Science behind skiing

Old September 9th 06, 12:58 AM
Nordic_Addict Nordic_Addict is offline
Junior Member

Default Science behind skiing

I am currently in high school, and to recieve an extra credit, I have decided to write a thesis about the science behind nordic skiing. This includes physics, what happens with friction, the effects of wax on the ski, how each wax is different and so on. I already have several articles, but I think that it would be great to get firsthand knowledge. Plus its much easier in case I need clarifacation. I would be beyond grateful if anyone would be able to help me with this.
Just as a point of interest, I hope to get a job as a ski design/engineer after college.
Old September 9th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Way to score an extra credit!

Perhaps you could explore what makes for the optimum glide. Length/width of
the skis relative to body weight. Is it the smallest or the biggest that
will still be somewhat practical for propulsion? Wide and short, narrow and
long, etc, what are pro's and cons?

That's one great dream to persue, becoming a ski designer, go all for it!

Good luck,

"Nordic_Addict" schreef in bericht

--
Nordic_Addict

Old September 9th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

there have been MANY discussions here on just the topics you've listed.
But, to re-hash all of it would be silly. Use your good friend "Google" to
help you.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear....skiing.nordic

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...kiing.nordi c

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ic&qt_s=Search

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...kiing.nordi c

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...k iing.nordic

be sure to google WITHIN the rec.skiing. nordic for all our groups advice.
have fun.
JK

Old September 9th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Zach Caldwell

What's your name and where do you live? Firsthand knowledge means
hands-on experience. That means getting hooked up with somebody who can
show you a lot of skis, explain some of the design principles, examine
base materials, etc. There are a handful of people in different places
that might be able to help you...

Zach

Old September 9th 06, 04:44 PM
Nordic_Addict Nordic_Addict is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Caldwell
What's your name and where do you live? Firsthand knowledge means
hands-on experience. That means getting hooked up with somebody who can
show you a lot of skis, explain some of the design principles, examine
base materials, etc. There are a handful of people in different places
that might be able to help you...

Zach
My name is Isaac, and I live in Vermont. I do have a few options open for firsthand knowledge in my area. My coach played a major part in NENSA. He has connections, so I'm going to leave that up to him. Thanks though.
After I start reading the articles i have, I'll come here if I need any clarifacation.
Thanks, and please keep posting with information if possible.
Isaac

Last edited by Nordic_Addict : September 9th 06 at 04:47 PM.
Old September 9th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

this is great that you are interested in the science behind nordic
skiing.

- there is still too much Voodoo in ski waxing

- most of the published scientific research is in Nordic languages.
Finland got its ski tunnel that allows modelling of skiing
all-year-round.

- research institutions in this country that have the capability to
conduct good scientific research are not interested in Nordic skiing.
But the fact that schools like MIT, Harvard, etc are in "skiable"
states and have nordic teams helps. Someone just need to get interested
in the subject (and not to expect getting rich overnight based on
results of the research).

- search this group for "Leonid Kuzmin". He claims to have conducted
scientific reasearch on ski glide, and his thesis is available online.
I don't find his study scienitific, but at least there is a list of
references in his thesis, and some of the papers may even be in English.

Old September 11th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

The easy thing would be to go to the library and look up "ice physics."
Well, maybe you'd have to hit a college library....but, I found a ton
of info in a book from about 1940 or 50 that I believe was called ice
physics. There were a lot of basic experiements that would be an easy
write up for a grade. Of course you can go the hard way and try to do
it all online, and sift through all the garage that people have written
who thing they know what's going on.

Jay Wenner

Old September 12th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Zeke

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
The easy thing would be to go to the library and look up "ice physics."
Well, maybe you'd have to hit a college library....but, I found a ton
of info in a book from about 1940 or 50 that I believe was called ice
physics. There were a lot of basic experiements that would be an easy
write up for a grade.

Does anyone use books for research papers anymore? 8-). I know
getting my kids to go to the library instead of spending hours on line
is very difficult. Have you checked the citation formats for on line
sources lately? I thought I know how to cite, but there are many new
forms to reflect the myriad type of sources found on internet - in turn
reflecting the implied quality of the information, ranging from
original publication (tending toward credible) to guys BSing on
newgroups and other forums - (tending toward pure BS).

Of course you can go the hard way and try to do
it all online, and sift through all the garage that people have written
who thing they know what's going on.

Indeed BAPD. There's a lot of armchair theorists around who spout
endlessly here and elsewhere about theoretical physics and other
supposedly scientific aspects of skiing and waxing without any basis in
either research or skill or experience in on snow skiing. I fear the
kid in question will take some of that stuff as credible when there is
actual credible sources out there.

To the kid: beware of anything written in this forum - there's a lot of
great stuff, but also a lot of stuff you shouldn't be citing. Look at
the qualifications of whomever is writing.

Old September 12th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

write up for a grade.

Jay, I just re-read the OP (should do that more often b4 posting) and
re-realized that it's all just for a high school grade. Just about
anything will do for a high school grade.