. Here was his response:

"I saw the crowd around this girl... it wasn't on Rendezvous but below
it on a 'convergence area' where lots of people were funneling to get
to lift... it's not that narrow but definitely not a good place for
'anyone' to be steaming down too fast... the boarder obviously
clobbered this girl... you've seen it... they are rediculous... I don't
know if she died for real but I could believe it since there were about
6 ski patrolers around her and a big crowd... it looked bad..."

Unfortunately, JH does not have ski out areas...
Old February 28th 05, 12:35 AM
Mary Malmros

Jim Strohm wrote:

rosco wrote:

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast

conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

Hmm, prevention is probably preferable to body recovery.

Has any ski hill ever considered taking a proactive approach to safety
training, like exchanging attendance at a 20-minute safety lecture at 8
am for a $5 discount coupon on that day's lift ticket?

In a fashion, yes. At Stratton, people are required to sit through a
safety video before they can enter the terrain park. Not sure how
enforcement is done, but from what I've heard, they've got a yurt right
there so people can't argue that it's inconvenient. I have no data on
whether this policy has coincided with a decrease in injuries or
accidents, but that information might be out there somehow.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 28th 05, 02:33 AM
TrueWest

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:16:26 -0700, rosco
wrote:

It is rumored...

Link to recognized source please...
sounds like rsa rumor.
Old February 28th 05, 04:41 AM
rosco

Jim Strohm wrote:

rosco wrote:

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast

conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

Hmm, prevention is probably preferable to body recovery.

Has any ski hill ever considered taking a proactive approach to safety
training, like exchanging attendance at a 20-minute safety lecture at 8
am for a $5 discount coupon on that day's lift ticket?

I mean, we can keep slamming 16-year-old natural born snowboard-riding
killers into jail until hell freezes over, but it won't bring back one
single ****ing dead victim.

This should not be an observation limited to the ken of the few
rocket-science practicioners on this NG.

And at last count there were about 20 of us.

I'm with you on the proactive approach. Death on the hill by heart
attack or natural selection is acceptable but getting mugged is not part
of the deal. I was on some hard & fast blue groomers today and was
scared to death of getting blind-sided. I'm not used to skiing looking
behind me. Ski patrol has my support on this one.

Very creative idea, that about the safety lecture. And the target
market of this idea is most likely very appropriate. Now if the risk
managers and insurance companies would step off the straight and narrow
and take a chance, it could happen (HA!).

RAC