January snow

Old September 6th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Arne And

Default January snow

Right...

Have this strategy worked for you lately? And in the case, where did
you go??

lal_truckee wrote:
wrote:
Hi. I decided to take January off, to go looking for the best snow in
the world (telemarking).

The best snow in the world is easy to find; on Dec 31 1) check the base
pack on all likely mountains (paying considerable attention to avalanche
stability) and 2) check the weather for a coming big, COLD dump. Match
the two for best combination, and hie thee to tha' place. You can't
pre-plan if "Best" is the pertinent word.

Old September 6th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

Actually, it works for me. Always stay flexible. Of course, I travel alone
or with a like minded friend, rarely make reservations, and follow the sun.
Oh, yeah. I live out west and drive. Important for flexibility....

oups.com...

Old September 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Arne And wrote:
Right...

Have this strategy worked for you lately? And in the case, where did
you go??

Recently? Last couple-three years I've managed to turn up at The Hole,
Solitude, and Mammoth for big cold dumps; but of course this LAST year I
very properly stayed right around here enjoying a continuous March
onward siege of "the best snow in the world" - it was trying at times,
but someone had to do it.

Looks like a likely dump when locally there's a down cycle? - I can be
in Wyoming/Utah/SoCal in a (longish) day's drive with a load of skis and
boots and cases of fine wine and beer, roof up at cheap digs, and knock
off a week or two of fine lines without any whoop ti to. It's all one
big play ground, n'est pas?

So - how's it been working for you?

Old September 6th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Arne And wrote:
Hum... Good call, will keep that in mind.

What is your favourite spot??

snoig wrote:
wrote:
Hi. I decided to take January off, to go looking for the best snow in
the world (telemarking).

Anyone have ideas to where start looking?

Thanks in advance

Where ever they got the most snow last night.

Well, here's a list you use for a start. Personally, I would base
myself out of JH or Alta and follow the storm tracks. You can pretty
much hit any place in the west within a days drive of Alta. If money
is more of a deciding factor, Colorado has some of the best deals on
season passes but much less snow than Utah. Keep in mind that while
Tahoe may get lots of snow, it's generally not as light as Utah or
Colorado snow.

Annual Snowfall
for U.S. and Canadaian
Ski Resorts

595 inches
Mt. Baker - Washington

516 inches
Grand Targhee - Alta, Wyoming

500 inches
Alta - Alta, Utah

500 inches
Brighton - Brighton, Utah

500 inches
Snowbird - Alta, Utah

500 inches
Sugar Bowl - Norden, California

465 inches
Wolf Creek - Pagosa Springs, Colorado

450 inches
Kirkwood - Kirkwood, California

450 inches
Solitude - Solitude, Utah

430 inches
Mt. Hood Meadows - Mt. Hood, Oregon

425 inches
Alpine Meadows - Lake Tahoe, California

400 inches
Big Sky - Big Sky, Montana

400 inches
Boreal - Truckee, California

400 inches
Jackson Hole Ski Resort - Teton Village, Wyoming

392 inches
Loveland Ski Area - Georgetown, Colorado

360 inches
Arapahoe Basin - Keystone, Colorado

360 inches
Bear Valley - Bear Valley, California

355 inches
Winter Park - Winter Park, Colorado

353 inches
Mammoth Mountain - Mammoth Lakes, California

350 inches
Bridger Bowl - Bozeman, Montana

350 inches
Fernie Snow Valley - British Columbia, Canada

350 inches
Northstar-at-Tahoe - Truckee, California

350 inches
Park City - Park City, Utah

340 inches
Crystal Mountain - Crystal Mountain, Washington

335 inches
Vail - Vail, Colorado

330 inches
Beaver Creek - Avon, Colorado

325 inches
Jay Peak - Jay, Vermont

303 inches
Taos - Taos, New Mexico

300 inches
Aspen Highlands - Aspen, Colorado

300 inches
Aspen Mountain - Aspen, Colorado

300 inches
Deer Valley - Park City, Utah

300 inches
Eaglecrest - Juneau, Alaska

300 inches
Red Mountain - Rossland, British Columbia

300 inches
Snowmass Ski Area - Snowmass Village, Colorado

300 inches
Steamboat - Steamboat Springs, Colorado

300 inches
Telluride - Telluride, Colorado

300 inches
The Big Mountain - Whitefish, Montana

298 inches
Crested Butte - Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado

272 inches
Smuggler's Notch - Smuggler's Notch, Vermont

270 inches
Sugarbush - Mad River Glen, Vermont

260 inches
Bolton Valley Resort - Bolton, Vermont

255 inches
Breckenridge - Breckenridge, Colorado

250 inches
Killington - Killington, Vermont

250 inches
Red Lodge Mountain - Red Lodge, Montana

250 inches
Stowe - Stowe, Vermont

230 inches
Keystone - Keystone, Colorado

225 inches
Mad River Glen - Waitsfield, Vermont

225 inches
Santa Fe Ski Area - Santa Fe, New Mexico

200 inches
Buttermilk - Aspen, Colorado

194 inches
Sugarloaf/USA - Carrabassett Valley, Maine

191 inches
Mont Sutton - Sutton, Québec

180 inches
Badger Pass - Yosemite National Park

180 inches
Mont-Sainte-Anne - Beaupré, Québec

168 inches
Whiteface - Lake Placid, New York

158 inches
Marmot Basin - Jasper, Alberta

155 inches
Sunday River - Bethel, ME

153 inches
Mount Snow - Mount Snow, Vermont

150 inches
Cannon Mountain - Franconia, New Hampshire

150 inches
Gore Mountain - North Creek, New York

145 inches
Bromley Mountain - Manchester Center, Vermont

140 inches
Waterville Valley - Waterville Valley, New Hampshire

120 inches
Attitash Bear Peak - Bartlett, New Hampshire

120 inches
Bristol Mountain - Canandaigua, New York

120 inches
Snow King - Jackson, Wyoming

118 inches
Panorama - Panorama, British Columbia

100+ inches
Belleayre Mountain - Highmount, New York

80 inches
Suicide Six - Woodstock, Vermont

75 inches
Snow Summit - Big Bear Lake, California

75 inches
Mt. Sunapee - Mt. Sunapee, New Hampshire

Old September 7th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

snoig wrote:

340 inches
Crystal Mountain - Crystal Mountain, Washington

or maybe

450 inches
Stevens Pass - Stevens Pass, Washington

-- Mike Treseler
Old September 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

snoig wrote:

Well, here's a list you use for a start. Personally, I would base
myself out of JH or Alta and follow the storm tracks. You can pretty
much hit any place in the west within a days drive of Alta. If money
is more of a deciding factor, Colorado has some of the best deals on
season passes but much less snow than Utah. Keep in mind that while
Tahoe may get lots of snow, it's generally not as light as Utah or
Colorado snow.

Annual Snowfall
for U.S. and Canadaian Ski Resorts

595 inches
Mt. Baker - Washington

75 inches
Snow Summit - Big Bear Lake, California

Dear god, kill me now :-(

I think Mountain High gets even less, though. Still, as long as SS
claims two feet it's skiable. Less than that is doubleplusungood.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the
Old September 7th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

The Real Bev wrote:
snoig wrote:

Well, here's a list you use for a start. Personally, I would base
myself out of JH or Alta and follow the storm tracks. You can pretty
much hit any place in the west within a days drive of Alta. If money
is more of a deciding factor, Colorado has some of the best deals on
season passes but much less snow than Utah. Keep in mind that while
Tahoe may get lots of snow, it's generally not as light as Utah or
Colorado snow.

Annual Snowfall
for U.S. and Canadaian Ski Resorts

595 inches
Mt. Baker - Washington

75 inches
Snow Summit - Big Bear Lake, California

Dear god, kill me now :-(

I think Mountain High gets even less, though. Still, as long as SS
claims two feet it's skiable. Less than that is doubleplusungood.

They're not counting the man-made, are they?

The best snowfalls at the Big Bear areas can't be too big, or the roads
up the mountains will be closed.

Old September 7th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
snoig wrote:

[...]

Probably not. That would be cheating.

The best snowfalls at the Big Bear areas can't be too big, or the roads
up the mountains will be closed.

But open again by the afternoon. There were a couple of years long ago
where chains were required both ways because of dumpage+ice. That's
before I knew you weren't supposed to drive 45+ with chains...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 7th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

"Mike Treseler" wrote in message
snoig wrote:

340 inches
Crystal Mountain - Crystal Mountain, Washington

or maybe

450 inches
Stevens Pass - Stevens Pass, Washington

Yeah, but you would still be at Stevens. Skied out Cascade crap.

Old September 7th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Arne And

Wow! Thanks alot! This is a fairly complete list! And should give some
guidance of where to be able to expect snow. Did you make this list
based on your own experiences??