Feedback please

Old March 16th 06, 03:38 PM

Default Feedback please

I asked for feedback in a different forum about my son's skiing and got
some very good information. I wonder if you guys can add some additional
information. The consensus so far is that the boots are too big. I'm
going to have them checked tonight when I bring them back from the mountain.

Here is the video.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=31

And in slow motion.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=33
--
--------
Upload Photos, Videos, Music, etc.
Old March 16th 06, 04:04 PM

ojm wrote:
I asked for feedback in a different forum about my son's skiing and
got some very good information. I wonder if you guys can add some
additional information. The consensus so far is that the boots are
too big. I'm going to have them checked tonight when I bring them back
from the
mountain.
Here is the video.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=31

And in slow motion.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=33

How old is he?

Chris *:-)

Old March 16th 06, 04:28 PM

MoonMan wrote:
ojm wrote:
I asked for feedback in a different forum about my son's skiing and
got some very good information. I wonder if you guys can add some
additional information. The consensus so far is that the boots are
too big. I'm going to have them checked tonight when I bring them back
from the
mountain.
Here is the video.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=31

And in slow motion.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=33

How old is he?

Chris *:-)

He's 9. I can't remember the boot size in mm and they are up on the
mountain. The was a problem originally with the boots that there was not
enough lean forward see
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=42 but that
was taken cared of. The video is after that was fixed.

The skies are 120mm for reference.

--
--------
Old March 16th 06, 04:37 PM

ojm wrote:

I asked for feedback in a different forum about my son's skiing and got
some very good information. I wonder if you guys can add some additional
information. The consensus so far is that the boots are too big. I'm
going to have them checked tonight when I bring them back from the
mountain.

Here is the video.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=31

And in slow motion.
http://ski.topeverything.com/Default...wcontent&ID=33

Look at his butt - it's sticking way out. Probably somebody told him to
lean forward, and he's trying to do it by bending at the waist, which
doesn't move the center of gravity forward it just redistributes things.
All his weight is on the tails of the skis, the tips are practically
coming up off the snow. He needs to get his pelvis forward and pressure
the tips of the skis. Then the turns should become more fluid and less
labored.

Probably a group lesson or two with similarly abled nine year olds would
help.

Anyway that's my $.02. I'm not an instructor, and god help the person
who ever posts video of me skiing on the internet. I'll murderalize the
guy.

//Walt

Old March 16th 06, 04:43 PM

"ojm" wrote in message
om...
I asked for feedback in a different forum about my son's skiing and got
some very good information. I wonder if you guys can add some additional
information. The consensus so far is that the boots are too big. I'm going
to have them checked tonight when I bring them back from the mountain.

As far as I can see there are two problems, none related to boots.

Firstly, your son is constantly too much in backseat as can be clearly seen
by watching his skis when he hits those small bumps. It's usual that
children, due to their different anatomy than adults, adopt a backseat-like
stance, but this one is off a bit too much. You have correctly learned him
to keep his hands well ahead, but the ducked stance has allowed him to move
his hips even more back.

Secondly, he has too much weight on his upper ski which leads to unsuficient
edging and uncontrolled skidding.

Probably the real source of problems is that your son is scared of too steep
slopes for his ability/confidence level. Let him practice on more gentle
runs, where without pressure of steepness he can build his confidence and
learn to better control his skis. Once he feels comfortable there, go back
to steeper slopes.

Old March 16th 06, 04:44 PM

Yeah, good comments all....
Still skis like a first 10 day'er who's picking it up OK. Just needs
more time.
Kids don't pick up on subtle style and body placment, so get him to
ski with other kids and he'll pick up the right techniques.
Lessons won't hurt, but probably won't help at his age and
experience.
You have to try to remember your skiing ability at the same number of
days, and consider whether he's doing well or NOT.........

Old March 16th 06, 04:50 PM

dizzy wrote:
[...]

It is not a confidence thing. He has taken a total of 18 group lesson (3
classes, 6 lessons each.) Last year 12, this year 6 lessons. He can ski
just about anything on the mountain without being afraid. The last class
he was in was an advance class with a certified instructor who's been
teaching for 40 years. What the instructor mainly said is that he needs
to ski more upright. However, I'm not sure how to help him do that. BTW,
when it was time to go to double blacks my son was the first one to say
yes. They did go to double blacks not to learn any techniques, but just
for fun.

--
--------
Old March 16th 06, 04:51 PM

Walt wrote:
ojm wrote:

Probably a group lesson or two with similarly abled nine year olds would
help.

Anyway that's my $.02. I'm not an instructor, and god help the person
who ever posts video of me skiing on the internet. I'll murderalize the
guy.

//Walt

Walk look at my response below for the number of lessons he has taken
and his confidence level. I'm thinking of doing a private lesson.

--
--------
Old March 16th 06, 04:52 PM

LeeD wrote:
Yeah, good comments all....
Still skis like a first 10 day'er who's picking it up OK. Just needs
more time.
Kids don't pick up on subtle style and body placment, so get him to
ski with other kids and he'll pick up the right techniques.
Lessons won't hurt, but probably won't help at his age and
experience.
You have to try to remember your skiing ability at the same number of
days, and consider whether he's doing well or NOT.........

BTW, he has skied close to 40 times this year and probably 40 or so
times last year.

--
--------
Old March 16th 06, 04:58 PM

Probably the real source of problems is that your son is scared of too steep
slopes for his ability/confidence level.

That is exactly what I was going to say. Eldo has plenty of steep
terrain to scare a kid right into their comfort zone (i.e. the back
seat, on the tails, slight wedge, skidding and using his upper body to
steer). I see it all the time.

Take him to the greens. Focus on stance and balance. Show him on the
flats how to press his shins into the front of his boots without
bending over at the waist. On the steeper stuff, have him do some fall
line traverses while focussing on stance and pressuring the DH ski.
Get him to get his knees and ankles flexed - get him to press his shins
into the front of those boots, talk about the gas pedal in his DH boot
and get him to press down on it while he's making his turns. Get him
forward, but not hunched over forward.

Progress from very easy terrain to the steeper stuff. If he gets it on
the easy stuff and then resorts to his bad habbits on the steep stuff,
get him off the steep stuff unless you do traverses or side slipping
drills there. He would benefit greatly from doing progression drills.

If he gets frustrated, take him to do some jumps and buy him a bag of
skittles, that'll cheer him up.

Good luck.
--
Marty