Helmet

Old January 5th 04, 04:07 PM
Max

Default Helmet

Hello,

Which snowboarding for the first time in scotland (Glenshee) on of the
people we were with fell and landed on her arm and broke it. I was just
thinking if that was her head it would have been much worse, do many people
wear helmets? I didnt see any!!

Also the snow was more like ice cos the snow in scotland is crap at the
moment, so i guess powder snow would be less destructive to the body?

Cheers

Max

Ps - my bum hurts

Old January 5th 04, 04:10 PM
Max

Sorry about the bad spelling, must be tired!

"Max" wrote in message
Hello,

While snowboarding for the first time in scotland (Glenshee) one of the

Old January 5th 04, 07:43 PM
Tom

I was just
thinking if that was her head it would have been much worse

While snowboarding for the first time in scotland (Glenshee) one of the
people we were with fell and landed on her arm and broke it.

Last year was my debut season and got a bit carried away, tearing down the
mountain before I had really gained proper control of the board. On one
occasion I fell back and really smacked the back of my dome on some fairly
solid snow. I was OK, but realised it was more dangerous to the head than I'd
taken the time to consider. Subsequently I've recently bought a lid ready for
my holiday next month; it seems the sensible thing to do.
Old January 5th 04, 10:38 PM
paul m

my second time riding at beaver mountain in northern utah, last run of the
day.... my legs were tired, i guess i decided to straightline a cat track (i say
guess, because i don't remember this) and caught my edge.
i superman'd for 20 plus feet and landed on my head. didn't lose consciousness
for long, but i did puke a couple times and i couldn't really talk for several
days. i lost my memory for a week before and a few days after. and was pretty
stupid for 2 or 3 months afterwards.

i was talking to my friend chris about it the other day and he says i've never
been the same. i was stunned to hear him say that to me, but really, i have to
agree with him. true frickin story.

soooo, i guess my long winded point is that not wearing a helmet isn't worth
brain injury that can end your career or worse. before i hit my head i *never*
thought about wearing one, but now its a part of me. if you get a good one, you
won't even notice it. and here in utah, where everybody snowboards, i'd say
easily 25 to 30 percent of the people at brighton wear one. its really really
common here.

in closing, a friend of mine found a guy dead inbounds at brighton last year.
cause of death was head trauma inflicted my a head plant into a tree. i think
about that when i wipe out huge and bonk my helmet now.

good choice on the lid man.
paul

Old January 5th 04, 10:45 PM
Stephen

Which snowboarding for the first time in scotland (Glenshee) on of the
people we were with fell and landed on her arm and broke it. I was just
thinking if that was her head it would have been much worse, do many

people
wear helmets? I didnt see any!!

They're getting more popular around my area which is Ottawa, Canada. A lot
of places are making them mandatory for using halfpipes and terrain parks.
I can see them being adopted slowly, much like bicycle helmets. The more
people are seen using them, the more people will feel less like a dork and
decide to wear one as well.

Steve

Old January 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Mike T

They're getting more popular around my area which is Ottawa, Canada. A
lot
of places are making them mandatory for using halfpipes and terrain

parks.
I can see them being adopted slowly, much like bicycle helmets. The

more
people are seen using them, the more people will feel less like a dork

and
decide to wear one as well.

They are pretty common here at Mount Hood these days. People used to
ask me about my helmet like it was some kind of novelty... not any more,
I haven't had a question in a couple of years.

Old January 6th 04, 12:01 AM
Theodore Luigi Stungo

cause of death was head trauma inflicted my a head plant into a tree. i
think
about that when i wipe out huge and bonk my helmet now.

good choice on the lid man.
paul

F**king hell, Paul, what a story. Sorry about the chap who died, but I'm glad
you came out OK, albeit a little different to how your friend remembers you!

I guess your story will nicely answer the original poster's query about lids in
general..

Tom
Old January 6th 04, 01:11 AM
jaycb74

Just turned 33, been riding for about 10 years and finally decided it was
time to protect the head from all the trees in Tahoe. Good move, get a
helmet.

Old January 6th 04, 02:15 PM
Barney

"Baka Dasai" wrote in message
news:slrnbvjoch.2sk.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:07:31 -0000, Max said (and I quote):

Ps - my bum hurts

Like Prince Charles' valet, huh? You Brits are all the same.

If anyone wants a Royal Family - they're not exactly house trained,
unfortunately - they're more than welcome to them!

Old January 6th 04, 04:17 PM
Mike T

If anyone wants a Royal Family - they're not exactly house trained,
unfortunately - they're more than welcome to them!

politics

I'll trade you one un-house trained Royal Family for George Bush and his
whole administration!

/politics

-Mike T