"Pure" AT Binding Feedback?

Old November 5th 05, 10:32 PM
Jon

Default "Pure" AT Binding Feedback?

I know this has been asked before, but thought it'd be worth checking
if anyone has had firsthand experience with this binding.

I'm particularly interested in the ergonomics--how touring comfort
compares with the Naxo and the Dynafit...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old November 7th 05, 07:03 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old November 7th 05, 07:22 PM
Jon

Booker:

Thanks a lot, that helps.

What I plan to do is mostly doing yo-yo style skiing in the Northeast
(at abondoned downhill areas, old CCC trails, etc.). Your comments tip
the balance toward the Pure, as I really want something that feels as
natural as possible while climbing and doing approaches. (Plus, I get
a deal on Pure, but not the others, so that helps...)

My only substantial experience on rando set-ups is with the Naxo, and I
kind of liked it--but of course I was mostly following a guide's skin
track. But my intuition tells me the Pure will be better, somewhat
based on the massive improvement in nordic racing gear we all
experienced when the pivot points of the boots were moved back a little
bit.

Best wishes,

Jon

Old November 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old November 8th 05, 05:32 PM
klaus

Booker C. Bense bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Nov.07.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote:

I have heard some reports of first season Pure's being breakable.

First season anything seems to be breakable.

-klaus

Old November 9th 05, 09:16 AM
Florian Anwander

Hi klaus

I have heard some reports of first season Pure's being breakable.

First season anything seems to be breakable.

What I know from a guy from a well know alpine touring shop the reported
situations were such, where any other binding would break too (crashing
into rocks, edges of the skis ripped out by the same accident....).

Florian
Old November 9th 05, 12:57 PM
Jon

For what it's worth, I just order some directly from Garmont, and they
said they now ship them with extra toe "pieces" that are beefier than
the stock ones, since whatever this piece exactly is, it was seen as a
bit prone to breaking. Lou Dawson's site recommends against buying
pre-2004/2005 models, as he thinks they're way inferior. The Garmont
guy says 2006 hasn't changed at all (except that Garmont USA throws in
the extra plastic pieces for you...)

Jon

Old November 9th 05, 02:22 PM
Uli Hausmann

Florian Anwander schrieb:

What I know from a guy from a well know alpine touring shop the reported
situations were such, where any other binding would break too (crashing
into rocks, edges of the skis ripped out by the same accident....).

Yep, but the first generation Pure seems to have a week point in the
heel fixing (some play - if this is the correct term (?) )

Greetings,

Uli
Old November 14th 05, 11:05 PM
davidof

Uli Hausmann wrote:
Florian Anwander schrieb:

What I know from a guy from a well know alpine touring shop the
reported situations were such, where any other binding would break too
(crashing into rocks, edges of the skis ripped out by the same
accident....).

Yep, but the first generation Pure seems to have a week point in the
heel fixing (some play - if this is the correct term (?) )

The front casting was (amongst other things) also a weak point and could
break. It was beefed up in 2005 and there are now 3... or is it 4
different Pures for 2006. Personally I wouldn't buy any Alpine Touring
gear until it has done a season unless I had to.
Old November 26th 05, 05:24 PM

Just for the record:

Skied last 2 days with the Pure and think they're great. The pivot
point makes a big difference compared with other bindings I've tried
that pivot in front of the boot. Besides feeling more ergo, it's
easier to handle the ski when doing things like switchbacks, etc.