Slipping turn vs. carving turn revisited

Old November 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Slipping turn vs. carving turn revisited

Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Driving is a kind of flatboarding as well,

No, it's not.

Well, guess that depends on your perception on what a "sliding" sport
is. Next time when you come down on a mountain road, try driving with
the "cruise control" set on the posted speed limit and drive adjusted
to the recommended corner speed, see how it runs.

Your intent and excution, steering right to turn right and steering
left to left, just like the flatboarding, (which is right ski heavy to
turn right and left ski heavy to turn left,) and if you stay on the
speed limit and recommended corner speed, and without traffic, you may
not even need to touch the brake. And that is a cruising on
flatboarding.

Have fun,

Perhaps I could interest you in a highway safety public service
program? All you have to do is post on this newsgroup every week the
date, approximate time, and highways you will be using in the mountains
this winter.

Why, do you need help to distinguish the auto traffic on a highway and
the ski traffic on the mountain?

IS

Old November 3rd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Walt wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
TexasSkiNut wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

Driving is a kind of flatboarding as well,

No, it's not.

Well, maybe...it all depends on how you wave your arms.

"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. The Sixth
Patriarch said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mind that is moving'."

"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. Finally, Walt
said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mouth that is moving'."

"Walt said:..."? Yup, your mouth is moving.

IS

//Walt

Old November 3rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

taichiskiing wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Driving is a kind of flatboarding as well,

No, it's not.

Well, guess that depends on your perception on what a "sliding" sport
is. Next time when you come down on a mountain road, try driving with
the "cruise control" set on the posted speed limit and drive adjusted
to the recommended corner speed, see how it runs.

Your intent and excution, steering right to turn right and steering
left to left, just like the flatboarding, (which is right ski heavy to
turn right and left ski heavy to turn left,) and if you stay on the
speed limit and recommended corner speed, and without traffic, you may
not even need to touch the brake. And that is a cruising on
flatboarding.

Have fun,
IS

snorkcoughwheezechoke

Uhm, Ichin?
Look at what you wrote again.
In a car you steer (turn the wheel) left to
turn left. One of the results of this action
will be that that the RIGHT side of the car
will be "heavy".

The same is true for skiing. You weight
your RIGHT ski to turn left (presuming
that you are skiing frontwards, which
must be stipulated these days of double tip
skis).

If you do what you wrote, you are doing
royals (royal christies, or ruel christies). Or some
intermediate step toward that move. To be a royal, of
course, your downhill leg would be out at a 90 degree
angle, but skiing on the uphill ski works, but not
well as a constant diet.

http://eng.proz.com/kudoz/1219123
The royal christie, in it's most elegant form, is a christie (turn) on
the uphill edge of the uphill ski with the downhill ski carried
gracefully in the air with the leg bent to a 90 degree angle as in a
roundhouse karate kick. It is an "old school" technique, but still very
useful as a drill to promote inclination to initiate a turn, no matter
what type of equipment you're on.

This is what the ballet skiers of the 60's-70's were doing.
Sometimes they would do 360's down the hill in a royal
position. Looked great. See if you can find some old footage
of Suzy Chaffee. SHE looked great doing these turns down the
hill. There was also a little Swiss guy I knew back then who
worked for Hart ski and did some wonderful demos of ski ballet
before it became an olympic event. I think it's since been
dropped as an event but it's still part of the past.
RW
Old November 3rd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

taichiskiing wrote:
Why, do you need help to distinguish the auto traffic on a highway and
the ski traffic on the mountain?

Oh, I dunno. At times it feels the same on a busy run as it does on the
I-70 Autobahn getting to the slopes.

Sam "Drive fast, honk often" Seiber
Old November 3rd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

taichiskiing wrote:
TexasSkiNut wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Driving is a kind of flatboarding as well,

No, it's not.

Well, maybe...it all depends on how you wave your arms.

"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. The Sixth
Patriarch said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mind that is moving'."

And then the ice weasels came...

--
Cheers, Bev
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't

Old November 3rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Walt" wrote in message
"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. The Sixth
Patriarch said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mind that is moving'."

"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. Finally, Walt
said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mouth that is moving'."

LOL - thanks Walt.

Bob

Old November 4th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:28:38 -0500, VtSkier
wrote:
The writer said that two people go for a "brisk" ride
in a car. If the passenger is scared, the car oversteers,
if the driver is scared, the car understeers.

Alternately, if you hit the wall tail-first, that's oversteer;
nose-first, that's understeer.

bw
Old November 4th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

VtSkier wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

Yes, you're right; I missed to specify the direction in my "around a
curve" example, which is curved to the right.

The same is true for skiing. You weight
your RIGHT ski to turn left (presuming
that you are skiing frontwards, which
must be stipulated these days of double tip
skis).

Ahh, here's the tricky part. Firstly, as I have specified that
flatboarding uses "inside" ski (dominant) turn, so I'd turn right when
my right ski heavy, which is different from your "outside" ski dominant
turn. However, secondly, how do you "weigh" that [outside] ski, as you
have to move your weight [inside] into the turn, which is opposite
direction from the force that you applied to the outside ski?

If you do what you wrote, you are doing
royals (royal christies, or ruel christies). Or some
intermediate step toward that move. To be a royal, of
course, your downhill leg would be out at a 90 degree
angle, but skiing on the uphill ski works, but not
well as a constant diet.

Actually, I've never learned what that royal something is, only do my
free skiing,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_v_is_tcsl.avi

and I do use flatboarding on almost all my skiing,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/sk...reeskiingl.wmv

[...]

Ya, I've seen her movie "fire and ice," I was quite impressed with her
skills and grace, nevertheless, they're kind of too "ci-ci" to me, so
I've never learned the ballet skiing. I'm flattered that you think my
skiing is compatible to hers. However, the difference is that
flatboarding is current and onto the future.

'later,
IS

RW

Old November 4th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

The Real Bev wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
TexasSkiNut wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
Driving is a kind of flatboarding as well,

No, it's not.

Well, maybe...it all depends on how you wave your arms.

"The wind was flapping a temple flag. Two monks were arguing about it.
One said the flag was moving; the other said the wind was moving.
Arguing back and forth they could come to no agreement. The Sixth
Patriarch said: 'It is neither the wind nor the flag that is moving. It
is your mind that is moving'."

And then the ice weasels came...

Weasels in, weasels out?

IS

--
Cheers, Bev

Old November 4th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Where does Wayne Wong hang out these days?

Itchy seems intent on describing historic ski maneuvers using unique
language constructions to obscure the connection to history. I suppose
it serves his purpose.

P.S. I recently scored (in Saratoga N.Y.!!) an English translation of
the Official Austrian Ski Instruction method manual circa 1950. Good
stuff for history buffs.