help please for first timer

Old January 9th 06, 05:20 AM

Default help please for first timer

Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question and a common knowledge to all of
you, but I need help desperately.

My whole family has never tried snow skiing so we have absolutely no
knowledge of anything related to skiing, and I've registered my 10yr
and 8yr old kids for their very first lesson, information I received
told me to prepare woollen socks for them, problem is, I couldn't find
any wool socks in town, ski shops I visited has expensive special ski
socks for adults but none for kids.

I've found a lot of socks made from materials that I am not familiar
with, since the ski area is some distance away and we will not be able
to accompany the kids, if socks we provide does not fit the occasion,
there's no way we can help and I am afraid the kids will be too small
to handle the problem on their own.

So, please advise as to what kind of socks will be adequate. I've found
many mixed material socks such as 50/50 cotton/polyester,
nylon/polyester/polyurethene mix etc., what should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help.
Old January 9th 06, 06:07 AM

"Zonta" wrote in message
[...]

Did you actually ask the people at the ski shop or just look on the shelves?
Ski shops do a ton of business selling stuff for kids, its tough to believe
they couldn't help you at all. You should expect to pay $10-20 for a proper
pair. Pair I bought for my kid 2 days ago was 16.95. Seemed like a pretty
good sock. At 8/10 Years old they should last until they need bigger ones.

Anyway - No cotton. Try to keep cotton clothing to an absolute minimum when
in the outdoors, once wet, it stays wet until you get home and put it in the
dryer. Synthetics are best.
Buy a sport sock of some type which will go up to mid calf or more. Smooth,
even surface on the socks, not the ribbed type of thing you see on dress
socks or some work socks. Should be stretchy so they can pull them up and
not have loose folds/wrinkles inside the boots. That will cause your kids
to be in pain. Sore feet=learning over=your investment in lessons wasted.
Test the kids at home to make sure they understand which side the heel goes
on. I know that seems dumb, maybe I have a dumb kid, but how many times he's
complained of sore feet and I've taken boots off and found the heel on the
top... Avoid the temptation to buy really thick socks, the boots are padded
already, thicker socks just make the boot squirmy and they might try to
overtighten them to compensate, if they even recognize there is a problem.

You didn't ask, but also make sure they have decent gloves, headwear, proper
snowpants (NOT JEANS!) and they have clothes they can layer so they can add
more if its colder and remove something if its too warm. Oh, and ski
goggles, unless somehow you have a place that is suppying that type of thing
too. If your kids wear glasses, get some type of antifog stuff for them,
glasses fog up inside goggles.

Old January 9th 06, 09:10 AM

In article cZnwf.163229$2k.43452@pd7tw1no, Norm
wrote:

[...]

Hi Norm,

Thank you very much for your information. I did ask at local sports
shops but may be because of the busy season, they either point me to
racks with adult wear and say that's all they've got or simply tell me
they don't have them.

I have no trouble getting gloves, goggles and snowpants, the layer
clothes part I didn't know, thanks for the advice, I take it that means
they have to be cotton-free as well, am I right?

Headwear, that I have no idea, will synthetic toque be good?

About the socks again, do you mean any thin and smooth synthetic
material will do? I am wondering if the socks will at all need to serve
the purpose of keeping warmth, I have no experience in that respect.

Oh, one more thing, do they need water bottles? I don't seem to have
seen any skier carrying water bottle, that seems strange to me.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the help.
Old January 9th 06, 02:33 PM

Zonta wrote:
Hi all,

This is probably a stupid question and a common knowledge to all of
you, but I need help desperately.

My whole family has never tried snow skiing so we have absolutely no
knowledge of anything related to skiing, and I've registered my 10yr
and 8yr old kids for their very first lesson, information I received
told me to prepare woollen socks for them, problem is, I couldn't find
any wool socks in town, ski shops I visited has expensive special ski
socks for adults but none for kids.

The socks are real, real important to get right, because the wrong ones
will result in more discomfort than you can imagine. Wool socks are
fine if they're the right kind, designed for skiing, but you do NOT want
the sort of bulky socks that are for other activities. And, by the way,
as far as "expensive" and "special" go, I don't find that ski socks are
so dramatically different from decent socks for any other activity. Buy
proper running socks, they cost. Buy proper tennis socks, they cost.
Buy proper hiking socks, they cost Fail to buy proper socks, for
running or tennis or skiing or a lot of other activities, and you'll pay
the difference in blood and blisters.

As for kids' ski socks, it's too bad your local shops don't carry them
retail, but they're easy to find online. Just do a websearch for
"children's ski socks" -- I did that and found
http://www.activesportswearoutlet.co...kids_socks.htm which has
several options. Don't buy snowboard socks instead. If time is short,
give the kids some money and tell them to buy them at the mountain,
which should have them.

Old January 9th 06, 02:54 PM

Zonta wrote:

I have no trouble getting gloves, goggles and snowpants, the layer
clothes part I didn't know, thanks for the advice, I take it that means
they have to be cotton-free as well, am I right?

Yes, no cotton. Wool, polyester, polypro, etc. Chances are you have
alot of this already - sweatshirts, sweaters, long sleeve shirts, etc.
make for good layers as long as they're not cotton. Then you need a
light- to medium- weight water-resistant outer layer.

Multiple light and mid weight layers is much more versitile than one big
heavy parka. Avoid the temptation to use that -40 degree expedition
parka; you'll overheat and then your only options are keep it on and
sweat like a pig, or take it off and freeze. Much better to be able to
add or drop layers incrementally.

BTW, goggles are optional for beginners - you need them if you're going
fast, but you shouldn't be going that fast yet. Sunglasses are a good
idea if it'll be sunny. With any glasses, make sure that they're firmly
attached with a croakie - you don't want to lose a pair of prescription
glasses in the snow.

Headwear, that I have no idea, will synthetic toque be good?

Yes, that's what most people wear, unless they're wearing a helmet.
Get a neck gaiter. Best eight bucks you'll spend on outerwear.

About the socks again, do you mean any thin and smooth synthetic
material will do? I am wondering if the socks will at all need to serve
the purpose of keeping warmth, I have no experience in that respect.

Ski boots are well insulated, so you don't need more insulation. The
sock is there for sanitary reasons (your're renting, right?) and to make
it easy to slide your foot in and out.

The best way to keep you feet warm is to keep your core temperature up.
A warm hat and a down vest will do more to keep your feet warm than a
second pair of socks.

Oh, one more thing, do they need water bottles? I don't seem to have
seen any skier carrying water bottle, that seems strange to me.

I ski with a small water bottle. Many people don't. You didn't say
where you'l be skiing, but staying well hydrated is a good way to stave
off altitude sickness. If you're going to be above 5000', drink lots of
water, and bring a bottle with you on the hill. Otherwise, it's up to
you.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the help.

No problem. Ask away.

//Walt
Old January 9th 06, 03:16 PM

"Zonta" wrote in message news:090120060210593814%

Hi Norm,

Thank you very much for your information. I did ask at local sports
shops but may be because of the busy season, they either point me to
racks with adult wear and say that's all they've got or simply tell me
they don't have them.

I have no trouble getting gloves, goggles and snowpants, the layer
clothes part I didn't know, thanks for the advice, I take it that means
they have to be cotton-free as well, am I right?

Ideally, yes. I wear a poly thermal underwear and fleece as next layer.
Don't mortgage the ranch, if you already have some long underwear that has
some % cotton, it isn't the end of the world. If they take to the sport, get
em the good stuff next Christmas. Every once in a while you see teenagers on
the hill wearing denim as an outer layer. Thats gotta suck.

Headwear, that I have no idea, will synthetic toque be good?

Perfect. They make some out of fleece now which are really good, but wool
(can be itchy) or synthetic is good. Don't get anything with long stuff
hanging off them, they may not let them on the lift.

About the socks again, do you mean any thin and smooth synthetic
material will do? I am wondering if the socks will at all need to serve
the purpose of keeping warmth, I have no experience in that respect.

To some extent, yes. But thicker ones don't seem to help, if the boots get
cranked too tight it impairs circulation, which doesn't help warmth at all.
Look for something that was designed to be a sport sock. If the ski shops
can't help you look at any place that caters to outdoor clothing or
equipment. When I said don't go too thick, I was thinking of the thick grey
work socks you see. You don't want them really paper thin either. Don't
stress too much on the exact type, the key is get something which is not
going to bunch up inside the boot and will absorb a little moisture.
(Perspiration.) If its sold as a sport sock it won't be too far off the mark
for what they will be doing now. If they decide they want to race or
something when they get older, THEY will tell you what they want and they
will know by then where to find it, trust me.

Oh, one more thing, do they need water bottles? I don't seem to have
seen any skier carrying water bottle, that seems strange to me.

Y'know, I carry water when I'm hiking but I don't when I'm skiing. A small
leak, which might be a minor annoyance on a day hike, could be a major pain
while skiing, and depending what gets wet, might even be life or limb
threatening, it could freeze, and I would rather feel thirsty than have to
stop 3 times to pee. I know some people do carry a hydration pack. I know
I'm thirsty by the end of the day. Maybe they are right and I am wrong, who
knows? If they have access to water a couple times during the day, and don't
start the morning dehydrated already, they should be OK. Give em a good
breakfast and see how it turns out.

Old January 9th 06, 03:35 PM

"Walt" wrote in message news:gHvwf.2656

BTW, goggles are optional for beginners - you need them if you're going
fast, but you shouldn't be going that fast yet. Sunglasses are a good
idea if it'll be sunny. With any glasses, make sure that they're firmly
attached with a croakie - you don't want to lose a pair of prescription
glasses in the snow.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I would rather see them in goggles. We've
grudgingly left for skiing when the kids couldn't find their goggles and
always regretted it. Any amount of snow coming down is enough to make them
miserable. And you don't want the kids deciding when its time to put on the
sunglassses, when they realize they need them, its too late, sore eyes
tomorrow. Remember, the OP is not going to be there with them.

Old January 9th 06, 03:56 PM

Norm wrote:
"Walt" wrote

BTW, goggles are optional for beginners - you need them if you're going
fast, but you shouldn't be going that fast yet.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I would rather see them in goggles.

Well, I skied for almost a full year before I felt the need for goggles.
Others' experiences may differ. I don't think it's a necessary
requisite for a first timer - there are enough barriers to entry as it
is without trumpeting unnecessary ones. Like many ski accoutremants,
you don't need them to get started, but if you keep it up you'll acquire
them in due time.

We've grudgingly left for skiing when the kids couldn't find
their goggles and always regretted it. Any amount of snow
coming down is enough to make them miserable.

Sounds like a good object lesson in keeping track of their gear. Let
'em be miserable and maybe they'll be able to find them in the future.

Anyway, I'll bet your kids aren't total novice beginners.

//Walt
Old January 9th 06, 04:22 PM

Walt wrote:
Norm wrote:

"Walt" wrote

[...]

The kids I see around here all wear goggles and many
wear helmets. The goggles at least are REQUIRED to be
cool even if they really don't need them. I'll bet
just one look at the other kids in class will make
the goggles a REQUIREMENT. Then you'll have safe
eyes, which is the most important thing.
Old January 9th 06, 04:40 PM

"Walt" wrote in message news:_Awwf.2657
Well, I skied for almost a full year before I felt the need for goggles.
Others' experiences may differ. I don't think it's a necessary requisite
for a first timer - there are enough barriers to entry as it is without
trumpeting unnecessary ones. Like many ski accoutremants, you don't need
them to get started, but if you keep it up you'll acquire them in due
time.

If *I* was skiing like a beginner, I could get along without them. Throw a
little bad weather (snow falling IS bad weather for a beginner) into the
equation and what do you have for a first impression?

We've grudgingly left for skiing when the kids couldn't find
their goggles and always regretted it. Any amount of snow
coming down is enough to make them miserable.

Sounds like a good object lesson in keeping track of their gear. Let 'em
be miserable and maybe they'll be able to find them in the future.

Anyway, I'll bet your kids aren't total novice beginners.

Well, no. But not particularily agressive, not then anyway. We regretted it
mostly because once we got out there we took pity on them and gave them our
goggles.
I've pulled away from an accident scene with a tobogan and had to stop to
pull down my goggles because it was uncomfortable, and I don't pull a loaded
rig all that fast.

Bottom line - yeah, you could get along without them, but I think you would
prefer not to.