La Thuile TR

Old April 8th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Default La Thuile TR

La Thuile was nice. Lots of snow over the preceding 2 weeks and we had
the first sunny days since, so on Thursday morning it was untracked
everywhere. That did not last long!

We tried some offpiste but early on it was horrible because under the
few inches of fresh there was refrozen crud. It was nice later when soft
though...

Weather was hot all 3 days, so heavy going in the afternoon. Not too
many people for Easter, just yesterday when all the klutzes were let
out of ski school and jammed up the lifts by riding with empty chairs,
falling off so the chairs stopped etc. Pistes were lovely and empty,
especially the harder ones.

Hotel Martinet was nice and we had some good food, especially at La Lisse.

Only bummer was waife doing a 180 grab off the edge of a trail and
banged her knee. She was able to ski afterwards, but it stiffened up
overnight so she was hobbling yesterday and didn't ski.
Old April 8th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:15:23 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

Only bummer was waife doing a 180 grab off the edge of a trail and
banged her knee. She was able to ski afterwards, but it stiffened up
overnight so she was hobbling yesterday and didn't ski.

Bummer.

I've just missed going to Flaine this weekend, after a chairlift
incident at Engelberg on Friday. My brother managed to get (pushed) in
front of me and the lift, then got knocked over by it, bringing me and
the german lady next to me down after him. She landed very heavily on
my arm, such that I honestly thought I might have broken it.'

Skiied down (one-poled) and got it x-rayed but it's just bruised and
battered, but still too painful to use, although it's now just about
OK to type with.

As if I hadn't lost enough of this season already.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old April 10th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

wrote:

Only bummer was waife doing a 180 grab off the edge of a trail and
banged her knee. She was able to ski afterwards, but it stiffened up
overnight so she was hobbling yesterday and didn't ski.

Bummer.

I've just missed going to Flaine this weekend, after a chairlift
incident at Engelberg on Friday. My brother managed to get (pushed) in
front of me and the lift, then got knocked over by it, bringing me and
the german lady next to me down after him. She landed very heavily on
my arm, such that I honestly thought I might have broken it.'

Skiied down (one-poled) and got it x-rayed but it's just bruised and
battered, but still too painful to use, although it's now just about
OK to type with.

As if I hadn't lost enough of this season already.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -http://www.skiclub.co.uk

Heck - you've really been in the wars haven't you?

For those that care, weather here in Tignes is like Brighton beach -
I'm sat on a balcony on the 9th floor of the Bec Rouge in Le Lac and
the thermometer is reading nearly 20 degrees. Snow is hard first thing
and slushy for the rest - the freeride world cup is underway and the
riders are clearly confident with the crud they're having to land off
the rocks, although one guy got helicoptered off with a knackered knee
yesterday. Lovely weather for topping up your tan if you're lazy like
me.

Bad news - the Aeroski is pretty much ****ed. It ground to a juddering
halt the other day and everyone was abseiled out over the course of 3
hours. Depending on the rumour you believe either a wire snapped or
one of the big cogs went, or something else. In any event it's
understood it won't be working for the rest of the winter season which
is a bit of a hassle. The Combe Folle drag that starts half way down
Trolle looks to have a queue about 20 metres long and I reckon Fresse
and Tufs are taking an equal kicking for the moment. At least the tour
operators will be packing up shop next weekend, so I'm looking forward
to some emptyish pistes for the last couple of weeks!

Matt

Old April 13th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

wrote:

[...]

Matt- Hide quoted text -

....in a shocking display of effeciency, the Aeroski is suddenly
running again! Will wonders never cease...

That said, the funicular's been suffering from the odd technical
difficulty in the last couple of days.

Matt