Encamp Funicamp, Andorra

Old January 13th 05, 02:44 PM
ciscobloke ciscobloke is offline
Junior Member

Smile Encamp Funicamp, Andorra

Hi

Does anyone have any reports on getting the Funicamp from Encamp to the Ski slopes of Pas de la Casa- Grau Roig?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Michael
Old January 13th 05, 03:25 PM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:44:00 +0000, ciscobloke
wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any reports on getting the Funicamp from Encamp to the
Ski slopes of Pas de la Casa- Grau Roig?

Any info would be much appreciated.

What sort of info are you looking for exactly? You're obviously aware
that there's a lift from Encamp, presumably you also realise that you
can't ski down that side, but need to take the lift down again. And
yes, it gives you access to the whole of the Granvalira ski area,
including Soldeu-El Tarter as well as the areas you mention.

Last lift down was something like 4 o'clock, IIRC, possibly slightly
earlier at some times of year, and there never seemed to be long
queues, although I didn't actually use it myself.

Anything more specific you'd like to know?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 14th 05, 08:28 AM
Abairsty

You cant miss it...right in the centre of town with parking close by
Old January 14th 05, 08:45 AM
ciscobloke1 ciscobloke1 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any reports on getting the Funicamp from Encamp to the
Ski slopes of Pas de la Casa- Grau Roig?

Any info would be much appreciated.

What sort of info are you looking for exactly? You're obviously aware
that there's a lift from Encamp, presumably you also realise that you
can't ski down that side, but need to take the lift down again. And
yes, it gives you access to the whole of the Granvalira ski area,
including Soldeu-El Tarter as well as the areas you mention.

Last lift down was something like 4 o'clock, IIRC, possibly slightly
earlier at some times of year, and there never seemed to be long
queues, although I didn't actually use it myself.

Anything more specific you'd like to know?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
http://www.skiclub.co.uk

Hmmmmmm thanks for the info... I was told that you use the Funicamp to get to the ski slopes, but at the other end you have to ski down to the lifts which is not reccommended for beginners?!

Do you know if there is a Ski hire shop next/near to the Funicamp in Encamp, and if I can purchase our Ski Passes in Encamp too?

I also heard we need a Handsfree thing? and the Funicamp costs €3 ppp day extra on top of the €114 4 day ski pass

Thanks in advance
Michael
Old January 14th 05, 09:24 AM
David Brown :o\)

"ciscobloke1" wrote in
get to the ski slopes, but at the other end you have to ski down to the
lifts which is not reccommended for beginners?!

I wouldn't advise you taking total beginners who have never been on skis
before down any of the slopes from the top of Funicamp, but there are some
nice easy runs down.
On one of the runs that follows the TSD6.PLA DE LES PEDRES lift goes through
a great natural half pipe and I had as much fun on this last year as any of
the other pistes.
Also for the more experienced, if you go down the route of the TS4 ENRADORT
lift but stick hard to the left you end up going though a lovely tree
section in deep powder. The trees are about 1m apart in all directions and
there are very few tracks through them so take care. This was my first ever
experience of crashing into a tree, lucky I was going slowly but I still had
to buy the beers as we had a bet at the top who would be the first to hit a
tree (
If you get the whole Granvalira pass then make sure you spend more time on
the Soldeu side as this IMHO (and I think Ace will agree) is far better than
the PdlC side.
--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 10:49 AM
ciscobloke1 ciscobloke1 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abairsty
You cant miss it...right in the centre of town with parking close by

Is it anywhere near the Encamp Sports centre? I'm stasying in a hotel close to that... Pere d'Urg
Old January 14th 05, 12:41 PM
Ace

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:24:37 -0000, "David Brown \)"
wrote:

"ciscobloke1" wrote in
get to the ski slopes, but at the other end you have to ski down to the
lifts which is not reccommended for beginners?!

I wouldn't advise you taking total beginners who have never been on skis
before down any of the slopes from the top of Funicamp, but there are some
nice easy runs down.

Check. There's a blue run down (they don't do greens, so it's the
lowest grading) which is not too difficult, but it crosses and merges
with a couple of reds, so you'll get fastish skiers all over the place
- not an ideal place for a complete novice.

On one of the runs that follows the TSD6.PLA DE LES PEDRES lift goes through
a great natural half pipe and I had as much fun on this last year as any of
the other pistes.

Check. Especially good on the windy, poor visibility days we had
around new year last season, as you can still get a group down, having
fun.

Also for the more experienced, if you go down the route of the TS4 ENRADORT
lift but stick hard to the left you end up going though a lovely tree
section in deep powder. The trees are about 1m apart in all directions and
there are very few tracks through them so take care. This was my first ever
experience of crashing into a tree, lucky I was going slowly but I still had
to buy the beers as we had a bet at the top who would be the first to hit a
tree (

I can't quite place that bit - my mental lift map is obviously not
fully functional :-} fx: consults web page Hmmm. Well I remember
some parts of that area as being wide open, ski anywhere terrain. I
can see on the piste map that there are trees there but I really can't
remember them.

If you get the whole Granvalira pass then make sure you spend more time on
the Soldeu side as this IMHO (and I think Ace will agree) is far better than
the PdlC side.

Well it very much depends what you want; there is great skiing on both
sides. Skiing down into Grau Roig and (especially) PdlC itself there
is much more in the way of motorway runs, which some people like,
although there's also more of a tendency for them to get scraped and
icy in less than ideal conditions.

But there is also some great off-piste over there - my favourite bit
there is the woody area above Piolets - a single drag takes you up
there, limiting numbers, which allows you to ski anywhere you feel
like on a tree-filled face. Great fun and tends to hold the powder
really well.

OTOH there's also a lot of good stuff on the Soldeu side, with perhaps
a bit more flexibility in terms of run types and degree of difficulty.

Do it all!

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 14th 05, 03:11 PM
Ace

http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.a...subsection=117
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 14th 05, 03:34 PM
ciscobloke1 ciscobloke1 is offline
Junior Member

Cool - Thanks all for the info, I feel a little better now!

I'm off there in Feb with my Bro... we've both ski'd before a couple of times, but its been almost 10 years since the last time :-0

So Encamp is ok for us yes? For the time of year (Half Term) I think i got a good deal by staying out of PDLC and the Funicamp sounds like the perfect 15 mins ride to help wake up and get over a HO.

So was there a Ski Hire and Ski Pass place in Encamp?

Cheerio
Michael
Old January 14th 05, 03:38 PM
ciscobloke1 ciscobloke1 is offline
Junior Member

What time can you ski in the PDLC and Soldeu slopes? And if i miss the last Funicamp back to Encamp, is there other methods of transport to take and if so, roughly how much would this cost?!

Cheers
Michael

Spare Skiing ticket - Andorra Bernie European Ski Resorts 2 February 6th 04 04:00 PM
Andorra Adfunk Internet Solutions Article Jehad Internet European Ski Resorts 1 February 3rd 04 09:41 AM
Andorra - conditions right now Ian Spare European Ski Resorts 10 December 10th 03 11:42 PM
Andorra AEC European Ski Resorts 5 November 4th 03 04:15 PM
bulgaria v andorra Hedgehog & Markarina Alpine Skiing 5 August 8th 03 09:15 AM