Followup to Followup to Followup - Alpine injuries

Old May 9th 04, 04:04 AM
lal_truckee

Default Followup to Followup to Followup - Alpine injuries

lal_truckee wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

they helicoptered a guy out of Estelle around noon today.
they helicoptered a guy out
of Estelle around noon today. Funny thing is the helicopter
flew in and at first circled me and buddy - we were up there
and I guess the copter pilot thought we must be the victim
we were watching him; he was watching us, until he saw we
were still moving; then he moved along and found the man
down. Early reports are he made to Reno hospital alive,
and probably only concussed. Here's hoping.

Followup - the guy they helicopter transported yesterday is in very
serious condition, in ICU at Reno. Best wishes to him for a full

recovery.

He crashed into exposed rocks in the bowl after an error on the

bowl rim
steep; no helmet; head injuries, from reports.

I've been wearing a helmet this year - big change for me. Previous

years
I only wore a helmet when I took out speed skis.

He reportedly died Saturday. Wear your helmet.

I didn't realize it, but I actually knew this guy, by sight if not by
name. He worked in the Alpine shop, and he patched my skis several times
when I tore up the bases. A good guy.

I repeat (realizing the usual know nothings will make a joke of it.)
Wear Your Helmet! If you actually ski risky lines or speeds it might
save your skull.