Off Piste Holidays

Old June 29th 04, 11:34 AM
Neil Walker

Default Off Piste Holidays

For those that are still watching for posts I need some assistance.

My regular skiing partners may not be able to ski with me this coming year,
so I am exploring the possibility of going on my own and I would like to do
a whole week Off piste. I've done a trawl through the net but have not
really come up with many possibilities. Ski Club springs to mind but they
have no details posted and I've come across Mountain Tracks that may meet my
requirements.
But does anyone know of or have any practical experience of such holidays.
I'm not much bothered if they are in Europe or the States, but doing a whole
week off piste really appeals.

Any comment / suggestions will be greatly received.

Regards
Neil.

Old June 29th 04, 08:31 PM
Johannes

Hi Neil

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:34:08 +0100, "Neil Walker"
wrote:

My regular skiing partners may not be able to ski with me this coming year,
so I am exploring the possibility of going on my own and I would like to do
a whole week Off piste. I've done a trawl through the net but have not
really come up with many possibilities. Ski Club springs to mind but they
have no details posted and I've come across Mountain Tracks that may meet my
requirements.
But does anyone know of or have any practical experience of such holidays.
I'm not much bothered if they are in Europe or the States, but doing a whole
week off piste really appeals.

Any comment / suggestions will be greatly received.

I know only this.
http://www.bergschule-uri.ch/pages/english/offers.php4
http://www.alpine-sportschule.ch/pages/startseite.html (only german)
But i'm shure if you look at the Ski-Resorts home page, you found more

Johannes

Old June 29th 04, 09:08 PM
David Off

Neil Walker wrote:

But does anyone know of or have any practical experience of such holidays.
I'm not much bothered if they are in Europe or the States, but doing a whole
week off piste really appeals.

The Ski Club off-piste holidays are UIAGM guide lead and seem to be
pretty good and would certainly be worth considering. Otherwise contact
Alpine Experience in Val d'Isère who can sort you out if you fancy Val.

http://www.alpineexperience.com

Be wary about backcountry skiing in Canada which is not particuarly well
regulated.

David
Old June 29th 04, 10:13 PM
Andy Petersen

Hi

La Grave is supposed to be the off-piste capital of the world so you could
search for something there...

Andy

Old June 30th 04, 08:05 AM
Marco Cattaneo

Some years ago (1996?) I went on an off-piste holiday to Klosters/Davos
organised by Powder Byrne. It was a standard chalet holiday, with the
difference that there was a well known Swiss ski guide who would pick us up
at the chalet each morning and take care of us all day.

The typical day was to take a lift up to some high point first thing in the
morning, hike to some ridge, then ski all the way down to the main valley
where we would find a train or a PostBus (this is Switzerland!) to take us
to some other area in the afternoon. This included video sessions with
debriefing in the chalet in the evenings. In 5 days we never skied the same
slope twice, found plenty of fresh powder even though it was warm and hadn't
snowed recently, and rarely saw a piste.

If you are looking for something organised from beginning to end, and
accessible to an advanced piste skier with little off-piste experience, then
I would strongly recommend this if it still exists.

Old June 30th 04, 09:28 PM
Ace

wrote:
\But does anyone know of or have any practical experience of such
holidays.
I'm not much bothered if they are in Europe or the States, but doing a whole
week off piste really appeals.

Any comment / suggestions will be greatly received.

Well I've never lead, or been on, one of the Ski Club's off-piste
holidays, but I know enough about who runs them to be able to
whole-heartedly recommend them. You can't really go far wrong with
them. See website for details.

But I'd also recommend Phil Smith & co, www.improveyourskiing.com.
I've done a couple of their of-piste weeks, the latest in Gressonay
this March, and can't speak too highly of them. They give a mix of
instruction and guiding, using only top instructors and guides (i.e.
the guides they use are also top-flight skiers) and make for a very
enjoyable experience, whatever your skiing level.

If you're booking, please mention my recommendation ( name's in the
email addy in my sig) - it won't get you a bigger discount (although
Ski Club members _do_ get one) and I won't get anything for it, but
I'd appreciate the kudos, IYSWIM :-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old July 1st 04, 11:22 AM
Neil Walker

wrote:
[...]

All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Ski Club.

Ace, Many thanks, looks like these two fit the bill, although Mountain
Tracks seems ok as well. I'll have plenty to choose from. Do you know how
easily they accomodate single skiers?, as I don't really want to pay a huge
supplement (i've yet to mention it to the wife what I'm planning - She
doesn't ski.).

Old July 1st 04, 11:51 AM
Ace

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:22:40 +0100, "Neil Walker"
wrote:

snip

Ace, Many thanks, looks like these two fit the bill, although Mountain
Tracks seems ok as well. I'll have plenty to choose from. Do you know how
easily they accomodate single skiers?, as I don't really want to pay a huge
supplement (i've yet to mention it to the wife what I'm planning - She
doesn't ski.).

If you're happy to share with a stranger there will be no problem.
There tend to be quite a few singles on these trips. If you prefer,
there's always the single supplement option, but most people find
sharing OK and can add to the experience.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old July 1st 04, 06:51 PM
Philip John Simms

HI,
I was told last week that the Ski Club "Fresh Tracks" Brochure will be out
in September