Snow Skate questions

Old December 25th 03, 05:21 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Snow Skate questions

Note: This question is NOT about the snowboards that you attach your feet
to.

Onward: Got my 14 yr old son a snow skate, the type that's like a regular
skateboard, but with a ski attached to the bottom. Buying this gift was a
long shot because he wasn't quite sure if he wanted that kind, or the
simpler flat boards (but still not the "attach your feet" type). His
comments so far are that he thinks it would be easier to do something like a
kick flip with the flat kind. My view (as the 50yr old observer) is that you
need a few inches of ground clearance in order to roll the board sideways.
It needs someplace to go, right? On a regular skateboard, the trucks &
wheels provide that clearance, so on a snow skate, the attached ski serves
the same purpose. The kid thinks a trick like this would be easy on the
flat type because the front & rear tips curve up quite a bit. I'm thinking
"Yeah....but aren't you looking for your LATERAL roll for a kick flip, more
so than downward force at the front or back?" What do I know? I'm just a
father.

To add to the confusion, the guys at two stores felt that the attached-ski
type allows for more interesting turns, which makes sense. The kid says "OK,
but that's not what I envision doing with this board". And then, I think
"Can you really do a kick flip on a slippery surface? Don't you need a
grippy surface to keep the board from sliding sideways?" To this, my son
says "Whuh?"

So: I'm interested in some "which one is better for what" opinions from
people who've tried these boards. My son would've written this, but he's
lost in a Tony Hawk video game at the moment.

Old December 29th 03, 06:27 PM
Snowboardripper

For my 2 cents, the snow skate can be used on the mountain in a small
terain park. Or in the backyard! I have seen people use it for the
fun box, rails and small jumps. It is amazing what they can do with
it.
check out
http://www.campofchampions.com/Video...kSnowskate.mov

no problems for kick flips!

he will have a blast with the snow skate!
Old December 30th 03, 09:37 PM
Ed

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
[...]

OK, to actually do a flip you need to at least ollie the board a bit
(skateboard or anything). If you can ollie a snow skate AND the
ski-less board (not sure what it's called), then either one SHOULD be
flip-able. However, IF they both can be ollied equally, then the
ski-less board should flip easier (less weight to rotate) AND
definitely safer (picture slicing your boot or leg on a half flipped
snow skate). I do not know if the ski-less board can gererate the
spring in the tail for an ollie (but I guess: yes) and I know that
snow skates (at least Burton) are actually skate decks so they have
spring capability.
I CAN tell you this: I can flip my regular snowboard by placing my
front foot against the binding (to hold my foot from sliding off like
grip tape) and working the binding horseshoe with my back toe. I
generate a tiny ollie and flip that binding hard and it can make it
around. So I would think either of those skate type boards will ollie
with some practice.
FWIW, I think the snow skate has more real mountain (terrain park)
usability.

-Ed

Grasshopper questions Tom Snowboarding 4 December 29th 03 04:23 PM
It's Dumping Snow All Over !!!!!!! Greg Snowboarding 0 November 19th 03 07:13 PM
LLBean Snow Boots for Sale RR Snowboarding 0 October 18th 03 08:48 PM
Snow Kiting JJ28 Snowboarding 0 October 4th 03 01:29 PM
Whistler snow! VIP Mountain Holidays Snowboarding 1 September 16th 03 09:08 PM