Differences between bindings?

Old April 1st 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

Default Differences between bindings?

After my first post, another question:

what are the opinions about the differences between bindings? I still use
my Stuf Custom Pro I bought with my first board. I cannot really find a
problem with them, but some people say that there are really better
bindings. One guy recommended me bindings from "Rome".

What's your opinion about bindings? Is it enough if they fit and are
stiff enough or is there more subtle difference between them? How to
select a proper pair?

Bas.
Old April 2nd 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 23:21:31 GMT, Bas Mevissen
allegedly wrote:

What's your opinion about bindings?

I've not seen a pair of those before, so cannot comment.

Is it enough if they fit and are
stiff enough or is there more subtle difference between them? How to
select a proper pair?

In no particular order...

1. Fit - it has to fit the boot, and allow you to tighten it to your
requirements.
2. Comfort - it helps if the bindings don't create pinch points such that
you have to undo them every time you get to the chair. Sometimes,
particularly in Europe, you could be riding drag lifts so don't get this
luxury.
3. Weight vs durability - some bindings are very light weight, but they
may be made from weaker materials and break sooner. Others are heavier
but last longer. It's getting that compromise sorted.
4. Manufacturer/spares - if your bindings break when you're on a weeks
trip, are you going to be able to source some spare parts to fix it? Or
can you buy spare parts to take away with you.

I'm still looking for the perfect binding. :-)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old April 2nd 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:43:37 +0000, Switters wrote:

[...]

So in your opinion, you think bindings do not differ (much) in how well
they work? My guess was that there was difference in for example how
stiff they are and how that affects riding.

Bas.
Old April 2nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Apr 2, 3:15 am, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
[...]

Stiffer bindings are more responsive, allowing you to turn the board
quicker and with more powder. Overly stiff bindings can be
uncomfortable.

Old April 2nd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:00:43 -0700, lonerider wrote:

Stiffer bindings are more responsive, allowing you to turn the board
quicker and with more powder. Overly stiff bindings can be
uncomfortable.

Do you know (affordable) types that fit to a board like the Nitro Magnum?
Do you happen to know the Stuff Custom Pro?

Bas.
Old April 3rd 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Apr 2, 4:27 pm, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:00:43 -0700, lonerider wrote:
Stiffer bindings are more responsive, allowing you to turn the board
quicker and with more powder. Overly stiff bindings can be
uncomfortable.

Do you know (affordable) types that fit to a board like the Nitro Magnum?
Do you happen to know the Stuff Custom Pro?

Bas.

I'm not sure what is available in Europe (btw, a good friend of mine
just moved to Amsterdam for a few years for work, she is a little
distraught because normally she snowboards 40-50 days a season and
there are no mountains nearby, she is considering making trips to the
snowdomes and to mountains in other countries, but still). I quickly
checked Ebay.nl to see what's out there.

Salomon (France) bindings are good although I would avoid the Relay
line of bindings myself (I see them as more for freestyle). I've
"heard" Nitro (Germany) Raiden bindings are good, but I haven't tried
them nor do I know if they are cheap. I really like Nidecker (Swiss)
bindings, but they aren't cheap. Obviously Burton bindings are
everywhere - but I doubt they are cheap in Europe. I used to have the
P1s, they are too soft for freeriding in my opinion (my opinion!) but
I do like the C60 (which are very pricey normally). For Rome, I'm told
the Rome Targas are very good (but I haven't tried them).

Good luck!

Old April 3rd 07, 08:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:26:27 -0700, lonerider wrote:

I'm not sure what is available in Europe (btw, a good friend of mine
just moved to Amsterdam for a few years for work, she is a little
distraught because normally she snowboards 40-50 days a season and there
are no mountains nearby, she is considering making trips to the
snowdomes and to mountains in other countries, but still).

Yeah, esp. this year there was not much snow in Europe. So you really had
to go to the Alps for snow. But from Amsterdam, you can take a sleeper
train to Austria or Swiss for a long weekend. Is she nice? :-))

I quickly checked Ebay.nl to see what's out there.

I guess most brands are available world-wide. Only smaller manufacturers
might not cross continents.

Salomon (France) bindings are good although I would avoid the Relay line
of bindings myself (I see them as more for freestyle). I've "heard"
Nitro (Germany) Raiden bindings are good, but I haven't tried them nor
do I know if they are cheap. I really like Nidecker (Swiss) bindings,
but they aren't cheap. Obviously Burton bindings are everywhere - but I
doubt they are cheap in Europe. I used to have the P1s, they are too
soft for freeriding in my opinion (my opinion!) but I do like the C60
(which are very pricey normally). For Rome, I'm told the Rome Targas are
very good (but I haven't tried them).

Hmmm, so there is difference. But that is difficult to find out from the
websites of the manufacturers. They are all expensive here, 200 euro is
quite normal for an entry level brand binding. But snowboarding is
expensive anyway. 400 Euro for a board like the Magnum is also not cheap.
(ok, you can get them cheaper, but in a shop with a good service it is a
normal price and I go for the good service).

Is it cheaper in the US? Looking around in webshops, it looks like it is.
But does that also go for the shops near the winter sport areas?

Bas.
Old April 3rd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Apr 3, 1:58 am, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
I quickly checked Ebay.nl to see what's out there.

I guess most brands are available world-wide. Only smaller manufacturers
might not cross continents.

Ah, but some of the small manufacturers make the best stuff. Also I
meant what can you get that is cheap.

Hmmm, so there is difference. But that is difficult to find out from the
websites of the manufacturers. They are all expensive here, 200 euro is
quite normal for an entry level brand binding. But snowboarding is
expensive anyway. 400 Euro for a board like the Magnum is also not cheap.
(ok, you can get them cheaper, but in a shop with a good service it is a
normal price and I go for the good service).

Is it cheaper in the US? Looking around in webshops, it looks like it is.
But does that also go for the shops near the winter sport areas?

It cheaper in the US, partially because of the exchange rate though. I
mean the Magnum is normal price is 370 USD (276 Euro), but because of
the end of season sale, it is now selling for $280 or 200 Euro (some
places even less). Only the TOP of the line boards would really costs
something like 400 Euro. The same thing with bindings. $200 Euro (266
USD) could buy you a very nice binding... if you were to wait until
end of season, it could buy you virtually any binding on sale. Shop
near winter sports areas tend to keep their prices at non-sale levels,
but again the exchange rate will probably make it cheaper for you. If
you wait until after mid-March, there will definitely be some deals
around.

Good luck

Old April 4th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

lonerider wrote in om:
I'm not sure what is available in Europe (btw, a good friend of mine
just moved to Amsterdam for a few years for work, she is a little
distraught because normally she snowboards 40-50 days a season and
there are no mountains nearby, she is considering making trips to the
snowdomes and to mountains in other countries, but still).

The curse of snowboarders in the low countries!

Seriously: good snow is far away here. There are a few snowdomes, but the
slopes in those are always really short compared to real pistes.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 -?)