Swede Wins Paris-Roubaix!!!

Old April 11th 04, 04:01 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Swede Wins Paris-Roubaix!!!

Paris-Roubaix, the World's Greatest One Day Bike Race, the World's
Greatest Classic on par or perhaps even better, if that is possible,
than the Swedish Vasaloppet in skiing, also know as the "Hell of the
North", was won by the great Swede, Magnus Backstedt! Yes, that might
have been the longest sentence I've ever written. Some might say it
should have been several sentences... Anyway, this is the greatest
Victory by a Scandinavian in the history of bicycle racing. In the
process of his win, he beat legends like Johan Museeuw and Peter Van
Petegem. He also beat many other excellent racers like George Hincapie
of the U.S. Postal team. Backstedt is built for the one day classics.
He has a lot of power and good sprinting speed. Go Sverge!!! Hey Jane
and Thomas, does he ski?

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Old April 11th 04, 07:02 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:54:24 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

If you consider Denmark part of Scandavia (which many people do),
there have been a few equally great wins (Tour of Flanders and
Liege-Bastogne-Liege off the top of my head) plus at least one Tour de
France.

I forgot a Tour of Italy win for by a Swede also.

JT
Old April 11th 04, 07:17 PM
Terje Mathisen

Jay Tegeder wrote:

Paris-Roubaix, the World's Greatest One Day Bike Race, the World's
Greatest Classic on par or perhaps even better, if that is possible,
than the Swedish Vasaloppet in skiing, also know as the "Hell of the
North", was won by the great Swede, Magnus Backstedt! Yes, that might
have been the longest sentence I've ever written. Some might say it
should have been several sentences... Anyway, this is the greatest
Victory by a Scandinavian in the history of bicycle racing. In the

Don't you think at least some danes might argue that The Tour is even
bigger?

Terje

--
-
Old April 11th 04, 09:38 PM
Marsh Jones

Backstedt rode a great race and pulled out a great win. Peter Van
Petegem proved to be a *very* class act with his finish with Museeuw,
who flatted a couple of Ks from the finish and still finished strong.
Hincaipie, had yet another top 10. And no rain. A good day on the Pave.

Marsh Jones

Old April 12th 04, 12:24 AM
Jay Tegeder

Okay, so it's not the greatest win by a Scandinavian in bicycle racing
history... But it's still pretty cool. Anyway, JFT, this is a skiing
newsgroup... No one is supposed to be so knowledgeable (sp) in bike
racing on this newsgroup so I should have gotten away with that
statement... I forgot you know your bike racing.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote in message . ..
On 11 Apr 2004 09:01:44 -0700, (Jay Tegeder)
wrote:

Paris-Roubaix, the World's Greatest One Day Bike Race, the World's
Greatest Classic on par or perhaps even better, if that is possible,
than the Swedish Vasaloppet in skiing, also know as the "Hell of the
North", was won by the great Swede, Magnus Backstedt! Yes, that might
. Anyway, this is the greatest
Victory by a Scandinavian in the
history of bicycle racing.

If you consider Denmark part of Scandavia (which many people do),
there have been a few equally great wins (Tour of Flanders and
Liege-Bastogne-Liege off the top of my head) plus at least one Tour de
France.

He has a lot of power and good sprinting speed. Go Sverge!!! Hey Jane
and Thomas, does he ski?

Alpine quite a bit. I don't know about cross-country.

JT

Old April 14th 04, 10:16 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Jay Tegeder wrote:

Victory by a Scandinavian in the history of bicycle racing. In the
process of his win, he beat legends like Johan Museeuw and Peter Van
Petegem. He also beat many other excellent racers like George Hincapie
of the U.S. Postal team. Backstedt is built for the one day classics.
He has a lot of power and good sprinting speed. Go Sverge!!! Hey Jane
and Thomas, does he ski?

Hopefully it won't sound as stupid excuse but Museeuw and Van Petegem
had really bad luck. I was hoping Museeuw would win since it was his
second last race race. Museeuw got punctured about 4 or 5km before
finish
and Van Petegem got punctered around 15km before finish, so they
didn't have chance. If Museeuw would make it till finish with that
group they wouldn't have slightest chances against him. Sprint was
more joke then some tactical sprinting and Backstedt had more power
then anyone else. But as I said Museeuw with his experiences would
make fun out of all 4 others Considering Van Petegem wouldn't
be there
But that's sport. You have good luck sometimes and back luck other
times.
--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing
Old April 21st 04, 06:31 PM
Tomas Bystrom

In article , Jay Tegeder wrote:
Hey Jane and Thomas, does he ski?

Not at any recognisable level - he has lived in Luxemburg for a number
of years.
However, his teammate Marcus Ljungqvist said he would seriously consider
a XC career if he didn't get a pro cycling contract for this season.

/Tomas

--
Caps and foobar are normally not parts of my address.