"Climate changes melting tourism in Swiss Alps"

Old March 15th 06, 06:29 PM

"Norm" wrote in message
news:fPZRf.144430$sa3.22021@pd7tw1no...

"pigo" wrote in message
news:E7SdnTfQ5MgDx4XZRVn-

The way most (but not all) people read the calendar, that would
mean we'd still be around for a period of time that (while an
eyeblink in geological terms) doesn't seem to quite fit with
their policies, which seem determined to End It All within the
next twenty years. Hence, the arbitrary Rapture date, not
falling on New Year's of a year ending in three zeroes.

While you're at it let's not forget who is fighting the wind
powered electrical generation project off of Hyannisport.

Yes, dear. We all know it's usually the leeebruls' fault in the
end.
Run along now.

I don't know where pigo is doing his reading...well, I have an
idea, but never mind that...but I'm reading coverage that's a
good bit more local. Based on that, my impression is that the
opposition is coming from wealthy people (IOW, those who can't
imagine themselves benefiting from a wind farm) who don't want
their view spoiled. IOW, they're privileged NIMBYs, and nothing
particularly new. If you want to try to generalize that to a
political affiliation, as I look at correlation between political
affiliation and wealth in this country, I'm seeing the money on
the right rather than on the left.

"Wealthy people" as in the Kennedy's.

It might help to clarify things if people did not lump wealthy
opportunists who happen to give themselves a label of convenience
in with those who do genuinely care about what happens to this
planet.

What I've found is that those that "genuinely care about......" is
that they care about it about as much as the Kennedy's do. But when
it comes to something that directly effects THEM there is always and
excuse.

Old March 15th 06, 06:42 PM

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:28:19 -0700, "pigo"
wrote:

"bdubya" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:22:13 -0700, "pigo"

wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

The way most (but not all) people read the calendar, that would
mean we'd still be around for a period of time that (while an
eyeblink in geological terms) doesn't seem to quite fit with
their
policies, which seem determined to End It All within the next
twenty years. Hence, the arbitrary Rapture date, not falling on
New Year's of a year ending in three zeroes.

While you're at it let's not forget who is fighting the wind
powered
electrical generation project off of Hyannisport.

Yes, dear. We all know it's usually the leeebruls' fault in the
end.
Run along now.

I can make the case that the Republicans see the need to develop
energy resources of all kinds, a position that you can disagree with.
OTH, you "leebruls" jump up and down waving your arms and try to make
the point that you want some sort of utopian, free energy supply. And
then when one turns up off of your ocean front estate you fight it
because it "ruins your view".

Yes, dear, that's exactly what I do. Demand free energy with no
impact on my ocean front estate. Quite right. Run along now, but do
take your strawmen with you, if you please.

bw

Old March 15th 06, 07:21 PM

bdubya wrote:

"pigo" wrote:

OTH, you "leebruls" jump up and down waving your arms and try to make
the point that you want some sort of utopian, free energy supply. And
then when one turns up off of your ocean front estate you fight it
because it "ruins your view".

Yes, dear, that's exactly what I do. Demand free energy with no
impact on my ocean front estate. Quite right.

I especially like the way you jump up and down and wave your arms.

It's kinda cute, ya know.

//Walt
Old March 15th 06, 07:32 PM

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:21:22 -0500, Walt
wrote:

bdubya wrote:

"pigo" wrote:

OTH, you "leebruls" jump up and down waving your arms and try to make
the point that you want some sort of utopian, free energy supply. And
then when one turns up off of your ocean front estate you fight it
because it "ruins your view".

Yes, dear, that's exactly what I do. Demand free energy with no
impact on my ocean front estate. Quite right.

I especially like the way you jump up and down and wave your arms.

It's kinda cute, ya know.

Yes, well, it's hard to attract the media's attention from that far
away, and heaven know we don't want to actually allow them past the
front gate; who knows what sort of hoi polloi would trail along with
them? Better to keep them down by the, er, _public_ access (eww) and
wave my arms a bit, don't you know.

bw
Old March 15th 06, 08:43 PM

bdubya wrote:
"pigo" wrote:

OTH, you "leebruls" jump up and down waving your arms and try to make
the point that you want some sort of utopian, free energy supply. And
then when one turns up off of your ocean front estate you fight it
because it "ruins your view".

Yes, dear, that's exactly what I do. Demand free energy with no
impact on my ocean front estate. Quite right.

I especially like the way you jump up and down and wave your arms.

It's kinda cute, ya know.

Yes, well, it's hard to attract the media's attention from that far
away,

Letsee.... you're in Chicago and the ocean front real estate is, well,
not very near Chicago.

Sounds like you need to jump higher and wave more vigorously.

//Walt
Old March 15th 06, 08:54 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

If you want to try to generalize
that to a political affiliation, as I look at correlation between
political affiliation and wealth in this country, I'm seeing the money
on the right rather than on the left.

Hollywood excepted, of course.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 15th 06, 10:56 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

If you want to try to generalize that to a political affiliation, as I
look at correlation between political affiliation and wealth in this
country, I'm seeing the money on the right rather than on the left.

Hollywood excepted, of course.

How could one small geographic area _possibly_ be interpreted as a
generalization of the whole country? Zero points, try again.

Old March 15th 06, 11:24 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

If you want to try to generalize that to a political affiliation, as I
look at correlation between political affiliation and wealth in this
country, I'm seeing the money on the right rather than on the left.

Hollywood excepted, of course.

How could one small geographic area _possibly_ be interpreted as a
generalization of the whole country? Zero points, try again.

They're little, but they're loud. I bet you haven't a clue what color rose
petals GWB insists be placed in any toilet he uses. Being able to act or
sing automatically gives extra pundit-points. I thought everybody knew that.
Sometimes just being attractive does the trick.

I rest my case.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 15th 06, 11:32 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

If you want to try to generalize that to a political affiliation, as
I look at correlation between political affiliation and wealth in
this country, I'm seeing the money on the right rather than on the
left.

Hollywood excepted, of course.

How could one small geographic area _possibly_ be interpreted as a
generalization of the whole country? Zero points, try again.

They're little, but they're loud.

So's Texas, yee haw.

It seems to me that in recent years, working in the entertainment
industry has automatically reduced one's credibility in most people's
eyes. The kneejerk "goddamn librul queer pinko commie actor entertainer
FREAKS!" stereotype is one that so many in this country have swallowed,
hook line and sinker.

Old March 16th 06, 12:18 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

If you want to try to generalize that to a political affiliation, as
I look at correlation between political affiliation and wealth in
this country, I'm seeing the money on the right rather than on the
left.

Hollywood excepted, of course.

How could one small geographic area _possibly_ be interpreted as a
generalization of the whole country? Zero points, try again.

They're little, but they're loud.

So's Texas, yee haw.

It seems to me that in recent years, working in the entertainment
industry has automatically reduced one's credibility in most people's
eyes. The kneejerk "goddamn librul queer pinko commie actor entertainer
FREAKS!" stereotype is one that so many in this country have swallowed,
hook line and sinker.

A guy known as Super Painter used to work in my husband's office doing --
you guessed it -- painting and handyman work. He also did bit parts in
movies -- several times in Mission Impossible. He said the reason that so
many actors play characters with the same first names was so that they could
remember them.

Granted, there are quite a few who can actually think, but the only reason
anyone pays any attention to their political ideas is that they're
celebrities. I might be willing to grant a few more pundit-points to members
of, say, the American Physical Society, but people like that[1] don't
normally make the news when they say anything, much less give a political
opinion.

First test: What was the name of the last sub-atomic particle
discovered/invented?

Second test: What did Alec Baldwin say he would do if GWB was elected?

--
Cheers, Bev
Red ship crashes into blue ship - sailors marooned.

[1] No, I don't want to hear about the Oppenheimers. Anything silly that
one of them did was wiped out by the work that the other one did at the
Exploratorium.