Clean carve

Old December 25th 03, 09:44 PM
Jiyang Chen

Default Clean carve

How do you make the transition from turn to turn into a cleaner carve? I
always somehow pivot my foot in the beginning during weight shifts, never a
smooth transition.

Old December 25th 03, 10:18 PM
klaus

Jiyang Chen wrote:
How do you make the transition from turn to turn into a cleaner carve? I
always somehow pivot my foot in the beginning during weight shifts, never a
smooth transition.

Don't unweight so much if you're trying to carve. Smooth pressure all
the way. Roll your knee and body. If you're pivoting your foot (I
assume just one, inside one), you 're not keeping your weight even
enough through the turn or right/left, and you don't have your skis on
edge enough. But wtf do I know, I can't parallel.

IANASI, get a lesson.

-klaus

Old December 26th 03, 02:33 AM
pigo

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
How do you make the transition from turn to turn into a cleaner carve? I
always somehow pivot my foot in the beginning during weight shifts, never

smooth transition.

Try that early weight change thing. Before shaped skis that's how I smoothed
out the transition. You don't really unweight as much as you *change* the
weight from your downhill ski to what is still (for a short time) your
uphill ski. Then you steer and edge it through the turn.

pigo

Old December 26th 03, 09:50 AM
Kneale Brownson

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message ...
How do you make the transition from turn to turn into a cleaner carve? I
always somehow pivot my foot in the beginning during weight shifts, never a
smooth transition.

The key is passing through a point of neutral in which your weight is
equal on your skis, your body is square with your skis and your skis
are flat on the surface you're skiing. This very instantaneous moment
occurs in the transition between turns. The new turn then begins with
the new inside ski starting to roll onto its outside (little toe)
edge. I try to focus on rolling up the arch of the new inside foot.
As the turn progresses and the weight gradually shifts to the new
outside foot, I think about rolling up the little toe side of the
outside foot to assure edging of that ski.