Lense Colour for Goggles?

Old October 22nd 03, 11:08 PM
Mike T

Default Lense Colour for Goggles?

I think Oakley's version of that lens is
called VR28. Lots of people use the Oakley mirrored goggles (various
flavours of "Iridium") but most of those filter out so much light
they're only useful on sunny days.

Maybe you're thinking VR50? I use VR28's for sunny days. Dark,
Iridium-less, and less costly.

On sunny days I use my shades, my
goggles are for flatlight, snow or fog.

Goggles all the time for me because....

Wait,
that implies that I crash...

-Mike T

Old October 23rd 03, 06:43 AM
Juan Parra

I have the same problem. I'm using the Oakley A-Frame w/ the Intense
Blue lens in low light and at night, which is actually yellow from the
inside. (The blue coating on the outside is just a stylie gimmick as

hey maybe i'm not doomed after all...
so the intense blue lens is the key...

Being able to see the
relief is very, very important when riding alpine, because any bumps on
the trail can cause havoc if you can't see them.

yep, it can make your day miserable...
not to mention one's confidence decreases
exponentially...

I wish I could find
something cheaper (these cost $120 USD) but I've tried a lot of goggles
out and the A-Frame is the only one I've found that:

the cost might be well worthy...maybe i can find
cheaper ones on ebay...

* doesn't fog up easily

very important...

thanks bro...

Old October 23rd 03, 08:03 AM
Switters

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:46:59 GMT, "Mike T" allegedly
wrote:

* replacement lenses are readily available at any time of the year
(online)

That's a struggle with the A-Frames as well. I went to a few REI stores
looking for an iridium lens to no avail. Unfortunately I was flying home
the next day so couldn't wait for them to get one in. And they're so
expensive... it's almost worth just buying a complete new goggle... then
you don't have to faff around changing lenses in the cold.

BTW: I also have big issues with clear lenses in seriously low viz.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 23rd 03, 02:16 PM
Mike T

the cost might be well worthy...maybe i can find
cheaper ones on ebay...

I saw a pair there last night!

Mike T

Old October 23rd 03, 05:43 PM
Juan Parra

"Mike T" wrote in message
the cost might be well worthy...maybe i can find
cheaper ones on ebay...

I saw a pair there last night!

Hey yet another eBay nut!

Is the Intense Blue the same as VR50?
Thanks

Juani

Old October 23rd 03, 06:00 PM
Mike T

Hey yet another eBay nut!

Not really... I just happened to look as a result of this discussion
about goggles and prices, curious to see what kind of coin people were
getting for them there. Hard to tell since none of the auctions on new
ones were close to ending at the time... anyways, I noticed the
frame/lens color combinations available were pretty gnarly. I've
ordered my last two pairs direct so I could get the lens I wanted in a
black frame... which is never available to me locally.

Is the Intense Blue the same as VR50?

Based on what I see on their web site I'd have to guess not. When I
bought the Intense Blue last year, I asked if they had a less expensive
lens that looked the same color from the inside and they said no. It
is a low-light lens as far as I know but not as much so as the Intense
Blue.

-Mike T

Old October 23rd 03, 07:05 PM
Juan Parra

Is the Intense Blue the same as VR50?

Based on what I see on their web site I'd have to guess not. When I
bought the Intense Blue last year, I asked if they had a less expensive
lens that looked the same color from the inside and they said no. It
is a low-light lens as far as I know but not as much so as the Intense
Blue.

As a result of this exchange, I decided to research more
on the subject, and NO, they are NOT the same.
High Intensity Blue lens seems to be the best for
flat/low light conditions.

http://www.vision3k.com/oakley-goggle-lens.asp

Those HI Blue goggles have become my prey
of choice for this winter :-)

Juani

Old October 23rd 03, 11:12 PM
Arvin Chang

wrote:
That's a struggle with the A-Frames as well. I went to a few REI stores
looking for an iridium lens to no avail. Unfortunately I was flying home
the next day so couldn't wait for them to get one in. And they're so
expensive... it's almost worth just buying a complete new goggle... then
you don't have to faff around changing lenses in the cold.

Speaking of REI, I made out like a bandit at their summer clearance
sale. I got a pair of black A-frames with Amber lens for $25! They had
a pair of reflective rose (I don't think it was the iridium) for $35,
but I personally don't like mirror lenses. I also picked up a Protec
race helmet for $18 (originall $65).

It's all about the clearance sales...
Old October 23rd 03, 11:17 PM
Mike T

That's a struggle with the A-Frames as well. I went to a few REI
stores
looking for an iridium lens to no avail. Unfortunately I was flying

home
the next day so couldn't wait for them to get one in. And they're

so
expensive... it's almost worth just buying a complete new goggle...

then
you don't have to faff around changing lenses in the cold.

I have yet to mess around with changing lenses anywhere but at home. I
have two frames, one with the low-light and one with the high-light.
Changing lenses while wet is a sure fire way to damage them, anwyays.

Speaking of REI, I made out like a bandit at their summer clearance
sale. I got a pair of black A-frames with Amber lens for $25! They had
a pair of reflective rose (I don't think it was the iridium) for $35

WOW. The retail value of the frames alone is $50.00, the difference
between the whole goggle and just a lens. A Frames are usually very
hard to find at a discount. When exactly did you make that find?

Mike T

Old October 25th 03, 01:27 AM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message . ..
Speaking of REI, I made out like a bandit at their summer clearance
sale. I got a pair of black A-frames with Amber lens for $25! They had
a pair of reflective rose (I don't think it was the iridium) for $35

WOW. The retail value of the frames alone is $50.00, the difference
between the whole goggle and just a lens. A Frames are usually very
hard to find at a discount. When exactly did you make that find?

Mike T

The week before Labor Day. They had a summer clearance sale and
eventually opened up a backroom where everything was 50% off whatever
the price on the item was... so there a box of them for 50.83 - 50% =
$25. I called some friends I knew, but they all had goggles already...
and I decided it would be unfair for my to buy a bunch and then sell
them to people (even if I sold them for zero profit).

--Arvin