Okay to ask basic questions?

Old April 20th 04, 12:42 AM
Lisa Horton

Default Okay to ask basic questions?

Greetings all, new addict here.

I've read the FAQ and Mini FAQ, I've looked over the last few months
worth of postings. I've been doing tons of research on web sites. But
I still have a number of really basic (stupid) questions. Is this a
good place, do you all mind that sort of thing?

But I guess I have a non basic non dumb question too: How in the world
can anyone do this (alpine skiing) and not get immediately and totally
hooked? It's so fun! I have a feeling you already knew that though

Lisa
Old April 20th 04, 01:02 AM
AstroPax

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:42:03 -0700, Lisa Horton
wrote:

Greetings all, new addict here.

I've read the FAQ and Mini FAQ, I've looked over the last few months
worth of postings. I've been doing tons of research on web sites. But
I still have a number of really basic (stupid) questions. Is this a
good place, do you all mind that sort of thing?

But I guess I have a non basic non dumb question too: How in the world
can anyone do this (alpine skiing) and not get immediately and totally
hooked? It's so fun! I have a feeling you already knew that though

Lisa,

Just out of curiosity, exactly where in the world did you get "hooked"
at? Was it forced upon you, so to speak, or did you do it
voluntarily?

Also, was alpine skiing your first "snow high", or did you experiment
with a "gateway" snow/winter sport, such as sledding, tubing,
tobogganing, ice skating, etc?

BTW, this might sound funny, but are you that same Lisa Horton of the
"Lisa Horton Photography" fame?

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old April 20th 04, 01:27 AM
lal_truckee

Lisa Horton wrote:

But I guess I have a non basic non dumb question too: How in the world
can anyone do this (alpine skiing) and not get immediately and totally
hooked? It's so fun!

Wait until you learn enough to ski deep powder ...

Fire away with the questions. We all have many answers; our problem will
be to select our answers in such a way as to relate to your questions.
Some of us a better at this than others, but at least half of us will
make an effort.

Some stock answer, so you won't have to wait: Good beer. Long skis. He's
a dirtbag. He's got training heels.
Old April 20th 04, 02:12 AM
FHemmer209

wrote:

[...]

If she skis was well as she takes photos she is a very good skier.

Fred

Old April 20th 04, 02:34 AM
AstroPax

Old April 20th 04, 02:36 AM
AstroPax

wrote:

If she skis was well as she takes photos she is a very good skier.

The question is, can she ski *and* take photos?

-Astro

---

Old April 20th 04, 03:28 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Lisa Horton wrote:

Greetings all, new addict here.

I've read the FAQ and Mini FAQ, I've looked over the last few months
worth of postings. I've been doing tons of research on web sites. But
I still have a number of really basic (stupid) questions. Is this a
good place, do you all mind that sort of thing?

But I guess I have a non basic non dumb question too: How in the world
can anyone do this (alpine skiing) and not get immediately and totally
hooked? It's so fun! I have a feeling you already knew that though

Lisa

All questions are welcomed, Lisa.

It's a great sport and one you can spend a lifetime working on and
enjoying.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old April 20th 04, 04:34 PM
Lisa Horton

wrote:

Greetings all, new addict here.

I've read the FAQ and Mini FAQ, I've looked over the last few months
worth of postings. I've been doing tons of research on web sites. But
I still have a number of really basic (stupid) questions. Is this a
good place, do you all mind that sort of thing?

But I guess I have a non basic non dumb question too: How in the world
can anyone do this (alpine skiing) and not get immediately and totally
hooked? It's so fun! I have a feeling you already knew that though

Lisa,

Just out of curiosity, exactly where in the world did you get "hooked"
at? Was it forced upon you, so to speak, or did you do it
voluntarily?

Well, there is a story of course, and you may find it amusing (or not).
I did ski once, many years ago, and I do mean many. I was treated to a
lesson/rental/limited lift ticket package, and I just loved it. But I
was young and didn't have the money to pursue skiing. By the time I was
older and making good money, I'd kind of almost forgotten about it.
Last fall, a young friend started talking about going on a ski trip, but
the winter was very busy and there was no time to follow up. A few
weeks ago my partner said that I really should go and try this out,
we're not getting any younger after all. So I went, got a rental
package, lesson, etc., and absolutely loved it. And found, much to my
relief, that my middle aged body could easily handle the physical
demands and that modern ski clothing allowed me to be perfectly
comfortable in the cold. Mind you I grew up in the SF Bay Area, where
we consider anything under 50 degrees to be REALLY cold

So, while I was strongly encouraged, it was voluntary. Except the
getting hooked part, but how could I resist so much fun?!?!

Also, was alpine skiing your first "snow high", or did you experiment
with a "gateway" snow/winter sport, such as sledding, tubing,
tobogganing, ice skating, etc?

Tried ice skating once, but despite years of being an expert roller
skater, I simply cannot ice skate. Other than that, my total experience
with snow over the last 20 years (or more) was driving through flurries
once, and walking around in snow for a few minutes at roadside rest
stops.

BTW, this might sound funny, but are you that same Lisa Horton of the
"Lisa Horton Photography" fame?

Fame? Or was I framed? It is true that I am a photographer, and that
I have some degree of competency, but the thought of fame is new to me!

Just out of curiosity, how do you know of my photography, which has not
yet ever involved snow or snow sports?

Lisa
Old April 20th 04, 04:35 PM
Lisa Horton

wrote:

[...]

er, well, I've been photographing for quite a long time, and I've skied
a few days, so I think it's going to be a good while before my skiing
approaches my photography! But thank you for the compliment on my
photography, it's much appreciated.

Lisa
Old April 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Lisa Horton

wrote:

If she skis was well as she takes photos she is a very good skier.

The question is, can she ski *and* take photos?

LOL, I'm working on it!

Lisa