Big-mountain or Short-turny

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9th 05, 08:45 PM
corbeau

Default Big-mountain or Short-turny

I posted this on my local snowboard website but would be interested the
thoughts from a broader audience too.

Background - I came to snowboarding pretty late, turn 40 in a month, and
age and multiple knee surgeries will prevent me from every progressing
beyond strong intermediacy. 175lbs and pretty fit. Admire freestyle
skills but no interest in developing them for myself. Currently usually
ride in hardboots because I have most fun at higher speed cruising on
moderate slopes. Lately, I've spent more time in softboots due to the
flexibility(of usage, not the boots themselves). I just sold a Donek
Wide as I've gotten to be most comfortable with more forward angles and
didn't need the extra width, would rather have the faster edge
transition. As far as actual runs go, I spend most of my time on the
longer blues trying to ride fast and smooth, forays offpiste but
inbounds in search of powder: Debbies and GoldNugget at Snoqualmie,
everything off Chair8 at Baker, all the long blues and sometimes easier
tree runs at Crystal and Stevens.

That being the case, what do you see as the tradeoff between a big-
mountain shape and some of the more turny tapered shapes? Big-mountain
shapes would be things like the Winterstick Tom Burt 172, Steepwater 171
Steep, or a Donek Incline 168. They are all long, stiff and have long
sidecut radii. Good for stability at speed but not so turny for all the
bumps that always form two hours after a dump and tree runs.

The opposite end would be something like the Prior Khyber, Option
Northshore, etc(no Fish/Malolo, don't like the 3-hole mount). Supposedly
good in pow & tree but also fun for all-round use.

In the middle, all the stiffer freeride boards but most interested in
Prior MFR and Donek Incline due to excellent experiences with the boards
and customer service from the makers.

I like the specificity of the big-mountain models and the Khyber but
wonder which direction people find most effective for the PacNWish
conditions.

C.
--
-she ain't revved 'til them rods is thrown...