OnTopic: Arapahoe basin visual snow report 29-May-04

Old May 30th 04, 05:02 AM
Sam Seiber

Default OnTopic: Arapahoe basin visual snow report 29-May-04

Fellow RSA'ers, if you want to see what A-Basin (Colorado) looked like
on 29-May, here ya go:
http://www.iskico.com/abasin040529/abasin.html

They claim their closing day to be 15-Jun, but I am willing to
bet that it will be a few days short of that.

To you RSA'ers on the bottom of this fine planet, us on the
top would love to hear your ski reports over "our" summer.
So, you Kiwis & Ozzies, please tell us about your fine
turns down south.

Ant, where are you? I do miss your reports. Even if they are
from the eastern part of the USA.

My season is done. I have 5 months to wait for my beloved Loveland
to make snow & open (thanks to a few Kiwis who do make it so very
well).
I have already purchaced my season passes for A-Basin & Loveland.
Now, I just have to wait.

To my RSA friends, thanks.

Sam Seiber
Denver
Old May 30th 04, 04:03 PM
snoig

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
[...]

And there's at least 3" to 5" new this morning. Today should be a good day
to get some freshies.

snoig

Old May 31st 04, 12:40 PM
ant

"Sam Seiber" wrote in message
To you RSA'ers on the bottom of this fine planet, us on the

top would love to hear your ski reports over "our" summer.
So, you Kiwis & Ozzies, please tell us about your fine
turns down south.

Hiya. No turns yet, although we have had some promising little dustings of
snow which as always has skiiers in proxysms of joy and hope.

Ant, where are you? I do miss your reports. Even if they are
from the eastern part of the USA.

It was very cold there this year, did anyone mention? I damaged my fingers.
I still can't hold hot things without a lot of pain (like cooked potatoes).
Vermont was fun, the beer was good, and apparently begging letters from the
John Kerry for President campaign are still turning up at my old address. I
would have given some money but apparently it's illegal.

My season is done. I have 5 months to wait for my beloved Loveland
to make snow & open (thanks to a few Kiwis who do make it so very
well).

How is the A-Basin snowmaking experiment going? has it changed things, or
improved them? Read about a very unfortunate death there last week.

ant

___
Remove au to reply

Old May 31st 04, 04:45 PM
snoig

"ant" wrote in message
How is the A-Basin snowmaking experiment going? has it changed things, or
improved them? Read about a very unfortunate death there last week.

ant

They did mention it in the Summit Daily News article this week.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L67A21078

They still have two trails open on the bottom half of the mountian because
of the snowmaking. Still, it's going fast although it's been pretty cold
the last couple of days. It's supposed to break into the 70s by Wednesday.
That should make things start melting down pretty fast. On the plus side,
most of the 4WD trails are clear pretty far up so you can drive to lots of
places. There's still plenty of skiing left.

snoig

Old June 1st 04, 03:59 AM
ant

"snoig" wrote in message

They did mention it in the Summit Daily News article this week.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L67A21078

I missed that one. I read the Summit Daily News most weeks...I love the
"Summit Up" column. I used to scuttle out of my room in the Mountain House
carpark every morning and cross the road as there was a little stand where
they put SDN daily. Sometimes I wasn't fast enough though, and the people in
the condo complex had got the lot.

They still have two trails open on the bottom half of the mountian because
of the snowmaking. Still, it's going fast although it's been pretty cold
the last couple of days. It's supposed to break into the 70s by

Wednesday.
That should make things start melting down pretty fast. On the plus side,
most of the 4WD trails are clear pretty far up so you can drive to lots of
places. There's still plenty of skiing left.

I heard it was a pretty variable season in the Colorado rockies.
we are desperately watching the approaching systems right now. We want snow
AND rain. The drought here is making "worst ever" records, so even though we
usually never want to hear the R-word come winter, this year we are a bit
torn. A large front is approaching the south east right now, but whether we
get much precipitation remains to be seen.
The resorts are blowing snow as opening weekend is looming close.

ant

Old June 1st 04, 04:13 AM
snoig

"ant" wrote in message

I heard it was a pretty variable season in the Colorado rockies.
we are desperately watching the approaching systems right now. We want

snow
AND rain. The drought here is making "worst ever" records, so even though

we
usually never want to hear the R-word come winter, this year we are a bit
torn. A large front is approaching the south east right now, but whether

we
get much precipitation remains to be seen.
The resorts are blowing snow as opening weekend is looming close.

ant

Yep, I think it's in the top 1 or 2 worst seasons in the 17 years I've been
here. I've only got in about 30 days so far but there's still plenty of
snow up high so I'm sure I'll get in quite a few more before August and it
really starts drying out.

snoig

Old June 1st 04, 04:25 AM
ant

"snoig" wrote in message
Yep, I think it's in the top 1 or 2 worst seasons in the 17 years I've

been
here.

Well you can't blame me this time. I think 2002 must have been worse though.

I've only got in about 30 days so far but there's still plenty of
snow up high so I'm sure I'll get in quite a few more before August and it
really starts drying out.

Bummer.

ant

Old June 2nd 04, 06:04 PM
uglymoney

On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:02:22 -0600, Sam Seiber
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the photos Sam. I took a look at them a couple of days
ago, and I was actually suprised by how good that it looks up there!
I had my wisdom teeth out last week and the pain has been unbearable
(dry sockets). Typing even hurt. Getting better now. My eyes are
uncrossing.

Anyway, I purchased my season pass for the Corps of Engineers boat
ramp down the way. Actually good at any Corps boat ramp anywhere in
the country for unlimited skiing, free! So long as my boat keeps
running, and I manage to keep it full of $1.95 unleaded. A friend
bought a shiny new pontoon boat complete with a grill and built in keg
fridge, so the summer is looking fabulous.

The rivers are flooding around here, with more rain than we have ever
had in the month of May, and it did not even start raining till May
15.

Hoping for a hot dry summer here... 860 miles away from the top of
A-Basin.

nate
Iowa
Old June 3rd 04, 04:01 PM
Sam Seiber

uglymoney wrote:
Thanks for the photos Sam. I took a look at them a couple of days
ago, and I was actually suprised by how good that it looks up there!
I had my wisdom teeth out last week and the pain has been unbearable
(dry sockets). Typing even hurt. Getting better now. My eyes are
uncrossing.

Getting the pictures was part of my plans for the day. I think it was
BW that was toying with the idea of coming out last weekend, if it was
going to be decent. As I understand it, BW made other plans. Just
wanted the world to know what was to be had last weekend.

Hoping for a hot dry summer here... 860 miles away from the top of
A-Basin.

OK, deal, you keep the hot dry summer. I am looking more for a cool
one. At the very least a summer that includes some rain. I am not
good with heat. I like my world a bit cooler. That may explain my
love for Loveland. Plenty cool there.

Sam