questions on cleaning snowboarding gear!!!

Old February 19th 05, 08:18 PM
letx letx is offline
Junior Member

Default questions on cleaning snowboarding gear!!!

do u hand wash & hang dry snowboarding pants/gloves/jackets

or machine wash & machine dry??
Old February 19th 05, 10:24 PM

I'd go by what the labels say to do. All my gear I've done by machine,
using gentle cycle.

Old February 20th 05, 03:07 PM
Waco Paco

letx wrote:

do u hand wash & hang dry snowboarding pants/gloves/jackets

or machine wash & machine dry??

Machine on gentle and cold water wash and rinse. Plus I don't use
detergent unless it's really dirty. Use only a little bit and don't use
the ones that smell all nice. The nice-smelling particles will adhere to
your DWR and make your clothing less waterproof.

Also put it in the drier to dry on LOW heat and keep an eye on it. THis
usually puts the waterproofness back into your pieces.

stu
Old February 21st 05, 10:05 AM
dave

if the gear isn't too waterproof once you've finished, there's some additive
that you can apply in the washing machine that re-waterproofs the clothing.
the other half has used it and it does a good job. can't remember what it's
called, but she picked it up from the ski shop.

Old February 21st 05, 03:30 PM
Mike T

if the gear isn't too waterproof once you've finished, there's some
additive
that you can apply in the washing machine that re-waterproofs the
clothing.
the other half has used it and it does a good job. can't remember what
it's
called, but she picked it up from the ski shop.

NikWax TX/Direct perhaps?

Old February 21st 05, 05:21 PM
Waco Paco

Mike T wrote:

if the gear isn't too waterproof once you've finished, there's some
additive
that you can apply in the washing machine that re-waterproofs the
clothing.
the other half has used it and it does a good job. can't remember what
it's
called, but she picked it up from the ski shop.

NikWax TX/Direct perhaps?

Gore-Tex also makes a spray on product. Its pretty good too! You spray
it on after washing your jacket and then put it in the drier. It totally
put new life into my jacket.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:46 AM
todd

Just use TechWash or a similar product. Most outdoor stores and ski
shops will sell non-detergent soaps that work great. They clean up
ski, snowboard, camping gear, whatever...and preserve the breathability
and waterproofing.

Old February 24th 05, 05:26 AM
Bob

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just use TechWash or a similar product. Most outdoor stores and ski
shops will sell non-detergent soaps that work great. They clean up
ski, snowboard, camping gear, whatever...and preserve the breathability
and waterproofing.

Is "Ivory" an equivalent product?

Bob

Old February 25th 05, 06:24 PM
todd

Bob wrote:
"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just use TechWash or a similar product. Most outdoor stores and

ski
shops will sell non-detergent soaps that work great. They clean up
ski, snowboard, camping gear, whatever...and preserve the

breathability
and waterproofing.

Is "Ivory" an equivalent product?

Bob

I don't think so. You want a cleaner that isn't soap, I believe. Go
in an outdoor store, they'll have something. Here is a description of
Nikwax's TechWash product;

WHY USE NIKWAX TECH WASH?

Tech Wash is a non-detergent, biodegradable cleaner that removes
dirt and detergent residue while leaving the fabric's water-repellency
intact. When garments are laundered in detergent, a water-attractive
residue is left behind The hydrophilic(water loving) molecules of the
residue mask the effectiveness of the garments durable water-repellency
(DWR). This causes the fabric to 'wet out' prematurely. All waterproof
breathable fabrics rely on the DWR to optimize their performance. Tech
Wash more than doubles the life of the DWR. Tech wash will also remove
water attractive residues left from other detergent washings.

Old February 25th 05, 07:31 PM
bri719

todd wrote:

I don't think so. You want a cleaner that isn't soap, I believe. Go
in an outdoor store, they'll have something. Here is a description of
Nikwax's TechWash product;

WHY USE NIKWAX TECH WASH?

Tech Wash is a non-detergent, biodegradable cleaner that removes
dirt and detergent residue while leaving the fabric's water-repellency
intact. When garments are laundered in detergent, a water-attractive
residue is left behind The hydrophilic(water loving) molecules of the
residue mask the effectiveness of the garments durable water-repellency
(DWR). This causes the fabric to 'wet out' prematurely. All waterproof
breathable fabrics rely on the DWR to optimize their performance. Tech
Wash more than doubles the life of the DWR. Tech wash will also remove
water attractive residues left from other detergent washings.

I'm gonna go get some of that stuff (or whatever equivalent they have at
REI) during lunch and try it out....sounds pretty good!

my good ol' boarding pants don't really repel water too much anymore --
especially the upper part of my legs. I was getting ready to coat them
with spray waterproofer for a solution to the problem, but I'll try that
kinda stuff first and see if it does the trick. I've washed them 5-10
times before using normal detergent (powder), so maybe that's an issue.

thx for the tip.
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *