new boots

Old February 9th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Default new boots

wow this board is quiet this year! have had some good riding
here in VT the past 3 weeks, just hope it stays cold and
we can finally get some real dumps instead of dancing for 3"!

Anyways... my longtime Northwave Legends are shot.. tried on a
pair of their latest and they don't feel right at all.. I think
they merged with another company and things have changed for
the worse.

Anyone done the drill lately? I go for fairly stiff, at least
the upper part and a small footprint. No Herman Munster boots
for me! Just trying to get a feel for who's making decent
stuff and who is junk.

Graci

Old February 9th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
René Bedbur

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

Anyone done the drill lately? I go for fairly stiff, at least
the upper part and a small footprint.

HI!

Try the Burton Ion. If you like it stiffer try the Driver X.
I got the Ion and like it very much.

Bye
Old February 9th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Champ

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:01:37 +0100, René Bedbur
wrote:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

Anyone done the drill lately? I go for fairly stiff, at least
the upper part and a small footprint.

HI!

Try the Burton Ion. If you like it stiffer try the Driver X.
I got the Ion and like it very much.

In the long tradition of recommending your own kit, I can add my vote
to the Ion. I've been boarding for 15 years, had the Ion for the last
2 and they're best I've ever used. (But then, modern kit is all so
much better than the stuff we had starting out).
--
Champ
Old February 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

wrote:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

Anyone done the drill lately? I go for fairly stiff, at least
the upper part and a small footprint.

HI!

Try the Burton Ion. If you like it stiffer try the Driver X.
I got the Ion and like it very much.

In the long tradition of recommending your own kit, I can add my vote
to the Ion. I've been boarding for 15 years, had the Ion for the last
2 and they're best I've ever used. (But then, modern kit is all so
much better than the stuff we had starting out).
--
Champ

I'm a big fan of the BOA wire lace system and highly recommend it. I
have the Vans Contra's which are fairly stiff. Had them 3 years now
and they have been super. They go on and off in a few seconds, and if
you want to make them tighter, you can do it in 2 secs, just wind the
ratchet.

Old February 9th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Steven Slaby

) writes:
On Feb 9, 7:54 am, Champ wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:01:37 +0100, Ren=E9 Bedbur
wrote:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

Anyone done the drill lately? I go for fairly stiff, at least
the upper part and a small footprint.

HI!

Try the Burton Ion. If you like it stiffer try the Driver X.
I got the Ion and like it very much.

In the long tradition of recommending your own kit, I can add my vote
to the Ion. I've been boarding for 15 years, had the Ion for the last
2 and they're best I've ever used. (But then, modern kit is all so
much better than the stuff we had starting out).
--
Champ

I'm a big fan of the BOA wire lace system and highly recommend it. I
have the Vans Contra's which are fairly stiff. Had them 3 years now
and they have been super. They go on and off in a few seconds, and if
you want to make them tighter, you can do it in 2 secs, just wind the
ratchet.

THe boa system used to be my favourite until I tried the Burton Driver X.
The BOA system that I had I could not adjust the foot and leg sections
seperately (all or nothing).

THe DriverX has seperate laces for top and bottom and you just pull on a
handle to tighten, which is faster/easier than sitting there and winding
and winding to close them when you first put them on.

Steve.

Old February 9th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
56fish

On Feb 8, 10:15 pm, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:

Anyways... my longtime Northwave Legends are shot.. tried on a
pair of their latest and they don't feel right at all.. I think
they merged with another company and things have changed for
the worse.

Graci

Legend was a great boot.

We sold NW for 7 - 8 years. Dropped 'em 2 years ago. Nobody would
tell me but, I know what you're talking about.

Driver-X or Ion, a good choice

Old February 9th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

wrote:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

[...]

I heard there is a double BOA system out now which tightens the top
and bottom part of the boot separately. You can find it in the DC
Shoes Allegiance, Van Fargo Focus Boa and Thirty Two Focus Boa. From
what I've read for some people it works great, for some people the
lower BOA kills their instep (top of the foot).

Old February 11th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

"56fish" wrote in
oups.com:

Legend was a great boot.

We sold NW for 7 - 8 years. Dropped 'em 2 years ago. Nobody

would
tell me but, I know what you're talking about.

Driver-X or Ion, a good choice

Yeah they actually felt good on your feet and (at the time)
were nowhere near as bulky as other stuff. I wrap the laces
around the top for a little extra support..(well they are too
long too!)

So consensus seems to be to stop by the Burton store when I'm
in Burlington later this week and then hope they have their
sale early this year!

On another note.. Techine seems to have also gone the NW route.
I believe they were sold or merged with Sessions and moved from
Williston VT out to CO. Customer service refusing to replace
a completely lost toe strap claiming 'wear and tear' on a binding
that was used about 4 times on a Burton Fish. Total defect as it
appears the mount was tapped out too wide or partially stripped.

I have another pair of TN GC Dominators I got about 4 years
ago with my Donek and have had few problems. When a ratchet was
no longer working they gave me not just one, but 4 new ones with
no problems. So I don't know whats up with them but I probably
won't be considering them in the future.

Old February 12th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christopher Cox

On another note.. Techine seems to have also gone the NW route.
I believe they were sold or merged with Sessions and moved from
Williston VT out to CO. Customer service refusing to replace
a completely lost toe strap claiming 'wear and tear' on a binding
that was used about 4 times on a Burton Fish. Total defect as it
appears the mount was tapped out too wide or partially stripped.

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Technine was a good deal with their
warranty, but no more.

Chris