Lense Colour for Goggles?

Old October 21st 03, 09:43 PM
John

Default Lense Colour for Goggles?

Im looking to buy some goggles. Being new I have not had a chance to
actually play around with dif. types etc. I am looking for a lense
color that will block sun during the day, yet not being too dark as I
would want them for night skiiing also. Would Red or Orange do the
job etc?

Just looking for some feedback on this. Maybe I can't have one set do
do both.?!

Thanks

John
Old October 21st 03, 10:43 PM
Mike T

Just looking for some feedback on this. Maybe I can't have one set do
do both.?!

In my experience, orange lenses work OK for both bright sun and
low-light conditions (foggy, cloudy, night), but dopn't excel for
either. I personally use a dark lens for bright sun and a yellow or
clear lens for fog, clouds, and night. I found the clear gives better
peripheral vision at night but the yellow really brings out the terrain
best. My wife on the other hand prefers an orange lens all the time. I
wear gas-perm contacts which are notorious for making one
light-sensitive, and she wears soft contacts, so that might be part of
it.

Mike T

Old October 22nd 03, 04:02 AM
Tiburon27

I have been browny/orange for years and I find in works well in both the
noon sun and at night. It is a good hybrid. I used to have an old
snowboard mag that broke down what the advantages of different coloured
lenses were but damned if I'll ever find it again. I found this in 30
seconds on Google:
http://www.athleticoptics.com/tips.a...etTip&TipID=18

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 02:29 PM
og

If you can only have one pair get a low/medium light goggle that transmits
at least 50% of visible light.

om...

Old October 22nd 03, 04:16 PM
Jason Watkins

I use polarized rose. It works great for bright daylight, and is ok
for night skiing in lighted areas. I doesn't work so well for whiteout
or other foggy "bit white blur" conditions. I've been wondering if
yellow might be better than that.

But anyhow, few goggle makers offer polarization (I guess it's not
cool), but if you can find it, it helps a lighter color lense nock
down the glare.
Old October 22nd 03, 04:22 PM
Juan Parra

"Jason Watkins" wrote in message
om...
I use polarized rose. It works great for bright daylight, and is ok
for night skiing in lighted areas. I doesn't work so well for whiteout
or other foggy "bit white blur" conditions. I've been wondering if
yellow might be better than that.

this whiteout or foggy days have been my problem...the best so
far for these conditions are the orange...although it's not great....
i haven't tried expensive goggles though...

juani

Old October 22nd 03, 04:26 PM
Mike T

this whiteout or foggy days have been my problem...the best so
far for these conditions are the orange...although it's not great....
i haven't tried expensive goggles though...

If you don't want to try expensive ones, just get a set of cheap clear
goggles for whiteout, fog, and night...

Example:
http://x.oakley.com/catalog/display/...l_vented/black
comes with a clear or orange lens, $39.00 direct from Oakley, can
probably be had cheaper. I suspect other, less expensive brands have
clear-lens goggles even cheaper.

Mike T

Old October 22nd 03, 06:32 PM
Juan Parra

Thanks Mike

Under flat conditions my eyes are really "flat"...
Can't see relief...so clear won't work...
That's a real pain since this is what I have been
getting in Vancouver the past 2 years...
I'm doomed...

Juani

Old October 22nd 03, 06:46 PM
Mike T

Under flat conditions my eyes are really "flat"...
Can't see relief...so clear won't work...
That's a real pain since this is what I have been
getting in Vancouver the past 2 years...
I'm doomed...

I have the same problem. I'm using the Oakley A-Frame w/ the Intense
Blue lens in low light and at night, which is actually yellow from the
inside. (The blue coating on the outside is just a stylie gimmick as
far as I know - it looks kinda cool but I don't think it serves any
function) They work incredibly well for me. Being able to see the
relief is very, very important when riding alpine, because any bumps on
the trail can cause havoc if you can't see them. I wish I could find
something cheaper (these cost $120 USD) but I've tried a lot of goggles
out and the A-Frame is the only one I've found that:

* doesn't fog up easily
* fits my face, with or without helmet (I do take the helmet off while
hiking sometimes - back on when riding)
* offers a wide variety of lens colors
* replacement lenses are readily available at any time of the year
(online)

Mike T

Old October 22nd 03, 09:42 PM
Neil Gendzwill

For contrast in flatlight, a yellow lens that lets in a fair amount of
light is what you need. I think Oakley's version of that lens is
called VR28. Lots of people use the Oakley mirrored goggles (various
flavours of "Iridium") but most of those filter out so much light
they're only useful on sunny days. On sunny days I use my shades, my
goggles are for flatlight, snow or fog.

I use Smith Goggles with yellow lenses, forget the model name (maybe
Regulator?). They were the top end one a couple of years ago and have
two really good features. The band attaches to a couple of wings
which extend from the front, which means that with a helmet the band
still pressures the goggle against your face. Also the band has a
clip, which means I can remove it without sliding it over the top of
my head, thus avoiding fogging due to collecting snow or water. Wait,
that implies that I crash...

Neil