ski length, pole length, boot fit

Old February 13th 05, 07:07 AM
7stud

Default ski length, pole length, boot fit

Hi,

I've never x-country skied before, but I would like to get out for some
exercise as an alternative to running in the winter. I'm 6'4'', 225 lbs.
How long should my skis be? How long should poles be? And, most
importantly, how should a boot fit? Toes touching the front? Or, just fit
them like I would a running shoe with plenty of room for my toes. I
searched google for about an hour, and I couldn't come up with a whole lot
of information.

I will probably be skiing alone most of the time, so I imagine I need to
stay on busy trails with groomed tracks near roads or something like that.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Old February 13th 05, 02:27 PM
Ralph

In article , "7stud"
wrote:

Hi,

I've never x-country skied before, but I would like to get out for some
exercise as an alternative to running in the winter. I'm 6'4'', 225 lbs.
How long should my skis be? How long should poles be? And, most
importantly, how should a boot fit? Toes touching the front? Or, just fit
them like I would a running shoe with plenty of room for my toes. I
searched google for about an hour, and I couldn't come up with a whole lot
of information.

I will probably be skiing alone most of the time, so I imagine I need to
stay on busy trails with groomed tracks near roads or something like that.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Boot fit: Like a running shoe. Snug but not too tight.

Pole Length: For Classic Style skiing poles should reach about 1/2 way
between armpit and top of shoulder. Stand in your shoes on the floor
with pole upright next to you.

Ski Length: Depends. You'll probably end up with the maximum length in
the model you purchase. But fit is very dependent on finding a ski to
work with your body weight. Go to a shop specializing in cross country
skis that has a lot of skis to choose from. If they try to fit you by
length of ski alone and not take into account your weight then don't buy
skis from that dealer. You could also try some mail order places like
Eagle River Nordic (www.ernordic.com) or others who will know hoe to fit
skis. Being 225 pounds it is likely you'll have to shop carefully for a
ski stiff enough for you.

You might also try renting skis and taking lessons from certified
instructors.
Ralph Thornton

Old February 13th 05, 03:44 PM
7stud

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

skis that has a lot of skis to choose from. If they try to fit you by
length of ski alone and not take into account your weight then don't buy
skis from that dealer.

REI is having a sale and they have some Fischer BC Country Crown's in 210cm
for $85. When I asked how long a ski I needed, the salesperson said length
is based on weight, and he looked at a chart and said the 210's would 'work'
for me.

Boot fit: Like a running shoe. Snug but not too tight.

I wear size 14 shoes, so I was surprised that REI had both a 49cm(Alpina)
and a 48cm(Salomon) shoe on sale--marked down to $20 from $120 and $100
respectively. The 49cm Alpinas had a wider bar at the toe, and the
salesperson said that wasn't quite appropriate for the Fischer skis.

The Salomons in size 48cm have the narrower bar on the toe. They are very
comfortable, but I am worried about how much room there should be for my
toes. How should my toes be positioned relative to the front of the boot?
Should my toes be just touching the front? For a running shoe I would never
buy a pair of shoes where my toe touched the front. REI can get 49cm
Salomon's for me from another store, but then I won't get the super
clearance price--they will be around $45 instead(v. $20).

Pole Length: For Classic Style skiing poles should reach about 1/2 way
between armpit and top of shoulder. Stand in your shoes on the floor
with pole upright next to you.

The poles they have are $12 and at 160cm are in the range you mention.

"Ralph" wrote in message
In article , "7stud"
wrote:

[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old February 13th 05, 08:04 PM
taywood

"7stud" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

My tip is to take a vacation at a ski centre, hire the kit with
the chance to change items to assess them, take tuition and
discuss these changes with the instructors and the techies,
so that when you return home you will have a purchasing plan.
(if you didnt actually buy at the resort).

Old February 13th 05, 09:00 PM
7stud

Hi,

Thanks for the response...but can anyone tell me how their boots fit? Are
your toes touching the front? Should there be 1/4 inch of room? Should it
fit like a rockclimbing shoe where your feet are jammed in so tight your
toes are curled up?

Old February 13th 05, 09:50 PM
JCZ

No it should fit like a comfortable running shoe fits. My toes do not
jam up against the toe of the boot. In fact, I can't even feel the
boot at the toe. The heel should not slip when you walk fast in them
either. I wear thick socks in mine though -- and I think it depends on
what kind of socks you will wear. You need room for the socks.

June

Old February 14th 05, 03:19 PM
Doug Taylor

"7stud" wrote:

Thanks for the response...but can anyone tell me how their boots fit? Are
your toes touching the front? Should there be 1/4 inch of room? Should it
fit like a rockclimbing shoe where your feet are jammed in so tight your
toes are curled up?

Snug but comfortable. Rock climbing tight not necessary and probably
counter productive.

BUT, definitely do not have a too large boot with space between toes
and front. Last season I couldn't resist a huge discount on a pair of
Salomon Equipe Classic 9's , size 42-2/3, though my usual size is
really 42. I figured with some thick wool socks the fit would be
okay. Wrong. That much space messed up my kick (dismal as it is
anyway) so much that I had to sell them used at huge loss on e-bay and
get boots that fit right.

--dt
Old February 14th 05, 03:59 PM
7stud

BUT, definitely do not have a too large boot with space between toes
and front.
Last season I couldn't resist a huge discount on a pair of
Salomon Equipe Classic 9's

Arrgh! I bought and then returned a pair of Salomon Escape D7's in size 48
that were marked down to $20 from $100. They felt great but my toes were
right at the front of the boot--not uncomfortable but just touching with two
pairs of thinnish ski socks on. Seeing the boots that cheap in my size is
what inspired me to get all the gear, and now I don't have boots, and I
guess I'll have to return the bindings too. The REI clearance sale is over
now.

"Doug Taylor" wrote in message
news

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 05:21 AM
Pole length for skate rollerskiing? Everett Fee Nordic Skiing 7 October 12th 04 10:03 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 04:02 AM
Pole revolution? Anders Lustig Nordic Skiing 4 February 7th 04 02:44 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 04:11 AM