Death by Snowboarder

Old February 28th 05, 05:07 AM
JQ

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
Jim Strohm wrote:

rosco wrote:

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast

conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

Hmm, prevention is probably preferable to body recovery.

Has any ski hill ever considered taking a proactive approach to safety
training, like exchanging attendance at a 20-minute safety lecture at 8
am for a $5 discount coupon on that day's lift ticket?

In a fashion, yes. At Stratton, people are required to sit through a
safety video before they can enter the terrain park. Not sure how
enforcement is done, but from what I've heard, they've got a yurt right
there so people can't argue that it's inconvenient. I have no data on
whether this policy has coincided with a decrease in injuries or
accidents, but that information might be out there somehow.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

I think that may be an Intrawest thing, they are also doing it at Mountain
Creek and there is a $5.00 fee. Mountain Creek has one section of the
mountain that is a dedicated terrain park. The other terrain parks is open
to anyone and there is no safety video that you need to watch. I like the
idea that the resorts give discounts lift tickets to all those that watch
the safety videos. This way many of the youth skiers/boarders can be told
may of the do's and don'ts. They certainly aren't learning them from their
parents.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 28th 05, 01:33 PM
Jeff

rosco wrote:
It is rumored...

Today a 27 year old skier died of internal injuries from being hit by

boarder at the bottom of Rendezvous Bowl at Jackson Hole. Supposedly

the skier was stopped at the bottom of the bowl and was taken out by

16 year old boarder going at excessive speed. She was helivaced to
Idaho Falls and pronounced dead during emergency surgery. The

boarder
walked away from the clinic.

Does anybody have a link to this story? Google is letting me down thus
far...

Old February 28th 05, 03:09 PM
TexasSkiNut

Jeff wrote:
rosco wrote:
It is rumored...

Today a 27 year old skier died of internal injuries from
being hit by a boarder at the bottom of Rendezvous Bowl
at Jackson Hole. Supposedly the skier was stopped at the
bottom of the bowl and was taken out by a 16 year old
boarder going at excessive speed. She was helivaced to
Idaho Falls and pronounced dead during emergency surgery.
The boarder walked away from the clinic.

Does anybody have a link to this story? Google is letting
me down thus far...

Google just turned up this link:
http://www.jhzone.com/viewinfo.cfm?ObjectID=E58FB94F-BED1-488A-8947D5FC2E031B20
or http://tinyurl.com/6tv3e

Old February 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Chuck

rosco wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:

rosco wrote:

Confirmed the rumor today, same scenerio. With the hard & fast

conditions, ski patrol is being extra Nazi. Too bad, this.

Hmm, prevention is probably preferable to body recovery.

Has any ski hill ever considered taking a proactive approach to safety
training, like exchanging attendance at a 20-minute safety lecture at
8 am for a $5 discount coupon on that day's lift ticket?

I mean, we can keep slamming 16-year-old natural born snowboard-riding
killers into jail until hell freezes over, but it won't bring back one
single ****ing dead victim.

This should not be an observation limited to the ken of the few
rocket-science practicioners on this NG.

And at last count there were about 20 of us.

I'm with you on the proactive approach. Death on the hill by heart
attack or natural selection is acceptable but getting mugged is not part
of the deal. I was on some hard & fast blue groomers today and was
scared to death of getting blind-sided. I'm not used to skiing looking
behind me. Ski patrol has my support on this one.

Very creative idea, that about the safety lecture. And the target
market of this idea is most likely very appropriate. Now if the risk
managers and insurance companies would step off the straight and narrow
and take a chance, it could happen (HA!).

RAC

Do you really think the kid hadn't been lectured before? My two bucks
says the kid knew he was skiing too fast, had been warned before, but
just didn't care. He probably thought "nothing's ever gone wrong before,
so it won't now either.... WHAM!". Typical teenage invincibility complex.

Let me guess, was he racing a friend, pretending he was doing "boarder
cross" like he's seen on TV? I've seen an awful lot of that this year
for some reason. The worst part of it is now you've got two (or more)
boarders bombing straight down a trail, and those who'd like to carve
turns have no where to go to avoid them.
Old February 28th 05, 03:31 PM
tg

oups.com...

Try www.jacksonholenews.com and click on Today's News.

Old February 28th 05, 03:38 PM
Chuck

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Jeff wrote:

rosco wrote:

It is rumored...

Today a 27 year old skier died of internal injuries from
being hit by a boarder at the bottom of Rendezvous Bowl
at Jackson Hole. Supposedly the skier was stopped at the
bottom of the bowl and was taken out by a 16 year old
boarder going at excessive speed. She was helivaced to
Idaho Falls and pronounced dead during emergency surgery.
The boarder walked away from the clinic.

Does anybody have a link to this story? Google is letting
me down thus far...

Google just turned up this link:
http://www.jhzone.com/viewinfo.cfm?ObjectID=E58FB94F-BED1-488A-8947D5FC2E031B20
or http://tinyurl.com/6tv3e

Maybe if ski patrols started yanking lift tickets from people skiing or
boarding out of control, instead of verbal warning after warning, we
wouldn't have accidents like this. I mean, you do it once, you're off
the mountain for the day. You do it twice, your done for the season.
Third time, don't ever come back here. The problem I keep seeing is a
few bad apples get warned over and over and absolutely nothing seems to
be done.
Old February 28th 05, 05:49 PM
Jeff

rosco wrote:

I'm with you on the proactive approach. Death on the hill by heart
attack or natural selection is acceptable but getting mugged is not

part
of the deal. I was on some hard & fast blue groomers today and was
scared to death of getting blind-sided.

Is this what happened on Friday - the blues were extra fast and he was
in over his head? If that is the case, then it still excuses nothing.
If he was going fast enough to break his board and if he's out of
control, then he's *got* to take himself out before he hurts someone
else. Period.

From everything I've seen, they were near or at the lift area at the

end of Rendezvous trail. It this is true, then he has no excuse for
excessive speed. You can't scream into the lift area. At that point,
courteous people are slowing down.

Disgusted with this incident,
Jeff

Old February 28th 05, 06:01 PM
foot2foot

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:33:31 -0500, TrueWest
wrote:

Link to recognized source please...

The boarder (a minor) has in fact been charged him with manslaughter:

http://www.jacksonholeradio.com/news.htm

-Astro

Yes, and now we have a bit of a different account of the incident.
That is the woman was not *stopped* at the bottom of
a run.

So, it was in fact a collision of two moving people. Having
just discussed this very point, to me it seems that all might
be jumping a little quick at this point. The witnesses would
all have to be evaluated, and so on.

I'm not saying there's no "fault" here, only that it needs a
fair and careful determination.

It's way too soon to be so sure of who did what.

Old February 28th 05, 07:40 PM
Fritz M

Chuck wrote:

My two bucks
says the kid knew he was skiing too fast, had been warned before, but
just didn't care

Or he thought he was okay going too fast.

I was approaching the lift at Loveland earlier this season when *wham*
I got clobbered by a boarder. The boarder berated *me* for going "too
slow" in the slow zone. I was going "too slow" because it was a busy
day.

RFM